• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nintendo 3DS Discussion

Will you be getting the new 3DS/3DS XL when it is released?

• Definitely!

Votes: 25 59.5%
  • Nah, I'll pass...

Votes: 17 40.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
    I'm talking about on your 3DS. Do you ever use the 3D option when playing games? Why or why not?

I usually don't because it's just hard on the eyes. Plus, I'm used to playing without the 3D effects.

Years
    I have never turned on the 3D for any of my games. It's too hard on my eyes for some reason. The only time I have turned it on for a purpose was when I was setting up my 3DS (and 3DS XL). I had to turn on the 3D to test it or I wouldn't be able to get past the test. I wonder if Nintendo tried to hurt us more than try to pleasure us with fancy gimmicks. If it wasn't so hard on my eyes, I would probably use it a lot more. Sadly it does hurt so I can't use it. There are many games that have use the 3D for the better, like Super Mario 3D Land, but I just can't get myself to turn it on.

Raikou

bolt-action thunder
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Nov 12, 2015
    Let's face it, no one really uses the 3D feature unless they just want to see one scene. After that, they never touch the 3D again.

Well, at least that's what I did. I just watched a couple Pokemon scenes with the 3D on but after that, I never used the 3D again. Even with my other non-Pokemon games, I never use the 3D. For one, it's really annoying for if you move your head ever-so-slightly, it throws off the entire screen. Next, I don't always play with my arms stretched out as far as they will go. The 3D only looks okay when you're staring at it from a mile away. Last, it gives me wicked headaches.

The 3D is more or less absolutely useless and is pretty much a gimmick to get people to buy the 3DS. :l

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen yesterday
    It's neat, but yeah, it is gimmicky. I wouldn't mind keeping it on all the time, since some scenes do look pretty cool in 3D, but I don't like how you have to look at the screen at a very precise angle to actually see the 3D - when I play I'm usually slumped on a couch or rolling around on my bed, which makes it hard to see the effect.

Still, I toggle it on every now and then.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    When I first got my 3DS, the first game I got with it was Kingdom Hearts 3D and the zippy action gameplay of that game coupled with the fact that I was high on painkillers when I started playing... well. I nearly made myself sick when I had the 3D on that week, even on the lowest setting. So for years after that, I associated the 3D with nausea and avoided it at all times. It wasn't until recently when I decided to give it another try with Ace Attorney 5 that I finally warmed up to it. The game was much tamer than Kingdom Hearts so the 3D was easier to ease into and now I can play most games with the 3D slider turned up.

I still keep it off most of the time to extend the battery life, though, so I'm not sure there was much point in training myself to tolerate it, hahaha.

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    Let's face it, no one really uses the 3D feature unless they just want to see one scene. After that, they never touch the 3D again.

...Allow me to be the odd-person-out in this thread, haha.
    I almost never turn it off when I play Animal Crossing or LoZ - OoT or A Link Between Worlds.

With OoT I only ever did if I was excessively aiming by moving my 3DS around instead of using the stick, because if it's not perfectly lined up with your eyes, yeah, it starts to hurt after awhile. But that really only happened in the water temple because of the hookshot, and I still kept it on for most of the temple. If it was just to pop off an arrow or two for a puzzle, then it stayed on while I moved my 3DS - wasn't much of an issue. I actually preferred how everything looked in 3D, not just the scenes where Link picks stuff up and it rotates above his head. (Speaking of - Nintendo, why did we get gyp'd on our gym badges in Pokemon? They rotate in lame 2D.)
    As for ALBW, I don't really remember turning it off at all - but I'm sure I did for something. At least just for the stupid baseball mini-game.
    With AC, I adore how the animals look in 3D. The whole world looks so neat. Especially when they celebrate completing a PWP - the confetti looks absolutely fab in 3D. Though I do turn it off when I go to the island to catch bugs - that's work, not play. But that's about it.

On the flip-side, I almost never even bothered to have it on for Pokemon 'cause you can barely make out a difference (well, I really couldn't). Perhaps for a few scenes. Maybe.

BUT, I don't really have the issues that you (or others) have pointed out. :c
    I don't get a headache from it, nor does it strain my eyes at all. I haven't found myself needing to awkwardly stretch my console farther from my face that I normally/comfortably would. And, as others have stated, I'm usually lounging back in my bed or on my couch when I play, but I've only found that to make it easier to prop it up and line it up perfectly while staying comfy-cozy.

It looks neat and it's comfortable for me to look at it for hours on end, so I use it regularly. /shrug

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I have nothing against the functionality itself; when 3D mode is turned on in my 3DS, graphics simply pop out at you, which, if you ask me, is quite a stunning thing. It's just that I'm not exactly used to it. Watching something in 3D is one thing, but playing is on a completely different level, in my opinion. When it's latter, I always feel as if I'm having a tough time to focus, as I more or less grew up gaming in 2D. Like Raikou, I usually don't turn it on unless I want to watch some scene, or if I'm absolutely required. After that, I would immediately turn it off and go back to whatever I was doing. Aside from that, I would find myself leaving this feature all alone, unfortunately.

One thing that I wish 3DS had is an option to automatically enable and disable this function, depending on what part of game you happen to be. For example, if it's either just an opening animation or start screen, then it would be switched on, but if you're in some level battling against a boss (or anything else of the like), it wouldn't be. I'm not sure how many players would actually utilize such a thing, but I know I would, as it makes things slightly easier.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
    I don't use it and it generally hurts my eyes. I wish I had waited for the 2DS, to be honest. :( I feel like if all I paid for was $60 worth of 3D, then I really wasted my money. Unfortunately I didn't even know a 2DS was in the works or else I would've held back on my purchase. D:

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
    I probably use it whenever I just started playing a game and then turn it off halfway through it.

I admit, it's cool, but dang my eyes hurt a lot when I do, so I never turn it on past halfway through the main story of any game.

Years
    It gives me headache and hurts my eyes after a short while :/

I can't use it and I regret not buying 2DS back then.

Altius

Flygon Fan
    Years
    My 3D is usually off - except for Super Mario 3D Land and sometimes... Monster Hunter 3G. For Monster Hunter, the framerate dip in 3D is quite obvious.

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    Sure, it's a cool gimmick, but it's just thàt - a gimmick. You might try it the first time you use your 3DS and think it's really cool but after that it's pretty pointless, and it does you better to leave it off and save battery power.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
    It gives me headache and hurts my eyes after a short while :/

I can't use it and I regret not buying 2DS back then.

I feel the same way - on max it really hurts my eyes and thus can only play games at intervals at a time. However, I don't think you should regret buying the 3DS over the 2DS. While yes, the 2DS is less expensive, the convenience of the size of the 3DS over the 2DS is a huge plus in my eyes as it's easily transportable in your pockets unlike the 2DS.

Years
    I feel the same way - on max it really hurts my eyes and thus can only play games at intervals at a time. However, I don't think you should regret buying the 3DS over the 2DS. While yes, the 2DS is less expensive, the convenience of the size of the 3DS over the 2DS is a huge plus in my eyes as it's easily transportable in your pockets unlike the 2DS.

True. However I have 3DS XL and this screen is quite big. Hard to transport that in my pockets .

Last edited:
    Hardly ever. It's cool to see the 3D effect for a few seconds but after that I turn it off and keep it off since it tends to hurt my head - seems like that's the usual reaction for most people who own a 3DS. Even so I'd still say it's a better investment than the 2DS due to the folding among other things but that's more of a personal preference than anything.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    During important cutscenes in some games I would turn it on and in Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies which I feel like it actually uses the 3D aspect well. Probably because it doesn't hurt the eyes. Other than that? I actually forgot that the 3D part of the 3DS existed until I opened my friend's one day and he had the 3D turned on and I was like 'woaah i forgot this is totally a thing isn't it'.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    I always have it off. It's hard on the eyes and it's uncomfortable to play when I constantly have to adjust the screen so it doesn't blur out with one sudden move.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back