• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Operating Systems

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    When it comes to operating systems, we all have our own, personal likes and dislikes. Of all OS we've gotten to try our hands on, which would we say is our most favorite, and why so?

As for me, it's got to be Windows. Although it's not installed on my laptop at the moment, I'm very much used to it, and the system is simply easy to get through. Windows 7 have had the best interface, I believe; it's soft, clean, and generally easy on the eyes. Not too fond of Metro, but it is growing on me, thankfully, which is good. Can't wait to see what they might possibly have in store for us in Windows 10.

Second favorite is more or less Linux. Of all distributions I've tried so far, I am very fond of Elementary; its launcher is very straightforward, has an edgy interface design, and I generally feel that it would be able to go head-to-head against their own Ubuntu distro had enough money been put into promotion and whatnot. Alongside, I also do like Ubuntu, as well as Mint.

Mac's great, but unfortunately, they're not affordable for me at the moment, which is a bummer. I do have one, which is an iBook (bought it ages ago, but the device is still in new condition), but I've never used it much after initial purchase. Thought I'd be finding myself using the device, but sadly, its small screen-size would unexpectedly lure me away.

What about you guys?

Years
    I'm still clinging to Windows 7 as long as Linux doesn't support most games. As soon as most of the games I play become playable in Linux I'm going to say farewell to Micro$hit.

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
    Years
    I'm an owner of both a Windows and Mac computer so I'm just gonna state a couple of my opinions. Depending on my task determines which computer I prefer. I do a lot music recording, mixing, and mastering (most should know this by now) on my computer but when it comes to speed and how stable the computer is I gotta give it to my Mac over my Windows laptop. I have the software on both OS but my Mac's a lot smoother when it comes to something that requires a lot of CPU usage, especially if I'm in need of a lot of FX plugins. It's not that my windows computer can't handle the software, it just starts losing it's touch when I get deep into the mix where my Mac doesn't even get phased.
    My personal experience with Windows computers is they are unstable. Sometimes updates jack the whole computer up, Windows has endless problems, they crash, etc. I've not once had an issue with my Mac.

So for favorite OS I'm going with Mac. But I wont abandon my Windows computer since I do need it for business related **** since Mac doesn't have Microsoft Word.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    As far as games are concerned I like Windows better, because ALSA and Pulseaudio on Linux are still a little bit meh and NVIDIA Optimus just doesn't like me on Linux.

For everything but games I really love Linux (Arch Linux, to be exact, because Linux is just the name of the kernel). It's speed is so godly you wouldn't believe it if you haven't tried. Whenever I boot up Windows I always think "has this thing still not finished booting, yet?", because it's so slow in comparism and even after the bootup and login, there's so much annoying stuff, that takes forever to initialize (Anti Virus, Steam, ...). Also Linux doesn't lock ressources the way Windows does it, which means you don't have to restart just for a couple updates, every time.

Years
    I'm more of a Windows person than anything else. It's what I grew up using, so I'm used to using Windows the most. Of course with operating systems, when you go on to try a different one, it's gonna feel different.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
    Personally I prefer using Windows, like Windows xp and Windows 7, because I've grown up using one ever since I was a kid. And I'm starting to getting fond of using Mac a bit, even though I only used it when my friend gives me permission to use that (I don't own any Mac machines yet, sadly).

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
    Everything after XP has had something that just killed it for me. Vista's was the bugginess (and new UI), 7's was the removal of some functionality from Vista, and I need not speak of 8.x...

I really like CentOS as far as servers go. I'm used to it - I can compile all my needed services seamlessly enough and have a nice little VPS with plenty of resources going for only a couple Jackson's a month. It's well worth having a VPS over shared, trust me.

I've actually been writing a good bit of C, which got me to download GNU's C Standard Library manual, and I was really interested in the low level operations that things like file pointers and such build off of, which got me thinking of possibly writing a kernel of sorts...

Windows has only ever been anything because of it's third party app database, and I honestly don't know why OS X exists as it's basically a glossier Windows without the developer base. Things really make so much more sense in a UNIX environment though, which is what irks me so much about Windows and it's notion that everything is not a file, and that somehow crazy device and networking constructs are really necessary at all. <_<

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    I don't have a favorite. What I prefer varies based on what my needs are.

General usage: Windows 7 or possibly 8.1 with some tweaks
    General usage for tech-illiterate: OS X
    General usage for tech-illiterate who doesn't have the money to spend on a Mac and isn't already tied to Windows or OS X in some way: Linux Mint's a good choice, or Elementary if they're familiar with OS X already, or Zorin if they're familiar with Windows
    Public-facing server or public-facing network computer (firewall, router, etc): OpenBSD
    Internal server: depends highly on software requirements, but FreeBSD is a good general choice

Astraea

The Storm of Friendship
    Years
    Windows 7 Ultimate is the best to use, i tried 8 but i still decided to stick with 7 ultimate cause it was better in use.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    I grew up with Windows and I'm still familiar and comfortable with it. But in high school I took a film class and we used OS X there and I loved it. It was when Macs first went to Intel, so I just jumped right in and got a laptop that summer.

And I haven't left it. Had the choice of Windows or Mac at work, I opted for Mac.

Years
    • Seen Feb 24, 2019
    Windows 8.1. I hate the Metro UI, so I use classic shell. I personally really like the flat look they have for the taskbar and windows, and not to mention it's alot slimmer and faster than 7, so I like it.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
    As of right now, I love iOS. The new Windows is so awful, and I really hope someday they return to the old setup they had before. I did grow up using Windows, but I decided that I liked the apple iOS because it always remains unchanged. I'm not big on things that change, so I always prefer it over Windows.

Years
    As of right now, I love iOS. The new Windows is so awful, and I really hope someday they return to the old setup they had before. I did grow up using Windows, but I decided that I liked the apple iOS because it always remains unchanged. I'm not big on things that change, so I always prefer it over Windows.
    The only reason I'd have to disagree with your comparison there between iOS and Windows is because iOS is an entirely mobile operating system, whereas Windows is not. Sure, Windows is becoming more available for tablets, but it's still not quite mobile like iOS.

Had you compared OS X to Windows, or a Linux distro I could see the comparison. Just my two cents, really.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
    The only reason I'd have to disagree with your comparison there between iOS and Windows is because iOS is an entirely mobile operating system, whereas Windows is not. Sure, Windows is becoming more available for tablets, but it's still not quite mobile like iOS.

Had you compared OS X to Windows, or a Linux distro I could see the comparison. Just my two cents, really.

Oh wait... that's what I meant was the OS X. I forgot what it was called, so I was going mostly by what I thought was correct. >< I'm still sort of new to the OS X systems, so I'm not all that sure about what's what at the moment.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
    Windows FTW!

Currently have Win 8.1 at home and at work. I am also really skilled at Windows OS Configuration and deployment (It's my job). I am trying to use Linux (Ubuntu) on the side so I know it. I am really comfortable with Ubuntu Server, though I am currently no where near as comfortable with it as I am with Windows Server.

EDIT: 1800th post, it only took me 6 years. >_>

SparklingMistral

The #1 Remus Lupin fanatic!
    Years
    I'm too used to Windows to switch to anything else. n_n I dislike Windows 8 though, and I feel like it has no business on anything except a tablet or a phone, but that's just me. Thankfully I still have Windows 7 on my laptop, & my phone is the only thing that runs Windows 8.1.

Back