• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Official English Name Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Diabeetus

Amateur Voice Actor / ROM Editor ('Hacker')
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 10, 2020
    I've been doing them in order, for the most part; here's what I came up with so far.

Victini = Victini

Tstarja = Smugleaf (Smug + Leaf)
    Janovy = Smugvy (Smug + Ivy)
    Jaroda = Smugking (Smug + King)

Pokabu = Bonfig (Bonfire + Pig)
    Chaboo = Boarbecue (Boar + Barbecue)
    Emboar = Boarter (Boar + Fighter) -- I could see them keeping Emboar though since it's already a workable pun name in English.

Mijumaru = Wotter (Water + Otter [Pun]
    Futachimaru = Fitter (Fighter + Otter [Pun])
    Daitenki = Regawhal (Regal + Narwhal)

Minezumi = Serquirrel (Search + Squirrel)
    Miruhog = Searhog (Search + Groundhog)

Yorterrie = Yorterrie (The name stems from Yorkshire Terrier, no need for change.)
    Haderia = Scruffie (Scruffy + Terrier [Pun on scruffy.])
    Murand = Relaterrie (Relax + Terrier)

Choroneko = Shadty (Shade + Kitty [Pun on shady.])
    Leperasdu = Darperd (Dark + Leopard)

Yanapp = Willoape (Willow + Ape)
    Yanakki = Willokey (Willow + Monkey)

Baoapp = Blazape (Blaze + Ape [Hard to come up with a clever fire name with a starter being a fire monkey already and all fire based words used for pre or suffix for the starters.)
    Baokki = Blazkey (Blaze + Monkey)

Hiyapp = Aquape (Aqua + Ape)
    Hiyakki = Aquakey (Aqua + Monkey)

Munna = Dreamig (Dream + Pig)
    Musharna = Dreamor (Dream + Boar [Pun on dreamer.])

Mamepato = Compigeon (Competent + Pigeon)
    Hatooboo = Dovplete (Dove + Complete)
    Kenhoro = Amastrich (Amazing + Ostrich)

Shimama = Zibra (According to the name origin on Bulpapedia, Shimama is a corruption of the Japanese word for Zebra, so I did the same.)
    Zebraika = Zebratning (Zebra + Lightning)

Dangoro = Rockeye (Rock + Eye [Also intending it to be a pun on Rocky Balboa.])
    Gantol = Clawder (Claw + Boulder)
    Gigaias = Rocking (Rock + King [Pun on rocking.])

Koromori = Hearbat (Heart + Bat)
    Kokoromori = Heartbat (Heart + Bat)

Moguryu = Dragole (Dragon + Mole)
    Doryuzu = Drillagole (Drill + Dragon + Mole)

Tabunne = Maybey (Maybe [Corruption; Tabunne is Tabun, ne? in Japanese meaning maybe, so I went the Chansey route.])

Otamaro = Loudpole (Loud + Tadpole)

Kurumiru = Silkpillar (Silk + Caterpillar)
    Kurumayu = Catercoon (Caterpillar + Cocoon)

Zoroa = Zoroa (Even though its been romanized as Zorua, that's incorrect. As someone who can read Katakana, it's Zoroa.)
    Zoroark = Zoroark

Reshiram = Reshiram
    Zekrom = Zekrom

El Diabeetus

Amateur Voice Actor / ROM Editor ('Hacker')
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 10, 2020
    ^LOL, Smugking sounds kinda nasty....

I think Zuruzikin will be Moltlete. (Molting Athlete)
    Yeah, I noticed that. That's half the reason I kept it. That and to go with the Regawhal name.

At some point this week I'll make an entire list of speculation names for all 156 Pokémon, although a majority of the legendaries will probably keep their original names.

I like your name for Zuruzikin.

GoGoShinyDunsparce

And Flounderp too!
    Years
    Out of the 4chan list of suggestions, I lol'd at:

Spoiler:

I support Smugleaf (I actually think it's a great name) and Pignition.
    And Flounderp.
    Hooray for Flounderp!

Years
    • Seen Sep 23, 2010
    o.o I kind of want them to keep Daikenki's name the same it sounds nice and I mean look at him^ what else would you call em?

minchan

Mudkip Worshipper
    Years
    OMG LOL @ the names for the ice cream Pokemon. XD

OMG I totally thought of the SAME name for the broccoli monkey thingy!!! XD (Yeah I know it's name but "broccoli monkey thingy" is funier. XD)

Moncoli....... WIN. =P

Dragonika

Isshu Region Champion
    Years
    Well here's what iv got guy's (Took a while to think of XD)

Yooterii - Puperu
    Pendoraa - Megapede
    Shikijika - Dearu
    Kenhorou - Pridooboo
    kuitaran - Antiran

Thats all i can think of right now :)

pokemonmastertriplex

the ultamite pokemon master
    Years
    tsutajja-reptine 2nd evo-janoleaf 3rd evo-reptleafXD

pokabu-fireigFIRE/PIGfireig:) 2nd evo-choflame 3rd evo-flarehog

mijamauru-seater sea/otterXD

thats all i got XD

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    off topic: i dont get why wargle is associated with america

on topic:
    tsutaja: smugleaf
    pokabu: pignition
    mijumaru: wotter

nough said
    nah jks

Boarbeque

Deep Voiced Nerd
    Years
    I prefer Boarbeque myself for his third evo.

I agree with this statement

Wotter - Dojotter - Samurotter
    Pyroink - Pignite - Emboar/Boarbeque
    Smugleaf - Conseeded - Arroplant

Almost all of those are really good, it would be cool to see them actually become the real names.

Someone (Not sure who) on here once said that the fire starter should be named "Pignition" and I think that ones good. The final evolution on it should definitely be named "Boarbaque", whoever made that one got it perfectly. :D

Except maybe the "a" should be an "e" as in "Boarbeque". >_<

I agree with you. Boarbeque sounds better. Heh heh

Last edited:

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    I agree with this statement

Wotter - Dojotter - Samurotter
    Pyroink - Pignite - Emboar/Boarbeque
    Smugleaf - Conseeded - Arroplant

I agree with you. Boarbeque sounds better. Heh heh

IMO, it kinda seems like the name "Boarbeque" sounds like someone's trying too hard to come up with a name for a fire pig, though. :cer_laugh: With Emboar, however, changing the "err" sound in ember to "oar" in boar seems more fluid/less noticeable than changing the "arr" sound in barbecue to the "oar" in boar.
    Would make a great nickname, though... :)

My theoretical names so far would be:

Porkabu > Emboar?/?????????? > Pignition/Emboar
    Wotter > ?????????? > Samurotter/Daikenki
    Smugleaf > Conseeded/?????????? >
    Jaroda/Smuglord/??????????

With Porkabu, I've heard Pokabu so much that a radically different English name would be a bit hard to transition to, especially since I've mentioned the term Pokabu so much due to it being my intended starter Pokemon of Isshu...

With Enbuoo, I REALLY want it to be named Pignition (with Emboar being a runner-up name), as I hardly get to use the word "ignition" at all! :D If this occurred, Emboar would be a fitting name for Chaobu, the second stage in the Pokabu line. However, since Enbuoo's name looks very similar to Emboar (and is apparently Japanese characterization of Emboar as well), I'm highly anticipating the English name will end up as Emboar.
    If that occurs, I do not have a good name for Chaobu (an ignition seems more monstrous/threatening than a mere ember, so 'Pignition>Emboar' wouldn't be a good shift IMO)...maybe Piglit or Pignite would work...?
    Sadly, as I'm planning on nicknaming Enbuoo Razorback, I would not be able to utilize "Pignition" in any way should Enbuoo's name be Emboar... :(

With Wotter, it seems just as cute as Mijumaru IMO. Dojotter seems sort of seems weird for Futachimaru, but I get the "Dojo/budding samurai" reference... I can't think of an alternative for Futachimaru, though... :\ However, Samurotter seems like an awesome name for Daikenki, not only because it manages to reference samurai and otter, but also because it seems like it would portray Daikenki as a Pokemon capable of being a samurai rotting away his opponents into decay - an ability I think would be EPIC for a samurai otter/sea lion. :rambo: If that happened, I'd probably use "Daikenki" as a nickname, since it's so fun to say and has the term "dai" in it, referencing great/big and fire, leading to the mental image of a "fiery" samurai otter who uses the element of water that manages to possess the sheer, utter ferocity of fire. :D

With Smugleaf, it's such an awesome meme/name for Tsutaaja that it would be very disappointing if the games left it as unused and did not utilize it in some way, IMHO... I can't think of a good name for Janoby, but Conseeded could work (took me a second to realize the relation to the term conceited :laugh:) For the last evo, Smuglord is OK but I think it overuses the meme, so Jaroda would be a better name to rely on IMO.

I really want to learn the English names as soon as possible, though...if I keep on using the Japanese ones, it's going to be very hard to transition to some of the English names!

Finally, I'm hoping Emonga, Kibago (cool in that it rolls off the tongue easily and implies kiba きば, fang, in such a cute Pokemon to impose such a aura of viciousness/threatening presence!), Ononokusu (very fun to say! :)) and Sazando (to an extent) keep/retain their Japanese names!

Side-note: It's weird...I've never noticed that barbecue had the alternate spelling of barbeque (which now I realize is where that pesky "Q" in the abbreviation comes from, aside from "cue" sounding like the letter "Q"). All references I can recall seeing always spell barbecue with a "C" as opposed to a "Q". And the "-beque" spelling sort of makes it look like the work would be pronounced as "bar-BEK" instead ...

Years
    Hmm.... this is really hard. I'm going to try for the monkey trio. All come from a related word plus "monkey" and "chimpanzee." I am toying around with "gorilla" or "simian" for the second name, but for now I'm keeping Chimpanzee.

Yanappu/Yanakki
    Oakey
    Oakanzee

Baoppu/Baokki
    Smokey
    Smokanzee

Hiyappu/Hiyakki
    Wakey (EDIT: Soakey)
    Wakanzee (EDIT: Soakanzee)

Can you just imagine having the trio of Oakey, Smokey, and Soakey? It really fits with the cute appeal of those characters.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    Hmm.... this is really hard. I'm going to try for the monkey trio. All come from a related word plus "monkey" and "chimpanzee." I am toying around with "gorilla" or "simian" for the second name, but for now I'm keeping Chimpanzee.

Yanappu/Yanakki
    Oakey
    Oakanzee

Baoppu/Baokki
    Smokey
    Smokanzee

Hiyappu/Hiyakki

Can you just imagine having the trio of [S-HIGHLIGHT]Oakey, Smokey, and Soakey[/S-HIGHLIGHT]? It really fits with the cute appeal of those characters.

Aww! :cer_love: Those are cute names; I love them! :) I couldn't think up anything for the monkeys, anyway, so yeah... I might nickname my monkey trio that should their actual names turn out to be different!

Very odd side-note: IMO, if you read aloud that question you asked with a playful/fun interrogative tone, the names sound even cuter...!

Boarbeque

Deep Voiced Nerd
    Years

Yanappu/Yanakki
    Oakey
    Oakanzee

Baoppu/Baokki
    Smokey
    Smokanzee

Hiyappu/Hiyakki

Can you just imagine having the trio of Oakey, Smokey, and Soakey? It really fits with the cute appeal of those characters.

I cant help but think that the names of the three monkeys will be based off the names of the wise monkeys, and then their evos will be based on the fashion styles in terms of a name.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back