• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nintendo 3DS Discussion

Will you be getting the new 3DS/3DS XL when it is released?

• Definitely!

Votes: 25 59.5%
  • Nah, I'll pass...

Votes: 17 40.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Does pixel density increase from 3DS to 3DS XL? Or am I just getting an inflated picture?
    They're the same, so the 3DS is perhaps a bit sharper with some games. That said, I much prefer the larger size and think the trade off is definitely worth it; the stretching isn't major by any means.
    Normally waiting would make a lot of sense, but I assure you I will simply be playing ORAS. I'm a PC gamer, and only when I was a kid could I stand gaming on such a tiny screen. I hate gaming on my phone but I do it on the subway to pass the time.

With that in mind, I guess the bigger the screen the better, so that a plus for 3DS XL. But is the screen really that noticeably bigger? Would I really feel a difference in the XL versus the stock 3DS?
    Yes, it is noticeably bigger. When my friend let me try his it was very noticeable, and whenever I use my original 3DS since getting my 3DS XL it is very obvious that it is smaller. But that's me. =p

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
    The XL is so much more comfortable for me than the original 3DS. I didn't really enjoy playing the 3DS that much before I got my XL because of the small size. Plus the screen on the original 3DS seems like it has some sort of filter or something on it that makes it blurry and prone to glare.

Yeah, the pixel density sucks on the XL, and it actually does get to be heavy and cumbersome after a while, but I think the tradeoff is worth it.

Not sure whether I'll get a new 3DS or 3DS XL though - I hate the fact that the XL doesn't have faceplates and has a glossy finish, and the n3DS is bigger than the current 3DS, so I'll have to get some hands-on time before making a decision.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    Okay its a lot, but its no different from the early 90s, were probably if you weren't in the loop, you could confuse the NES with the SNES as well. And its not like there was just those 2 models, you had your fair share of em:
    NES
    NES Top Loader
    SNES
    SNES Jr

Okay, the Jr came out while the N64 was around, but still my point stands. And its obvious that right now they're trying to clear stock of the 3DS/XL, or at least the XL. Australia getting it in November, THIS November, is a pretty clear sign of that. Afterwards the selection would be:
    N3DS
    N3DSXL
    2DS

What is honestly so bad about that? The OG needs to be replaced as there literally is almost no stock for it, the XL has to clear like I said, and the 2DS, well they ****ed up badly in that department. I honestly cannot see the naming issues.

destinedjagold

I do not exist.
    Years
    • Seen May 26, 2024
    ...i suddenly remembered my annoying conversation with my best friend last month. It was about the difference between a DS and a 3DS...through chat. Ugh...

I suppose those who aren't really following the consoles can easily mistake or not know the names properly. :/

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    Okay its a lot, but its no different from the early 90s, were probably if you weren't in the loop, you could confuse the NES with the SNES as well. And its not like there was just those 2 models, you had your fair share of em:
    NES
    NES Top Loader
    SNES
    SNES Jr

Okay, the Jr came out while the N64 was around, but still my point stands. And its obvious that right now they're trying to clear stock of the 3DS/XL, or at least the XL. Australia getting it in November, THIS November, is a pretty clear sign of that. Afterwards the selection would be:
    N3DS
    N3DSXL
    2DS

What is honestly so bad about that? The OG needs to be replaced as there literally is almost no stock for it, the XL has to clear like I said, and the 2DS, well they ****ed up badly in that department. I honestly cannot see the naming issues.
    The improved NES and SNES models didn't even have the benefit of an "XL" in their name. They were still called just "NES" and "SNES". That's a naming issue. They were more in line with the Wii mini I think

Not sure if this has already been posted but... Good News fellow Aussies and Kiwis! https://au.ign.com/articles/2014/09/24/new-nintendo-3ds-to-launch-in-australia-and-nz-in-november?utm_campaign=fbposts&utm_source=facebook
    The New 3DS and 3DS XL is coming early for us. November 21st. That date ring a bell? Same day as OR/AS release. Please Nintendo, special edition please.
    November 17 - 22 is generally a go-to Nintendo date for big releases; at least in North America. Not the case where you are?

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    The improved NES and SNES models didn't even have the benefit of an "XL" in their name. They were still called just "NES" and "SNES". That's a naming issue. They were more in line with the Wii mini I think

November 17 - 22 is generally a go-to Nintendo date for big releases; at least in North America. Not the case where you are?
    We've gotten games ~around~ that time period. I guess it's more the fact that it's the same date as ORAS here (begging for a bundle!), and that everywhere outside of Japan still has a vague 2015 date. Quite unusual for Australia to be first to this extent I suppose.

I doubt I would get it unless it's bundled and themed like the Monster Hunter 4 New 3DS XL in Japan. That looks glorious.

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

I doubt I would get it unless it's bundled and themed like the Monster Hunter 4 New 3DS XL in Japan. That looks glorious.

Hopefully we can get these:

Nintendo 3DS Discussion

Nintendo 3DS Discussion

These were posted earlier by Aizuke. Hopefully we can get these bundled with the new games, they look fantastic. Nintendo would make so much profit out of this.

Years
    3DS
    3DSXL
    n3DS
    2DS
    DSi
    DSi Lite
    DSi XL
    DS

It's no wonder people get confused by the naming of these systems. :(
    before the XL versions arrived, the internet talked of the Japanese being able to shell out for a bigger LL. Then, I see an XL which, really, is the XL.

I wish it were as handheld simple as just asking the clerk for the new Game Boy. But no. The Gamestop sillies yack about "Oh! You mean the new 3DS." At least Target understands.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I'm pretty fond of Groudon one; its colors complement each other very well, if you ask me! Kyogre version is nice, too. However, if I were to nitpick a little, I'd say I'm not particular fond of the outline that the model has. It's black, which doesn't seem to go well with its white base-shell. If former were white as well, it probably would have looked better. Unless we see it physically, though, we won't know for sure.

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

I'm not sure if it's just me, but does anyone else wish the N3DS XL had coloured buttons like the N3DS? They look super cool compared to the coloured letters.

Nintendo: Here's the new Nintendo 3DS XL! It's got bigger screens than tiny ones on the normal 3DS! Except it doesn't have coloured buttons or changeable face plates.Oh well, that's Nintendo logic for you. Personally I'm not too fussed about not getting faceplates for the XL, I think most of the ones revealed so far look kinda meh. Really hope there are some cool special editions, I think I might hold of buying it until there are.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    While its seemingly an issue, I don't mind. You have to admit that its refreshing to see Nintendo clearly differentiate the markets they're selling each handheld too despite the confusing name. What I mean is, the N3DS is obviously the more "youthful" option, colored buttons, faceplates, you name it, but the XL is the more "Mature" option, just colored letters, no faceplates, glossy texture. I want this mindset to carry over to the next gen handheld, with a clear naming scheme to boot. Gives options to the market, and it allows everyone to be satisfied(IMO).

Also those ORAS faceplates are really cool, if only because they're not plastic, but some sort of Suede.

Morgnarok

PokéCommunity Supporter - Platinum Tier
    Years
    New Nintendo 3DS Update Available

A New Nintendo 3DS System Update Is Available!

Nintendo has begun rolling out a new update for the 3DS that, among other improvements, introduces new themes to the handheld.
    The downloadable themes give the 3DS a visual overhaul by adding new wallpapers and background images, as well as custom icons folders, music, and sound effects.
    Firmware version 9.0.0-20U adds five pre-installed theme designs for the operating system, with more available to purchase via the eShop. In Japan, more than 40 themes are available to buy, of which you can browse in the images below.
    Prices in Japan start at 100 Yen, which equates to about $0.90 (£0.60), but do not sell for any more than 200 Yen. In the UK, these themes are sold for £1.79 each. US prices were unavailable at the time of going to press.
    As well as adding theme support, the update also makes the following additions:

• Users can now capture screenshots of their Home Menu.
    • On the Nintendo 3DS eShop, the Title Information page has been updated to provide easier access to available videos, demos, user reviews, and other information.
    • Further improvements to overall system stability.
    Nintendo's new themes are available for both the 3DS and 3DS XL, and will also be compatible with the New Nintendo 3DS--the latest handheld version from Nintendo, featuring customisable back plates, as well as a second analogue stick, and NFC technology.
    Though set to ship this year in Japan, the New Nintendo 3DS US release date is currently set for some time in 2015. It will also be region locked.
    Nintendo 3DS DiscussionNintendo 3DS DiscussionNintendo 3DS DiscussionNintendo 3DS DiscussionNintendo 3DS DiscussionNintendo 3DS DiscussionNintendo 3DS DiscussionNintendo 3DS DiscussionNintendo 3DS DiscussionNintendo 3DS DiscussionNintendo 3DS DiscussionNintendo 3DS DiscussionNintendo 3DS DiscussionNintendo 3DS DiscussionNintendo 3DS DiscussionNintendo 3DS DiscussionNintendo 3DS DiscussionNintendo 3DS DiscussionNintendo 3DS DiscussionNintendo 3DS DiscussionNintendo 3DS DiscussionNintendo 3DS DiscussionNintendo 3DS DiscussionNintendo 3DS DiscussionNintendo 3DS DiscussionNintendo 3DS DiscussionNintendo 3DS DiscussionNintendo 3DS DiscussionNintendo 3DS DiscussionNintendo 3DS DiscussionNintendo 3DS DiscussionNintendo 3DS DiscussionNintendo 3DS DiscussionNintendo 3DS DiscussionNintendo 3DS DiscussionNintendo 3DS DiscussionNintendo 3DS DiscussionNintendo 3DS DiscussionNintendo 3DS DiscussionNintendo 3DS DiscussionNintendo 3DS DiscussionNintendo 3DS DiscussionNintendo 3DS DiscussionNintendo 3DS DiscussionNintendo 3DS DiscussionNintendo 3DS DiscussionNintendo 3DS Discussion

This article is in no way, shape or form written/created by me. My attentions aren't no more than to share with the PC Community.

Source: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-rolls-out-3ds-themes-in-system-update/1100-6422785/

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    I just purchased the 8-bit Mario theme. I love it so much. It plays the original theme song and the cool jumping sfx whenever you scrolls further down the menu. Kinda wished Mario could jump if I wanted to make my menu 3x2 instead of the default 3 icons per screen.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
    I want 3ds emulator how can i download

Please do not revive threads that are over 2 years old; while there isn't a clear cut revival rule to Video Games - as we are currently discussing the matter - the general rule is that if a thread hasn't had a response in over 30 days, than you should start up discussion pertaining to the thread topic with a new thread.

That being said, your question wouldn't really garner a thread as it's a singular question that doesn't garner any true discussion; if I were you I would ask it in our DCC if you would like an immediate and more formulated response. Personally, while I don't use 3DS emulators myself, if you google around your question I'm sure you'll be able to find some viable solutions that way.

Also I see this is your first post! (: If you like video games than feel free to participate in many of our ongoing conversations and discussions that are going on in our little niche community! We'd love your input on some matters!

As for this thread, anyone wanting to talk about the Nintendo 3DS may start up a new discussion thread about it. Any questions people may have can PM me and I'll happily discuss with you about the decision.

Closed

- Matt

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back