• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: New Pokemon - Turtonator

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    Pretty cool mon, nice typing and design. Cool move and a lot of potential. Was a good reveal before whatever they want to be known from worlds.

MegaKuriboh

Yare Yare Daze
    Years
    I think he's really cool, I might end up using one on my team, depending on what Litten or Salandit evolve into. Also nice to see more Fire/Dragon types.

Years
    I hope Shell Trap gets good distribution, it's like a reverse Focus Punch. The Pokemon itself looks like Druddigon 2.0, pretty cool and all, but I'm guessing they're saving bigger news for the Worlds finals on Sunday.

It's been stated on the official Sun & Moon site that Shell Trap is Turtonator's signature move, since it's said only Turtonator can learn it.

Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2016
    I'm totally naming it Gamera. I expect this Pokemon being a trap if paired up with Pokemon like Shadow Tag or Arena Trap.

Think about it. Invest the right EV's to make him Tanky, use Encore on any Pokemon that uses a physical attack and voila! maybe give him a Life Orb too.

Years
    IcyIce mentioned in another thread that Turtonator is also partially based on the Dragon Turtle, a creature in Chinese mythology. I guess that could likely explain its typing.

Kameken

URYYYYYYYYY
    Years
    Definitely naming mine Bowser.

But, seriously, they need to stop making such good new fire types. At this rate, I'll have nothing else on my team.

Years
    Because Shuckle's not a turtle Pokémon?

Well, according to Bulbapedia Shuckle is based slightly on a turtle, but it's more based on an endolith which is an organism that lives in porous rocks or animal shells. Its design also seems to have elements of an abalone thrown in as well. Its limp-looking limbs also suggest molluscs.

Bay

Years
    While I prefer the other designs of the new Pokemon, Turtonator still looks cool to me. Like everyone else, Shell Trap sounds interesting and curious if it will be used often in competitive.

Dracowyn

Hell's Traffic Accident
    Years
    I'm not really a fan of it. But it's not like I hate it either. I doubt I'll use one for my team though since I'm choosing Litten as my starter in Moon and are probably gonna add Salandit as the fire type in my Sun team.

But who knows, maybe I'll use one in later playthroughs.

Years
    Btw, there's typo in the banner on top of the article, it says Tortunator.

Tortunator is its German name. Remember that Gamescom is a German event so it was why we had the German name revealed before the English name, which is confusing when you look at two letters being swapped.

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
    I am not really crazy about the way it looks; its design is pretty ugly imo D:

However, I like its type and I love how its shell is used for offense and defense. Its ability is pretty cool :3

Years
    Who is Tortonator?

Last edited:
    Years
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Feb 17, 2021
    I'd have rather had a proper dragon for the first non-legendary Fire/Dragon, but I guess this is okay. Hopefully it'll grow on me like Drampa did.

Years
    However, I like its type and I love how its shell is used for offense and defense. Its ability is pretty cool :3

Except that Shell Armor is an ability we've already seen on a lot of Pokemon.

But you know, I expect Turtonator's stats to likely favor high Attack and Defense, with low special stats and Speed. Turtle-based Pokemon and most Pokemon with shells tend to be slow so that's why I'm predicting it.

Years
    I wish it didn't look kinda ugly though (like its skin looks really grey and ew), but can't expect much in the terms of looks for a spiked turtle.

I thought Turtonator was ugly upon my first reaction as well, but I'm sure it will grow on you soon. Then again, there's only some things you can do when it comes to specific Pokemon designs.

Back