• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Opinion on the Grass/Dark typing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    I'm rather indifferent towards the type combination since there's very few of them (Nuzleaf, Shiftry, Cacturne, Zarude) so I hold no ill will, nor do I find them to be the worst type combination. Grass in general is just a bad type defensively. Even though it's one of my favorite types, I can admit to that it's pretty bad in some areas. But, I have no issue with the Grass/Dark type. I never really used Shiftry, and only really recall using Cacturne maybe once.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I... just hate Grass/Dark with an admitted unnecessary passion. ;w; Dark was my favorite type before Fairy came along and seeing the Grass options for my Dark bbys physically hurts.
    Okay, I admit I'm being hyperbolic.... but I'm not exaggerating that much, lol.

Obviously there are worse type combinations out there. But, to me, Grass/Dark is the epitome of "opportunity missed". It reeks of stagnancy when there's such a vast pool of awesome ideas and niches that - while obviously won't make the type less defensively vulnerable - would at least make them more badass while they get OHKO'd lol. And maybe not limiting all of them so much in movesets that they could at least be doing some decent neutral coverage would be nice. All of the current Grass/Dark Pokémon are just.. so meh. They feel so uninspired and boring and bland to me ngl. I feel guilty for saying it cause I know it's 100% subjective, but aesthetics/design do matter at least a little, so in combination with their base stats (yay mediocre attack / sp.attackers again woooo) and typing -- and I just cannot help but to believe that they've been given the short end of the stick on all fronts.

I bet Grass/Dark can be done right. In fact, I'm sure one day my current opinion to be proven wrong. But as it stands, I just find the existing Grass/Dark Pokémon to be painfully underwhelming. No offense meant to the Cacturn, Shiftry, & Zarude lovers out there! Everyone's got their own tastes and that's perfectly fine! But strictly speaking for myself? Lord, what a clusterfuck of a type combo.

Last edited:

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
    Look, Grass and Dark are in my personal lowest tier of Pokémon types, and Dark might well be on its way to becoming my least favourite. It's hard for me to give a damn about either type separately, let alone both combined.

Plus, the fully-evolved Mons in it are plain at best and disgusting at worst. Cacturne is an alright Mon, but it would profit more from having more scarecrow motifs; the Cacnea X line in Xenoverse is a perfect example of that, and what I believe the line should have been from the get-go. Zarude is just... yeah, I don't like monkey Mons and this one didn't exactly get in my good graces. And as for Shiftry, I detest it. I know it's based on a tengu, but there's a lot more that could have been done with that design.

Last edited:

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    While we understand that threads discussing subjective stuff like this will inevitably get a little heated - after all, if you're in this forum, you likely have strong opinions about Pokemon - we'd like to remind you all that this is still no excuse to insult, harass or hurt your fellow members and that's it's always a good idea to double check if you're using nonviolent communication (stuff like "Could someone interpret what I'm saying as an attack? Can I use some softer language to get the same point across?").

Since this thread had some discussions get personal, we've decided to lock the thread to prevent any more animosity.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back