• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nintendo 3DS Discussion

Will you be getting the new 3DS/3DS XL when it is released?

• Definitely!

Votes: 25 59.5%
  • Nah, I'll pass...

Votes: 17 40.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
    As far as things go, another poorly chosen name by Nintendo.

As far as what this means: I think it's continuing the wave of Nintendo's new outlook on the gaming industry. Seems like they're pushing hard to maintain a core set of values and work on dedicating support to the gamer crowd, rather than the casual market. Or so we can hope.

This will allow more games to reach the "New 3DS" system and hopefully us 3DSers too. While I don't like it for some personal reasons, I think it's an okay step for Nintendo to take to improve for the future. It's almost like the N64's expansion pak that increased the capabilities of the system. I just hope Nintendo takes better advantage of the software upgrade and this thing isn't a one-or-two shot in the dark.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    As far as things go, another poorly chosen name by Nintendo.

As far as what this means: I think it's continuing the wave of Nintendo's new outlook on the gaming industry. Seems like they're pushing hard to maintain a core set of values and work on dedicating support to the gamer crowd, rather than the casual market. Or so we can hope.
    But I think these two things go hand in hand. Mainly because the casual crowd will be something of a wildcard in terms of which one they pick up, but at the same time, it won't matter too much because the distinctions probably won't affect them.

At the same time, advertising a new 3DS does give some sense of a generational leap to those that don't know otherwise (ie the casual crowd), which is ironic, considering the 3DS was the exact opposite and people just thought it was a "3D DS". But it's good for sales.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
    But I think these two things go hand in hand. Mainly because the casual crowd will be something of a wildcard in terms of which one they pick up, but at the same time, it won't matter too much because the distinctions probably won't affect them.

At the same time, advertising a new 3DS does give some sense of a generational leap to those that don't know otherwise (ie the casual crowd), which is ironic, considering the 3DS was the exact opposite and people just thought it was a "3D DS". But it's good for sales.

Yeah, I definitely agree that it's mostly a win-win for Nintendo in terms of appeal. Win because the gamers will like the new features (c-stick or whatever, enhanced graphics, etc.), while newcomers to the brand will feel it's a great, portable machine).

Part of me wishes Nintendo would either bring back old names like calling the Wii U the Super Nintendo (2) and the 3DS the "Gameman" or something. :P I know those are terrible, but still, haha.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    I think its going to be the Amiibo brand being used for the logo is going to be the main drawing point for the casuals like I said before. My cousin,son,nephew wants these Nintendo figures for games on his 3DS. Amiibos mentioned, and then said consumer notices the word new on some 3DSs. Wonders what they are, store employee explains the need for either a portal for the "old 3DS, or you can use em straight away on these new ones, along with all this other cool stuff. Boom unit sold, and word of mouth happens. In the same way I can see a Wii U rebranding as the New Wii U. Nothing changes, just a new design in general matching the 3DS. I'm expecting this gen to the testing ground for next gens unifications.
    Anyway, mentioned yesterday how I couldn't get why they had to redesign the face butons to put a full circle pad but todqy I realized it was the chip they were talking about, which is much more understandable. Oh and I also think its going to be great. Was playing with my OG to see its position and it feels comfortable enough that I can see myself getting very used to it. Also it being a trackpad.has my interest. If its feedback is excellent, I wonder if a slightly bigger one would be the next circle pad.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
    Years
    I wouldn't have a problem if this was the original 3DS. I already have an XL, see no reason to buy another one.

You will have to buy the NEW 3DS to have 3D Double Battles.

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
    Years
    And I was just thinking of getting a 3DS XL. Glad I didn't go get one. Hopefully Gamestop will have some sort of trade-in promotion, and I can trade in my 2nd 3DS for this new, more awesome 3DS (maybe I'll get the XL version of that).

Years
    The console looks really sleek, I love the colors of the buttons. Reminds me of the GameCube, of course! It might be nice to upgrade to an XL, especially if it's this new one, but I just don't think it's worth it for me right now.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    Despite my previous post, I'm having second thoughts on buying it. Of course it won't be available to other countries until likely around early spring next year. I figure by that time, if enough exclusive games are mentioned and more details are revealed, it may be worth trading in my first XL for. But, that's to be decided. I'm on the fence right now for it but leaning a little more towards a yes, considering I wouldn't even buy it until a little under a year.

Still hate those button colors though tbh. And that name, what the hell. Why not just call it 3DSi lol.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    I like the color buttons, as they remind me of my old Nintendo 64 controllers.
    Since this system has more power than the normal 3DS versions it is a good time for them to remake Pokemon Colosseum and XD imo.

I am assuming that Gen VII will benefit from this system much like Gen V did from the DSi...actually this new system will be great for an even larger than Kalos region like the Backpacker in XY said.

Anyways, the system looks nice. I kind of want that Monster Hunter one, even if I haven't played any of those games, it just looks that nice.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I'm pretty fond of how those face-plates are replaceable. If we ever get tired of the system's color and wind up with urges to buy a new 3DS set and whatnot, we'd simply be able to swap our plates, and that, hopefully, would do the trick for us. It's also got extended battery life, or so I've heard, which is a plus.

Would I be getting it? I've been planning to buy myself a new 3DS for about a year (nothing's wrong with my current; it's just that my sister and I constantly find ourselves sharing, so I believe getting another 3DS system all together would solve that issue), but couldn't as I'd always wind up spending my spare money one way or another. If they do release this version throughout US at some point, then this time around, I definitely wouldn't mind putting some extra effort into saving cash for it. In general, these versions look pretty good, if you ask me, and being able to get my hands on one would be great.

Altius

Flygon Fan
    Years
    Updated the front video with an official one from Nintendo Japan. It showcases the updates/differences better.

I'm now torn. I love the 3DS LL's big screen (and the quality of the display is actually still acceptable, not as pixelated compared to DSi and DSi XL) but the new 3DS's customisable face plates are also shouting at me. I currently own the 3DS LL and I'm not sure if going back to a smaller screen can be a downgrade, but those plates are pretty and rather affordable. (Yoshi at ¥1,500, yes please!)

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    Eh. The n3DS is nearly 4 inches for the top, I don't see why an XL would be necessary. Hell, I thought the original XL was unnecessary. Only reason one would get an XL would be for the better 1:1 DS mode, but that's about it. Pixel density should be better on the n3DS. And anyway, faceplates! That pumpkin orange+black is a dream.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
    Apparently they are also going to be filtering the n3ds's internet and will require a fee to disable the filter.

https://kotaku.com/new-3ds-filters-the-internet-unless-you-pay-0-30-extr-1628433983

The fee is small, but still...

Well, it's going to come a bit late for me to buy. I'm going to get a new XL in a month or so, so I'll have to pass on the n3ds xl and just get the basic model when it's out. Actually, I might just wait a while longer and buy a n2ds instead.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    Eh. The n3DS is nearly 4 inches for the top, I don't see why an XL would be necessary. Hell, I thought the original XL was unnecessary. Only reason one would get an XL would be for the better 1:1 DS mode, but that's about it. Pixel density should be better on the n3DS. And anyway, faceplates! That pumpkin orange+black is a dream.
    I dunno. It was jarring enough having to play on such a small screen after being so used to the DSiXL after I got my original 3DS. The moment the XL came out, I nabbed it, and I was back at home.

So for someone like me who enjoys the larger screen isn't interested in the faceplates, it makes sense.

Altius

Flygon Fan
    Years
    Apparently they are also going to be filtering the n3ds's internet and will require a fee to disable the filter.

https://kotaku.com/new-3ds-filters-the-internet-unless-you-pay-0-30-extr-1628433983

The fee is small, but still...

Well, it's going to come a bit late for me to buy. I'm going to get a new XL in a month or so, so I'll have to pass on the n3ds xl and just get the basic model when it's out. Actually, I might just wait a while longer and buy a n2ds instead.

The ¥30 fee is to disable moderation of inappropriate content.

I highly doubt anyone would pay for this. It is a very small amount, but come on. A 3DS to view such things? Why would that be needed when smartphones and tablets are easily accessible today?

Even with the spec improvements, I don't think the browser will be THAT impressive.

Years

I highly doubt anyone would pay for this. It is a very small amount, but come on. A 3DS to view such things? Why would that be needed when smartphones and tablets are easily accessible today?

Even with the spec improvements, I don't think the browser will be THAT impressive.

Same here. If they decide to bring this mechanic to the US, I don't think I'll be paying. It's not worth the trouble, since I generally don't use my 3DS to go on the internet except for uploading screenshots.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
    I don't intend to use the browser on it, but my point is this - They are charging for a feature just because they can.

The cost is mainly to check for a valid card, but why this much? And do they plan to refund it? All of the verification fee's I've done, banking mainly, have been small amounts - 5 or so cents - which were refunded after verification.

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022

The cost is irrelevant. I thought parental controls came on the 3DS for free. :P If it's only supposed to be 'for the children,' then the parents should be taking responsibility. Whether it's 30 cents or 30 bucks, charging anything to remove a preset parental control system - what, because you don't trust the parents will do something about it themselves? - is ridiculous.

Besides - we all know filters don't often work as intended. Some dumb things can be flagged as inappropriate, and some inappropriate things may not be flagged at all.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back