• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Let's Go] Opinions on LGPE

DmitritheDitto

Ditto Fanclub
Years
  • So I got into Pokémon around 4 years ago.Not as much as some of you all but I didn't ride the bandwagon they call Pokémon Go.If LGPE brings over Pokémon Go players what do you think would happen?I mean there's a percentage of the Go community that are very ignorant imo.I once told a dude I play Pokémon on the 3DS and he told me "'nah man that's bs Go is way better"
    Honestly if this is the type of people that LGPE is going to lure into the core series I probably won't play it anymore.LGPE is directed towards Go players and to bring them over to the core series.But what if they stop caring about the older players want and mostly what the Go players want?Much like what is happening to Fortnite atm.
    This is just my opinion.But id like to hear yours aswell.

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • While the game is aimed at GO players(even has GO transfer built into it), it's a throw back game at heart(last one based solely on Kanto FRLG was over a decade ago). If the LGPE mechanics bleed over into the next generation game, then you'd have every reason to gripe and be pissed off.

As for now, best to leave it be. I do sympathize with your position though of pandering to newbies as opposed to veteran players.

CrimsonMajestic

From Dusk to Dawn
    Years
  • If the LGPE mechanics bleed over into the next generation game, then you'd have every reason to gripe and be pissed off.
    While I mostly hold the same sentiment as stated, it would be nice if the 2019 'core' game removed random encounters just like LGPE seems to have done.

As for now, best to leave it be. I do sympathize with your position though of pandering to newbies as opposed to veteran players.
    For now, that is my stance. Watch & see how fans respond upon release, and hopefully Game Freak will use the overall feedback to create a synergistic balance for long-time fans (non-Go players) & Pokemon Go players.

DmitritheDitto

Ditto Fanclub
    Years
  • For me I would like to see Gen 8 make if wherd you can sneak up on the Pokémon you want to catch.Mostly you'll be able to be seeing the Pokémon doing whatever it does and you throw a pokemn to catch it or try to battle it.it'll be less annoying than randomly encountering them.But I guess we'll wait and see what the results of LGPE look like.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Yeah, I like seeing Pokemon on the overworld, but atm I am not a fan of not having wild Pokemon battles gone completely. The main game is about battling in a sense; why are we getting _less_ of that?

Something like the DexNav in ORAS with Pokemon running about in LGPE, but keeping the wild battle aspect would be neat to see imo for gen 8.

Years
  • Personally, I feel it's too early to form complete opinions on LGPE. Needless to say, there's likely a lot more yet to be revealed to us that's still kept under wraps.

Preliminary opinions aren't really good, however.

Years
  • Yeah, I like seeing Pokemon on the overworld, but atm I am not a fan of not having wild Pokemon battles gone completely. The main game is about battling in a sense; why are we getting _less_ of that?

Something like the DexNav in ORAS with Pokemon running about in LGPE, but keeping the wild battle aspect would be neat to see imo for gen 8.
    I have no doubt they'll keep the wild battling aspect in the eighth-generation games. I think they're really emphasising the whole "catch" aspect of the games. The standard Pokémon formula up until now has introduced many different aspects over time and since pared them down to make the catching experience a lot better — we've seen the removal of random fleeing, roaming Pokémon have been severely reduced and the mechanic streamlined in XY, near-guaranteed captures up until a certain point of the game, and the Poké Ball button on the battle UI.

For those who really want to go out and catch, though, the battle aspect of it becomes a chore. Perhaps you've just seen a Pokémon you really want, and oops, you've just critical-hit it out of existence and now you'll need to search for another. Or maybe you've done nothing and it's kept losing its HP by recoil. Minimising it down to the capture reduces a lot of friction. (Of course, they'll probably throw in a fleeing mechanic again, which makes my discussion moot.)

HeroLinik

To this day, he still can't beat Air Man...
    Years
  • As a person who's deftly avoided nearly every single trailer and news pertaining to this game, going in completely blind, it may seem that I can't hold a complete opinion on it yet, because it'll leave the impression that I may be stating wrong facts. However, I'll give it a shot anyway.

Personally, I think that forking off the Let's Go sub-series is a pretty smart move on a lot of levels. It works as a really good entry point to the Pokemon series for those who got in through GO, with the overlap of mechanics, and also the fact that we're going back to the very first generation, so it makes sense that they can start where a lot of the long-running fans started, rather than just being thrown into this region with little rhyme or reason. The other thing is that this is their first time developing on the Switch, and we're still in Gen VII. This, in my opinion, should make this a stopgap game so they can get used to Switch development without the risk of them messing up the next generation, potentially letting them go all-out rather than just give us a "tech demo" not unlike XY.

However, I've been moseying around several message boards, and it seems as though Let's Go, despite being nearly two months to release, has already amassed a negative reputation. I can see where this is coming from, and while a prominent complaint is that it's just a dumbed down version of Pokemon, note that Final Fantasy Mystic Quest did the same with Final Fantasy, and it was critically received really well, so there's no telling of what's in hold. Maybe they could end up going down a really dark plot or tearjerker ending...who knows. What we do know is that there's no ranked, so the competitive scene may feel left out besides privately-sanctioned tournaments. However, I'm going to go into detail about the other - and main - prominent complaint - the GO mechanics...as it ties in with what was stated.

So the main complaint is that this game borrows too much from GO and pretty much feels like "Pokemon GO 2", and I'm going to try and justify why that's a thing. So Pokemon GO, that was a success largely because the Pokemon brand was carrying it along, but nobody realised just how massive it would get. It didn't just attract people who'd been around since the first few generations, it also attracted people who hadn't touched a Pokemon game before this generation. This means that GO was a lot of people's first Pokemon experience, and it's definitely not just restricted to smaller children who have never grown up with the series - I've seen and talked to older players who have never played a Pokemon game before GO came out, despite being around during the first generation. As a result, the overall idea that's being conveyed is "Hey, did you like GO? You're gonna love this game...it's similar to GO but adds a lot more to it!"

With this in mind, it may be a bit of a stretch to throw the GO players into a standard style Pokemon game, because the chances are, they probably won't get some parts, such as the type chart (hence they had to use descriptors about the effectiveness of moves in SM/USUM), so a stepping stone was necessary. This is why Let's Go allows you to transfer your GO mons and focuses on the aspect of "catching" rather than "battling" - these are terms that GO players are likely to be more familiar with and will understand. In keeping to this, I see this game being another killer app for the Switch like Breath of the Wild, as hopefully, GO players flock in droves to get this "GO-like game".

Here's hoping they don't dumb it down completely though...

Last edited:
    Years
  • I didn't want to completely write this game off yet, but from what I've seen so far........hell no I'm not buying this game. Oh well, at least I still have Smash Ultimate!

Years
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    I too am hoping that the story is different from Yellow and FRLG.

And there is a good chance that GO players will buy this game once it has enough exposure.

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2018
    I think it's pretty childish and embarrassing.

The fact GF thought they need to ween GO players into the games is pretty laughable to me. The games aren't even hard to play.

Years
  • From what I have seen of the screenshots and the trailers so far, looks like a nostalgic trip back to the old days, sans any wild battles and the fact that abilities are not a thing this time around. Good that at least some newcomers can ease into it, although I am honestly not certain about obtaining a copy of the one of the games, myself.

Miss Wendighost

Satan's Little Princess
    Years
  • I honestly believe that GF should've marketed the game to Go players earlier, but I'll just wait and see what happens upon release.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • I'll think of LGPE as an slow transition to the next generation without overwhelming players because switching over to a new system can be so taunting, as well as a temporary relief from not having a new mainline series for a while more.

Plus, it being not a mainline game gives consumers more times to save up for their Switch without feeling the absolute need to get LGPE right away whilst not keeping those who already own the console waiting.

I think I will enjoy it, considering I really loved my Eevee on my shoulder on Pokemon Go (Though I've stopped playing it).

Last edited:

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I honestly think they're watering down Pokemon a little too much in these games. I know they're not even out yet, but they're removing abilities, and hold items, it's only natural to think this way, right?

But it's Pokemon's first time in HD graphics for a closely related main series game.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    As my first post on this site in months, this thread really caught my attention considering I seriously only found out about this game about four days ago. Once I knew this was a thing, I had to come on here and find out what people are saying about it as well as I watched some of the Nintendo endorsed released game play on youtube.

I am not interested in this game. That's my stance, I've seen exactly what I needed to see not be interested in this game. That's okay, I'm sure maybe in a few years Nintendo will have another chance at my money.

Moving on from that, the main point I wanted to talk about is the concern over Pokemon GO players being the new audience of the game. My view on this, it's Nintendo's target audience with this game, but it's not the right demographic to target this game at because the majority of this demographic don't buy consoles and console games.

The majority of the people who play Pokemon GO are people who play time wasting application games that can be picked up or let go by the player with the option of spending money casually at the users discretion. These kinds of people are generally not interested in spending a few hundred on a console and then sixty dollars on a pokemon game just to replicate a few aspects of Pokemon GO which is an optionally free game played on a smart phone which people buy as a daily necessity and can conveniently play games.
    Application games in general are significantly more popular and successful because they are simplistic form of gaming that are designed to be used on a machine that everybody in this generation has, however, the general number of these people being talked into hard purchases for gaming hardware and software just in order to replicate a free application game, is insignificant compared to the already existing fan base for these games and consoles.

My point overall is that the push for attracting the Pokemon GO audience specifically is not going to be a very successful push. I'm not saying this game will fail because of this push, it's just I see it more as that the defining fan base of Pokemon are what will make this game successful, the number of people coming over from Pokemon GO will be significantly tiny compared to the money being spent from the general Pokemon fan base.
    I don't think the games will be ruined by the Pokemon GO fanbase, because I think the GO fanbase within these new pokemon games will be nearly non-existent.

Now, the games success in itself will just be dependent on how well received the game is by the fan base that actually buy Pokemon games with all of these GO targeted changes. Keep in mind that generally the people who complain the loudest are generally a vocal minority, so it is totally possible that despite all of the loud scrutiny online, there's a huge number of pokemon fans who never speak up and are excited to purchase these games.

Although I'm not interested in purchasing this game, I gladly welcome it into the Pokemon series, since it's a pokemon game that is experimenting and trying new things. I might not like the changes and direction, but at least Nintendo is still trying new things and new audiences.

Last edited:

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Personally, I feel it's too early to form complete opinions on LGPE. Needless to say, there's likely a lot more yet to be revealed to us that's still kept under wraps.

Preliminary opinions aren't really good, however.

I wouldn't get my hopes up on that. If there really is stuff yet to be revealed, then it isn't very big. Otherwise we would have had more trailers showing different things and not the same thing over and over again, especially when the games come out in a month. From the past, when no when they start showing less and less, they have run out of most things to show.

The only other thing that might get reveled at this point is new Megalutions and Meltan's Evolution or Form.

As for my thoughts on the game. I wouldn't have a problem with it, if the following wasn't a problem.

Only the original 151.
    Only Kanto. Without Johto, Kanto is an incomplete region. It is one of the smallest regions.
    Catching Mechanic isn't optional.
    Mew costs $50.
    The game costs $60 for virtually nothing. It is doubled the price of all other games. It is the smallest region and only has 152 pokemon.

Only having the original 151 is a massive problem for me. Especially when many pokemon evolve. Kanto without Johto now is just dumb. They had a golden opportunity to make a unique game. Start in Kanto and go to Johto. Making it a complete experience. Catching Mechanic, what about the people who have broken arms? Hands? Or just can't move their wrists? Not to mention it makes "Catch'em All" an annoying quest of luck or accuracy. It should have been optional. Mew shouldn't cost 50 bucks. To complete the game, you have to spend $110 bucks.

I love the Pokemon on the overworld and I really don't mind the no wild battles, especially since you still have to battle the Legendary Pokemon. I will still buy the game, but I would much rather just not have a game instead of something like this.

Last edited:
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    My thoughts so far are just "meh i'm not interested". I was comparably intrigued by SUMO and even USUM to a degree. This is just Kanto again but in a light-weight version, it seems. Pity.

Back