• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nicknames

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laguna

Sir Zangoose
Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Aug 31, 2016
    Do you tend nickname your pokémon? If so, are there any themes you like to stick to or do you just come up with them at random?

I'll nickname my pokémon sometimes but not always, coming up with nicknames can be kinda hard sometimes. When I do nickname them I usually just make them references to different games, anime, etc.

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017
    I will almost 100% of the time, except when the Pokemon is from another trainer or the Pokemon is for my living dex.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    I give nicknames only to the more permanent members of my party, or any Pokemon I catch that I intend to use - because I usually at least attempt to complete the Dex, I just don't really have the time to come up with unique names for every Weedle or Bidoof I catch. :P

A general theme or category of names I like to use are Roman/Greek deity names, and I try to match up the domain of the God/Goddess with the general type of the Pokemon. Poseidon (God of the sea) for Lapras, Kratos (personification of strength) for Lucario, etc.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I very rarely do because then I can't remember who is who. (LOL) There might be a handful of Pokemon I have ever give a nick name to.

Crystal Berry

[span="text-shadow: 0 1px 0 rgba(0,0,0,0.12); font
    Years
  • I'm not very creative so I usually only nickname a couple of Pokemon. Most nicknames that I come up with are really unimaginative and bad. :/

AkameTheBulbasaur

Akame Marukawa of Iyotono
    Years
  • I just nickname them whatever names first pop into my head. I have a lot of Pokemon that are named things like "Charlie" or "Hannah" or "David" or normal names like that. A lot of the time I have Pokemon named after my friends because they were in the room when I was nicknaming the Pokemon.

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
    Years
  • Whenever I give nicknames to my teams of Pokemon, I make sure that the nicknames I use have certain themes. Here are the themes I have used for coming up with nicknames:
    In Blue: Star Wars Republic Commando Squads (Examples: Delta, Omega, Yayax)
    In Soul Silver: Decepticons (Examples: Galvatron, Soundwave, Shockwave)
    In Sapphire: Star Wars Sith Lords (Examples: Revan, Maul, Vader)
    In Platinum: World Leaders (Examples: Napoleon, Ramses, Washington)
    In White: Legendary Weapons (Examples: Durendal, Gungnir, Kusanagi)
    In White 2: Anti-Heroes (Examples: John Rambo, Bender, Altair)
    In X: World War II Ships (Examples: Enterprise, Hood, Bismarck)
    In Alpha Sapphire: Star Wars Jedi (Examples: Luke, Obi-Wan, Yoda)

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • I only nickname the Pokemon that I intend to be permanent fixtures on my team. I usually come up with some kind of naming scheme. I have two competitive teams named after Full Metal Alchemist characters (one is based on the original series, the other is based on Brotherhood). Or I just choose something that I think is fitting--e.g. my Goodra named Stickybuns, my Greninja named Deathstroke, my Dialga named The Doctor, and my Celebi named River Song :3

Sadly though, when I can't think of a good nickname, I just don't give them one :c It'd be nice if I were creative enough to name all of my Pokemon.

Years
  • I nickname my in-game Pokemon to make them stand out from the ones I use competitively. Most of my nicknames are very short, because it tends to add to the simplicity. A Pokemon is usually named after something that I associate it with. For example:

-Salamence/Azure
    -Charizard/Fuego
    -Swampert/Uliek

Depending on the species, the name may or may not have derivatives based on what gender the Pokemon is.

magicalgirlj

I liek Popplio
    Years
  • Yup nicknames makes Pokemon even more fun for me. I love naming my Pokemon after anime, manga, video game, visual novel, movie, tV show characters and my friends.

Call me Gamma

Dusty Old Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2017
    I will nickname the mons I use for competitive play, but it always takes me a while to settle on something. I'm very wary about the nicknames I use because I want them to be something I won't regret later.

Years
    • Seen Oct 27, 2016
    I think im the only one who do this, but i name ny pokemon with ny friends' names. Like if i captured a whismur, id name it based on a friend of mine whos talkative lol.

Years
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back