• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

One thing you love, one thing you hate

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Name one thing you love about the pokémon franchise, and one thing you particularly dislike! Feel free to quote and discuss things others mentioned too.

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2015
    i love how the pokemon franchise started...i hate to see what it has become...
    For example - The pokemons we have when the series started Were amazing(gen1-2) :

And now this is the pokemons we have today(gen 4-5).. -

just hate the fact that they ran out of ideas for new pokemons...its killing the franchise for me..

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    i love how the pokemon franchise started...i hate to see what it has become...
    For example - The pokemons we have when the series started Were amazing(gen1-2) :

And now this is the pokemons we have today(gen 4-5).. -

just hate the fact that they ran out of ideas for new pokemons...its killing the franchise for me..
    Aha, something I can counter 8)

The first 2 generations also brought you this:

While the last gens gave you these:

It really depends on what you choose to compare with ;) There are plenty of bad and great designs in every generation, and still today I wouldn't say that they have run out of ideas.

One thing that I love: The basic idea of the games. It's pretty well made, You're a person who wants to be the best trainer ever. You travel a region by yourself with that objective on mind.

One thing that I hate: WHY we need to be kids???, GF doesn't think about this?, Really. The games could be a lot better, But they need to have more mature characters if you ask me. It doesn't make sense, A wild Tyranitar is a friendly thing out there?... It's stupid. Hands down for older characters and deeper stories.
    @ love, I think it would be nice with some more imaginative basic plots. But I guess that's what we've got spinoff games for!

@ hate, But they are, when it all comes down to it, games for kids. It wouldn't be as relatable if you controlled a hero that was a grown up instead of a kid closer to your own age. A kid that could be you. Granted, a lot of adults obviously play the games too now. But at the core, it is still a child friendly franchise.

As for myself!

One thing I love: that there are so many different pokémon that you can make each playthrough of the games something special and there is a pokémon for every taste.

One thing I hate: that there are so many legendary pokémon these days. It was cool back in Johto with two flying legendaries and a fairy and some roaming dogs. It was new back then. In Hoenn, it became repetitive and in Sinnoh it wasn't even cool anymore. Catching God, really?

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2015

i still prefer muk , dugtrio , jynx and remoraid over those gen 4-5 pokemons..
    maybe its a matter of taste..

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024

i still prefer muk , dugtrio , jynx and remoraid over those gen 4-5 pokemons..
    maybe its a matter of taste..
    If you say so! Like I said in my earlier post here, the fact that people can have different likes and dislikes between pokémon is a thing I love.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    One aspect I'm pretty fond of regarding Pokémon are video games.

I've been a follower of their game series for over a decade now, and still am; regardless of how tough I try, they're kind of impossible to stop keeping up with, at least on my end (especially since I frequent Internet sites like PC). Although their formula stays more or less the same--defeating Gym Leaders, becoming Champion, and so forth--they still have sometime unique attached each and every time they make a new release, and that's what draws me in.

Similarly, I used to be a anime fan, too, but unfortunately, this was slightly more easy to stop following; nowadays, I don't find myself watching their show too much. I will get into it again at some point in future, though (I'm planning to). As for what I dislike, I'm not sure. I don't believe I dislike anything when it comes down to this franchise, really.

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2016
    I Looooooved Mewtwo getting an actual voice in the first movie, it totally made sense. But then they did it with Entei in the 3rd movie and I just thought it was completely over the top. It actually brought a whole new aspect to the Anime to me, Mewtwo. But then I thought it got overused (especially if you count Slowking in 2000) and that kind of ruined it for me.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
    Love: Too many things. Gen I-III were flawless in my eyes growing up, and IV and VI were pretty good (see V below). Most of the Fire-types are pretty good in my eyes, including my dearly beloved Charizard :P but overall I just enjoyed growing up with these games, and without them, I never would've found this community, so that counts for quite a bit as well.

Hate: Not as much as before, but Gen V turned me off until Gen VI came out and I beat Black 2 just to transfer Pokémon. Admittedly, it wasn't bad, and I liked many of the bugs (Scolipede, Leavanny, Volcarona, Galvantula), but I couldn't stand to watch the battles. The "3D" effect they were going for was pretty bad for me. Don't get me started on the Emboar line either...

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
    Years
    Love: The whole series, I love the storylines put in the games, the characters introduced in the anime, the humor and adaptations of the many mangas, even Pokemon some people don't like I happen to love.

Hate: How the fandom can get picky at times. I had been used to a fandom where the series had alreafy ended and evryone loved eachother and the anime and manga were almost the same thjng, except the manga had more in it. Then I rejoined Pokemon to find people either complaining about Gen I or Gen VI with new Pokemon still being reeled out. Not to mention that nt many people who don't already read it dislike Pokemon Adventures because of the fans saying it's better than other manga. I can only say that because it's the only manga I had access to, but I still wouldnmt just be rude and say something else. The fandom can be so whiney at times that the new Gen wasn't as awesome as the first one, or others saying that these specific Pokemon deseerve to be burned, or the such. Opinions are ok but this is really out of hand.....

Years
    Love: You know I really love pokemon as a whole. I started with the trading cards all those years ago and now here I am 22 and still playing the games. I don't think I'll ever get tired of them really. Pokemon will always be one thing I know I will love. I will say I love the games more then the anime though. I will watch the anime or movies if I want to see how they depict certain pokemon species but otherwise I stick with the games.

Hate: To be honest I wish pokemon wasn't aimed for younger children. There are so many aspects of the game that I wish could be adapted for more adult audiences. Especially with the anime. If only they made a more adult oriented show! I mean if they are going to use an attack like crunch or something there should be blood. Just those small aspects that might make everything more realistic I guess. I think the longer the show goes the dumber it gets. I just want to slap half the trainers on there with the way they use their pokemon. Don't get me started on Ash. I hate Ash and I always have. He acts like he hasn't learned anything in his journeys. Why couldn't they be like Yugioh and get new main characters? Though that really ruined yugioh when they did that but I wouldn't be upset if they did that with Ash. I am pleased with the new episodes they made about the mega evolutions though. I really like where they are going with that so I hope they keep that on the right track and not ruin it like the actual anime. Off topic from the anime I dislike some of the newer pokemon. I feel like they are running out of ideas and it shows. While I stated prior I like the mega evolution show thing they are doing the whole concept of mega evolution i really dislike though. I like how they integraded rayquaza and the story into how mega evolutions worked but over all the concept reminds me too much of digimon and I don't like it. Plus half the mega look really dumb. I don't know what they were thinking when they made some of them but obviously not hard enough. There are only a select few mega I actually think hit home. Sableye, Audino, and Pidgeot being some of them.

atmmachine11

Jumping portals since 1997.
    Years
    Something I love, the Pokemon designs.
    Something I hate, or at least dislike would have to be the people who claim "You must like all gens to be a true Pokemon fan" I think it's great if we all like what we want, and I do not think we should have to like every Pokemon out there just because it "Makes us a true fan".

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
    LOVE: Pokemon. That's it. The games, the battles, the trades, the ev training... The complexity of the game.

HATE (or dislike): I want Pokemon to have an aspect more adult. Like, they can keep the Ash serie and all, but also make Pokemon for another audience. Maybe an anime with more action, less "cutie". A harder game option. Somethings like that.

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    I like the designs. It's pretty much the entire reason I am into the series. I've always enjoyed strange monsters and looking at the kinds of shapes they can take. (Particularly canines/felines/dragons. Yes, I'm like everyone else on the internet.) Also, I like the fact that I can create my own team of Pokemon to play through the game and immerse myself in it as though I existed in the universe.

It has one of my favorite art styles too! Pokemon is the basis of my art style, and what I've been drawing for ages. Sugimori produces such clean, pretty work in such a consistent format. Even his older stuff is charming in a strange, 90's way.

Now... my dislike. I dislike the fact that the core gameplay in the series never changes. I know. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." And I used to be content with that... but nowadays, I am growing more bored with the same old formula. It would be nice if they tweaked it a little more significantly, at least removed the HMs or added some cool new element to expand upon Soaring in ORAS, which makes Fly useless. I have so many ideas for what they could do without changing the core TOO much. In particular, I'd really like to see a revamp of the Held Item system because I just find it to be kind of annoying for some reason.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2015
    What I love about Pokémon: Starting anew in any of the main games. It always gives me the feeling that I've got my work cut out for me, & thus, it gives me a reason to get up every morning. New episodes of its animé are also something to look forward to, even though it's only on once per week.

What I hate: The near-constant appearances of Team Rocket in the animé. Jessie, James & Meowth showing up in nearly every episode has gotten real old, real fast, & they're still at it even to this day. Everytime they show their faces & recite their motto, this is how I react:

Really, I hate them that much.

epicbiscuit23

Epicpokepotato1
    Years
    what i do like: The storyline the pokemon EVERYTHING
    what i don't like: All the teams from the games plans are the same: catch a legendary pokemon and take over the world yada yada yada and never forget! BIDOOF

Back