• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

North Korea's Upset: 2K15 Edition Late Summer DLC Released

ghostly

cross my heart. ♫
Years
  • I really hope it doesn't end in a war. However, it seems that will likely happen, there's an unresolved tension between North and South - and not the good kind - that's been there practically for months! I see no improvement but then again, I'm not up-to-date with news. Given North Korea's Leader with his bullheaded personality... not good at all.

On top of that, there's the thing between China and Philippines (plus the other small third-rate countries) so there's lots of tensions, many, many tensions. I'm wondering if China will assist North Korea- sigh. The situation will end up being nasty, they're starting to show their aggressiveness.

I am never fond of Kim Jon Un, to say the least.

Years
  • I don't think it'll amount to much. Events like this occur every year or so with no fanfare. I'm not sure what's different this time, there's not even a new missile or rocket to show off.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    If North Korea actually messes too much with South Korea, they will also have America on their tail, and then also likely another country that's allied with us. At the end of the day, if they get too violent, NK's military isn't strong enough to deal with the repercussions very well. I doubt this will end in too big of a war..

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • You are now banned from /r/pyongyang.

They've done this before for aid, apparently. I think this one is escalating far quicker and more seriously than in the past though. One wrong move on either side and we'll have serious issues brewing.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • You are now banned from /r/pyongyang.

They've done this before for aid, apparently. I think this one is escalating far quicker and more seriously than in the past though. One wrong move on either side and we'll have serious issues brewing.

It is, I don't remember the last flare up being as sudden as this one. It's also concerning that the U.S. troops stationed in South Korea are being moved around. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/northkorea/11815637/North-Korean-troops-ordered-onto-war-footing-by-Kim-Jong-un-live.html

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • I could see this escalating worse very easily. I really don't think NK is foolish enough to do this, but you really never know. :/

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • Considering how people in Pyongang are actually starting to develop something close to a middle class, with shopping centres selling things in black-market-rate dollars, I doubt it very much they would be really into an all-out war that could easily escalate into something very ugly- especially for North Korea. They may be mad but they aren't suicidal, and the chances of China coming to their help if they go fully in are close to negative numbers. I expect a lot of rabble-rousing, a closure of the Kaesong Industrial Region and, as the person up there said, a request of aid in order to de-escalate.

If war does break out for real, the Kims' regime won't survive it and they are aware of it; I doubt it very much they want that.

Castaigne

欠 を 食べる
    Years
    • Age 30
    • NC
    • Seen Feb 27, 2016
    May as well post my opinion in my own thread lol:
    Basically anytime North Korea says anything I think we all can safely say we laugh it off as a bluff. But eventually one day it won't be a bluff and we'll all get blindsided by this. The problem with saying "But this time it's different" is summed up nicely below:
    Spoiler:

However I'm constantly worried this will be the one, since I have friends stationed in South Korea.
    While China definitely does not have any interest in getting involved, they still feel a heavy commitment to North Korea since the sacrifice of Chinese lives enabled that state to exist at all. They don't particularly like North Korea at this point, but they can't simply abandon it in it's time of need (whenever that actually will be). Whenever that situation occurs it's going to take steady hands on all sides to make sure that China feels able to relinquish it's state in the peninsula. I think Xi Jinping is the steadiest hand you can have on the Chinese side, and I think the current political climate in the US has a chance of keeping minimally involved, but I have far less confidence in Park and Kim Jong Un to not drag in their perspective allies.

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    Today's escalation seems to be catching on with the media, although this is hopefully not going to result in anything significant, at least for now. Neither country really wants a war. North Korea knows they don't stand a chance, and South Korea doesn't want the burden of undesirable (very mountainous, difficult to farm) land and sudden increase in (unskilled) population. A sad situation, but unfortunately a true one.

Castaigne

欠 を 食べる
    Years
    • Age 30
    • NC
    • Seen Feb 27, 2016
    Today's escalation seems to be catching on with the media, although this is hopefully not going to result in anything significant, at least for now. Neither country really wants a war. North Korea knows they don't stand a chance, and South Korea doesn't want the burden of undesirable (very mountainous, difficult to farm) land and sudden increase in (unskilled) population. A sad situation, but unfortunately a true one.

I believe the word you're looking for is desert. Very mountainous and very arid, dusty, horribly degraded land.

ghostly

cross my heart. ♫
    Years
  • Hmmm, true, I might be too hasty at said "war". It's still a a bad situation, tensions are high. :< Or maybe that's just me, haha, this is why I don't like politics. Very sad. Hoping that everything gets remedied but it looks to be difficult to do so.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • NK likely won't chance a war because the only reason they're even afloat right now is because China still supports them to some extent. But everyone knows there's no way China would stand with NK against SK/US/Allies if it came down to it in a war. It's a situation literally no one wants and no one would benefit from, so I'd be surprised if it escalated that way any time soon.

I did see an interesting Reddit comment today about why the loudspeaker propoganda works, though. imo it's worth a read to see why NK is getting worked up about this.

Years
  • Translation: nuke nuke mickey lover wants more food for himself.

This time it doesn't look like their obvious plan is working, though. Be interesting to see how things kick off after their supposed "deadline" for s.korea to turn their propaganda loudspeakers off.

What n.korea does have are lots of underground natural resources (e.g. rare earth minerals). That's also a big reason (possibly the only reason) why china keeps their diplomatic relationship with n.korea nowadays.

Years
  • Probably just echoing things here, but yeah as high as tensions are actually entering a war would be a very foolish move for North Korea. Maybe with China's support they could hold out against South Korea and their allies and their allies, allies. However, there's no way China is going to get into an unpleasant situation like that when half their trade is with countries allied to South Korea or the US and they only have very loose ties to the North anyway.

Back