• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New fossils speculation

Years
  • Another expected trend in a new generation is fossil Pokemon, which tend to come in duos. That said, what kinds of prehistoric creatures are you hoping to see for the next fossil Pokemon, or what secondary types they'll have aside from Rock?

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    I'd like to see a triceratops as a fossil Pokemon. As for typing, call me crazy, but I'd like to see Rock/Electric.

Shiny

content creator on twitch
    Years
  • I would like to see a fossil typing that we haven't seen before.

I'm thinking Rock / Fairy or Rock / Dark even.

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    Normal/Rock would be interesting. Also I wish they bring back the 3rd fossil like Aerodactyl that don't require to pick.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Every gen I'm gonna ask for the same thing: I want our "obligatory electric rodent" to double as (one of) our fossil Pokémon. It could be some sort of ancient rodent and be Electric/Rock. I think that would be a fun twist on both ends.

pkmin3033

I'd like a more reptilian sea-dwelling fossil Pokemon, maybe a massive one based on a Liopleurodon or Mosasaur. It'd probably wind up being another Rock/Water type, but design is more important to me than typing, and none of the existing water-dwelling fossil Pokemon really look like dinosaurs, nor are they particularly big. This one would be massive - like, Wailord-sized - and probably be a standalone with no evo or pre-evo. It's unlikely to happen, but it'd be nice!

Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2017
    The fact that every fossil Pokemon is primarily rock type is quite annoying.

I don't really know why this is still a trend after all the games, surely reviving a creature in it's entirety from a fossil(rock) wouldn't mean it's instantly a rock type?

Doubt anything would change that, i would like to see Rock/Electric, Rock/Poison and Rock/Fighting type fossil pokemon.

Thepowaofhax

Spectre
    Years
    • Seen May 29, 2017
    We need a danger noodle.

A very big danger noodle. Like, the size of a bus/The kind that could eat a fifteen foot long crocodile.
    New fossils speculation

We need a big danger noodle, preferably Rock/Normal since it was a danger noodle with no toxins/poisons. It mainly strangled things.

(Yes this thing is real and is very terrifying.)

Last edited:

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Two set choices I have two set choices:

Dinosaurs: Rock/Grass Stegosauria and Rock/Dark Dromeaosaurid

Non-Dinosaours: Rock/Ice Mammoth and Rock/Electric Smilidon (Sabre-toothed cat)

I'd like to see a triceratops as a fossil Pokemon. As for typing, call me crazy, but I'd like to see Rock/Electric.

Bastiodon already fills the criteria of a cerotopsid Pokémon.

pkmin3033

Non-Dinosaours: Rock/Ice Mammoth and Rock/Electric Smilidon (Sabre-toothed cat)

I can't see there being a mammoth since we've already got the Swinub line to fill this hole. A sabre-toothed cat would be interesting, but I can't help but think of Raikou...maybe a different secondary typing?

One thing I'd find highly interesting - although extremely irritating, because we've got enough of the things - would be if they had a prehistoric monkey/caveman type Pokemon, to provide the missing link between Pokemon and Man and muddy the waters up good and proper. xD

Thepowaofhax

Spectre
    Years
    • Seen May 29, 2017

I can't see there being a mammoth since we've already got the Swinub line to fill this hole. A sabre-toothed cat would be interesting, but I can't help but think of Raikou...maybe a different secondary typing?

One thing I'd find highly interesting - although extremely irritating, because we've got enough of the things - would be if they had a prehistoric monkey/caveman type Pokemon, to provide the missing link between Pokemon and Man and muddy the waters up good and proper. xD
    Here's the thing though; is that Pokemon still technically a Pokemon and not a human or is using it in a battle/etc technically enslavement? It could cause a moral outcry (though I doubt those people are the same ones that buy the games.)

pkmin3033

Here's the thing though; is that Pokemon still technically a Pokemon and not a human or is using it in a battle/etc technically enslavement? It could cause a moral outcry (though I doubt those people are the same ones that buy the games.)
    Well if it ever DID happen I expect the Pokedex entries would be very, VERY specific, and probably relate it to modern-day monkey/ape Pokemon. It's highly doubtful it'd ever happen, but as I said, it'd be quite amusing for the speculation it'd kick up. It'd also be a nice way to link fossil Pokemon of the past to modern day Pokemon. This sort of thing wouldn't be my first choice, but it'd be an alternative to dinosaurs etc.

Sirfetch’d

Personally, I wouldn't be too sad to see no fossil Pokemon. Don't get me wrong--I do like them but it's becoming quite a boring trend and none of the fossil Pokemon really stand out to me as of late. I'd really like to see a unique twist on them if they are brought back, maybe even playing an important part in the story instead of being shoved to the side and somewhat forgotten about.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years

• I can't see there being a mammoth since we've already got the Swinub line to fill this hole. A sabre-toothed cat would be interesting, but I can't help but think of Raikou...maybe a different secondary typing?

The Swinub line is suppose to be more like boars than mammoth (in Mamoswine's case, TP Ganon). Are the legendary beasts suppose to be a mishmash of other canine and feline specimens?

Arjay

#GoStags
    Years
  • Velociraptor, Stegosaurus, Quetzalcoatlus, Spinosaurus, Dilophosaurus, Liopleurodon, Ankylosaurus, Dimetrodon, Mammoth (an actual mammoth with a trunk, not Mamoswine the giant tusky pig), Indricotherium, Doedicurus, Elasmotherium, Megatherium, Smilodon, Moa, Dodo, Megaloceros. Any of them I'd be happy with. I'm not picky. Much. ^^

pkmin3033

The Swinub line is suppose to be more like boars than mammoth (in Mamoswine's case, TP Ganon). Are the legendary beasts suppose to be a mishmash of other canine and feline specimens?
    Fair point, although the Ice/Ground typing, and Mamoswine's appearance in particular, puts me in mind of a mammoth...how do you think Ice/Rock Mammoth Fossil Pokemon would look?

Raikou is loosely based on a sabre-toothed tiger in terms of its build, although it draws the rest of the inspiration for its design from elsewhere; it's a literal thunder cat, haha. I think a sabre-toothed cat fossil would be awesome, but I can't see it being part Electric because of the similarities. I guess it'd depend on the colour scheme, though?

Years
  • What I do hope to see from the next fossil Pokemon are more unique type combinations, because I loved Tyrunt and Amaura not just for design but for introducing new type combinations. Really hoping for a Rock/Fighting or Rock/Electric Pokemon especially.

Sirfetch’d

What I do hope to see from the next fossil Pokemon are more unique type combinations, because I loved Tyrunt and Amaura not just for design but for introducing new type combinations. Really hoping for a Rock/Fighting or Rock/Electric Pokemon especially.

You know something like a Rock/Fire or Fairy and a Rock/Dark fossil for Sun version and Moon version respectively would be kinda cool.

Years
  • You know something like a Rock/Fire or Fairy and a Rock/Dark fossil for Sun version and Moon version respectively would be kinda cool.

That could be interesting, and I don't think we've had another Rock/Fire and Rock/Dark aside from Magcargo and Tyranitar. However, I don't want another Rock/Fairy so soon after Carbink and Diancie.

Sirfetch’d

That could be interesting, and I don't think we've had another Rock/Fire and Rock/Dark aside from Magcargo and Tyranitar. However, I don't want another Rock/Fairy so soon after Carbink and Diancie.

Yeah that type combination has been used quite a bit.... Idk, I just really want a more unique fossil that ties in with the story :>

Back