• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Event: Off-Topic's Marathon in a Month Challenge! [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    Marathon in a Month (2020)
    Hi, everyone! Throughout the month of October, Off-Topic will host the Marathon in a Month event. This is completely voluntary, and you can choose to take it as seriously as you want. Do not feel obligated to post/participate every single day - it's just for fun. Also, do not feel like you have to run - walking/sprinting/jogging/etc. are totally cool.

Don't run/walk? HealthCode.org [see below] gives you the option to log various activities such as yoga, weight lifting, tennis, swimming, etc. and it converts the time spent to (approximate) miles.

What is marathon in a month?
    Per HealthCode.org, the Marathon in a Month™ is your October personal challenge to complete 26.2, 50, or 100 miles. Whether you're looking for a weight loss challenge, interested in group fitness with your friends, or just want to get in shape, we support you! Off to the virtual races!

How do I participate?
    There are several ways you can participate! Here are a few examples:

• Register [for free] on HealthCode.org:
    Spoiler:

• Use an sort of fitness app - MapMyRun/RunKeeper/Strava/Google Fit, etc. You can just post a screenshot in the thread of your daily walk/run.
    • A Pedometer or Pedometer app! Here are the best pedometer apps for Android phones & iOS Devices.
    • Track the miles manually.

How do I stay motivated?
    For some (including myself), running/walking can be boring, or even tedious. We might wind up looking at our phone and inadvertently slowing ourselves down. Here are some tips:
    • Play Pokemon Go! You can utilize the Adventure Sync function to rack up some Buddy Candy [Here's a quick Buddy Candy chart], and even hatch some eggs [here's a handy list of what Pokemon can hatch from each egg].
      Try an audiobook! If have a library card, or can get one - I highly recommend doing so. Most libraries these days offer online services where you can virtually 'check out' audiobooks for free. You can also try Audible, or any other audiobook provider.
    • Try a podcast! Podcasts are typically free, and are available through iTunes [Podcast App], Spotify, and several other places.
    • Listen to Music! Music can help keep you motivated when you run/walk, too.
    • Post here! Any time you log a workout, try posting in this thread. It might help keep you accountable.

Will there actually be prizes this year?
    In the past, we previously said the prize was "To Be Announced™". However, this year, there'll be first, second, and third place badges () given out to the top 3 marathoners, as well as cute lil participation badges.

Participants & Progress (last updated 11/03/20 @ 3:42 pm CST)
    • erik destler 203.46/100 Miles
    • Cubism 0/100 Miles
    • Janp 63/50 Miles
    • Aslan 68.85/50 Miles
    • Fairy 0/26.2 Miles
    • Limey-chan 103.5/100 Miles
    • Caite-chan 64.44/100 Miles
    • Brendino 149/100 Miles

Last edited:

budube

Hi I'm Cube
    Years
    • Age 24
    • She / They
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    I think I asked this before, but is statc bike allowed? I can't leave home bc online classes and lockdown, but I would like to join this. So if it's possible sign me in too!

Years
    I think I asked this before, but is statc bike allowed? I can't leave home bc online classes and lockdown, but I would like to join this. So if it's possible sign me in too!
    Yes, it is! You can either get the mileage from your static bike if it shows it, or use HealthCode (above) to have it give you an approximate number based on the time you cycled.

budube

Hi I'm Cube
    Years
    • Age 24
    • She / They
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    Yes, it is! You can either get the mileage from your static bike if it shows it, or use HealthCode (above) to have it give you an approximate number based on the time you cycled.
    Okie! Sign me up, then! Will run the 100miles challenge too.

Years
    I've been looking for this. I think I went with 50 last year and I'll do 50 again. But since I have less classes this year, I think I'll be glad to make at least 25.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    Oooh I'm in - will try do 50 miles through running/hiking in October! Keen for it to help me stick to my training :')

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Oh cool! I definitely wanna give this a shot! (´▽`ʃƪ)♡ I probably won't set my goal too high but still, what a fun event!

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
    Will definitely be giving this a go, already seen an improvement in my fitness since I started running a couple of weeks ago. Looking forward to documenting my progress along with everyone else!

Put me down for the 100 mile challenge, please :))

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    Welp my lazy ass is gonna try and do 100 miles. Seeing as how I'm going back to work here next week.

Years
    only signing up since i got pinged on discord....

Officially going to go for the 100 mile challenge. I know I can beat that though, so the real goal is for me to hit my numbers from last year, which might be difficult since I don't walk quite as much as I used to. Not going to stop me from trying though!

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
    Shorter run today, but still clocked in almost 5.8km (3.6m). Ran/jogged the majority of it without stopping too, which I doubt i'd have been able to do a few weeks ago.
    Spoiler:

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    Did a 10.1km run for the 1st day of October (6.276 miles - am I allowed to round this up to 6.3?!) Was nice :D Screenshot is from my Strava but whited out a few parts for privacy.

Can't figure out how to get the direct image uploaded on my phone but Imgur link to SS here \o/

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
    Another 5.8 miles today, although probably closer to 4.5 because of the walk to and from work (but hey, it all counts, right?!)
    Spoiler:

Inky

:pleading_face:
    Years
    • he / him
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    is it too late for me to sign up for this 🥺

Years
    A bit of a slow start for me, but I'm at 15.1 miles for the first three days. Probably only going to update this once a week, since that's about how often I sync my Fitbit to my phone anyway.

Spoiler:

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
    Only left the flat to do my run today, so those 6.58km are what i'd usually do daily, minus the walk to/from work.

Daily total: 4 miles
    Weekly total so far: 16.6 miles
    October total so far: 16.6/100 miles
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back