• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Notifications have been changed

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    The more menu from the master style doesn't have mark forums read in it. That isn't a Forever Standing glitch, that's just how the menu is.

I'm going to redesign the "Controls" menu and I'll add mark forums read there for you.
    Thanks! At least in Forever Standing, there's no other way to mark all forums as read except for going to the main index and clicking the link at the bottom there, which is a pain since I use it pretty much every visit.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    Hey everyone. I just finished redoing the notification system and added some cool new stuff.

It's been redesigned so that each individual notification is given some context, instead of just telling you "x number of new notifications."

Also:

• When someone quotes you in a thread, you'll be notified
    • When someone posts a comment on your blog entry, you'll be notified

There'll definitely be some bugs, so please use this thread to let me know what you think needs improving/if you find any issues. 8)

Note: if you had notifications prior to this new system being implemented, they aren't going to show up. You should check your user control panel's main page to see if you have any old notifications.

Stuff to fix:
    • Visitor message notifications are only inserted when posted via AJAX. weirdddddd
    • Dismissing all of your notifications with the "x" buttons will leave the popup in-place. Sloppy
    • Dismissing a PM notification will remove the notification, but the message will still be marked as unread when you visit your inbox

Stuff to add:
    • Options to enable/disable each of the notification types
    • Notification when there are new posts in your subscribed threads
    • Notification for post comments

FINALLY! "You've been quoted!" notifications = Update of the year! {:3} Many thanks to the efforts invested into this recent update! Eagerly anticipating multi-quoting of Blog Comments and VM Permalinks and other stuff that PC 2.0 will have to offer! ^^

I assume that "username mentions" (like "@______" will be implemented at some point...? :))

--------

So, to clarify the links of the available options:
    Username = User's Userpage
    Controls = User's Control Panel and editing one's own profile/settings
    Messages = New Private Messages, New Visitor Messages
    Notifications = New Likes, New Post Comments (TBA), New Quote Mentions, New Comments on a User's Blog Entry, New Posts In a User's Subscribed Threads (TBA)

TBA = To Be Announced/Activated

..Correct? I personally haven't received any new notifications since the "April 5, 2014 notification system revamp", so I'm trying to deduce the available options via the currently-available links, contextual stuff, and other posts within this thread.

A bit minor, but I'm unsure whether the "Controls" drop-down list should be positioned on the right or left side inside the "username" box.. XD

I love the flavor text/modifications for the classic "Welcome Back" text string! So far, I've gotten "____! This isn't the time to use that!" (Professor Oak's "advice" quote), "Run, ____, run!" (Forrest Gump reference..?), and "_____ threw a rock at CHANSEY. CHANSEY fled!" (darn you, Kanto Safari Zone! Also, shouldn't that be formatted as "CHANSEY" instead of "Chansey", at least if we're going by the more recent game changes?" I hope "Welcome back" still has a chance of being one of the possible randomly-selected text pieces, if only for nostalgia. It would be great if we could suggest some more and/or view a list of the possible text pieces. :) (IN B4 "HOENN CONFIRMED" REFERENCE!)

If someone has you quoted in a post and then they go back and edit that post, it'll re-notify you.

Yeeegh....that might be a problem for me, considering the number of times that I typically go back to edit posts (particularly my long ones). {XD}
    So, in advance to everyone who happens to be affected by my rigorous re-editing!:

Notifications have been changed

EDIT: OMG, the "Welcome back" text string just got replaced with "ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ ______ OR RIOT ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ"! ^^ Although it's probably not a reference specifically for Twitch Plays Pokemon, I'll take what I can get! AIIIIEEEEEEEEE!! (In b4 some "Helix Fossil" mention. :P)

EDIT 2: The same "Welcome back" text string just got replaced again: PokeCommunity just complimented me on my coconuts! ...Not sure how to feel about that, to be honest. {XD} >_>

EDIT 3: Thanks to Link, Solace, and Cordelia for letting me receive my first notifications under the new system! :)

Last edited:

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
    Years
    Thanks for this awesome update guys, my PM problem is fixed. :D
    I'll let y'all know if I notice any other issues and bugs. :3

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    This is all in Forever Standing.

I've also had no notification that I've received a new PM, despite having been sent one half an hour ago. The Messages drop-down menu doesn't work at all - nothing appears when you click on it.

In the top bar, in the More drop-down menu, there used to be several more options than there are now. One of the missing options is "Mark all forums as read", and I don't know what else there was but I definitely recall it being a longer list.
    I'll repeat this, since it's still relevant.

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    If someone has you quoted in a post and then they go back and edit that post, it'll re-notify you.

Other than that I'll check into the messages drop down on Forever Standing--it's working on the other styles.

The more menu from the master style doesn't have mark forums read in it. That isn't a Forever Standing glitch, that's just how the menu is.

I'm going to redesign the "Controls" menu and I'll add mark forums read there for you.
    Any news on this? No changes have been made yet.

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

I seem to get double notifications, dupes, for who knows what reason. Is it because they edited the post before I read the notification? Or because they clicked the quote button twice to get in their reply pages?

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Seen today
    There is nothing notifying new visitor messages and liked posts in Forever Standing. I had a problem with the first.

Back