• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Opinions on other canons

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Maybe you mostly only watch the anime and haven't played any of the new games, or you watch/play both of those but never took a glance at any of the Pokemon Manga for instance - so what canons of Pokemon are you 'involved in', and what do you think of them personally and others you might not have been in yet?

For instance - I'm heavily into the games and have at least one out of each main 'set' (e.g. RBY, GSC, FRLG,...) and a few of the spinoffs as well - overall I've liked all but Ranger (which I found to be 'okay' I suppose). The anime however...I do not watch much (mostly do not have time for it and I do not find it interesting either tbh), although the manga I have read some and liked it thus far.

Gunn

horror resident
    Years
    I'm into the games mostly, the anime (I have it set to record the new episodes on my DVR, lolol) and manga. The only one I'm not into is the TCG. :< I'm not even into the collecting anymore. I still do have the ones I have from years and years ago but it's something that I don't think it about when it comes to Pokemon. Just the games come to mind instantly.

Okay, since now I'm thinking about it, I don't even know how to play the TCG. xD Oh well. Making all of my classmates jealous with my holographic Charizard was totally worth it.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    I play the games mostly, and that's really my main involvement with any sort of Pokemon canon. The one I write in mostly, however, is the anime canon. I like the anime canon more because of how much more expansive the world and the history is. There's more to explore than just what's given in the games (with the exception of the side games). While Ash's basic story hasn't caught my interest, it's the world of the anime itself that I like. So I do periodically watch the anime, but it's only to see what they do with what the games give them for basics.

Speaking of the side games, out of those Coliseum and Gale of Darkness are my favorites. Maybe it was just the need for an evil team that actually did something. Maybe it was also because Orre interested me with its lack of wild Pokemon. Mystery Dungeon comes next in list of favorites because again the idea of it interests me.

I've stopped reading Special way back before Yellow arrived, so I can't really comment on that. While it seems like something I would be interested in, I haven't the time to play catch-up with it. The other manga are difficult for me to find, but I haven't really searched for them. My favorite out of all the other manga is the one by Toshiro Ono.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I watched the show quite often when I was younger, but I got into the games when I was in 4th grade. Since Rube/Sapphire, I've been hooked into the games, and have played with them more often than I have watched the show. I still watch the show from time to time, however.

I also collect the trading cards, but haven't played the game that often lately.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    I'm into the games mostly, I stopped watching the anime around when D/P started as I don't have any ways of watching it anymore except for online streaming (which is a hassle and something that I now don't do). I started reading the manga, but I lost interest after the passing years. I used to play the TCG, I decided to quit playing when I can't win.

I personally think that the games are the "mainstream" Pokemon canon, as almost everything is based from it—especially the anime.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    I started my Pokemon journey with the anime, and I've watched most of it (excluding DP). The manga I found at the library when I was younger but only read seriously last year and I liked that a lot. My friend's mom taught me about the TCG when I was in like 3rd grade, and I still collect them. Kind of. The games I got into with Emerald, which is still my favorite game~

So I'm involved with many aspects of Pokemon, and like them all. :3

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Games for me. They are what got me into the franchise. I tried the anime for awhile, but I quickly got fed up with the very annoying main cast and gave up on it. I haven't really gotten involved in other areas of the franchise, though.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    I remember watching the anime when I was younger and sorta liking it, but began to lose track of it once I got more into playing Gold. I don't think I liked a lot of the liberties the anime took from the games, and wished it would be slightly more canonical to them. Ultimately, as short-sighted as this may seem, I see the games as the true canon, and the offshoots as merely that.

Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2011
    Seen all of series 14 re working my way through 1-13 , Have all the games and a few spin offs ;)

Years
    I'm into the anime mostly, which I've followed since the beginning. I very rarely play the games nowadays except for 3rd Gen roms and hacks. I also read a lot of Pokemon fanfiction but I'm not sure that counts.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Pocket Monsters PiPiPi ★ Adventures is my favourite. A manga, one of the older canons where the monsters can talk. It's hard to get hold of, though, and not entirely translated.
    Otherwise, I've only had to do with the main games and and original anime series. I did have TCG cards, but never played properly and a relative threw them all out some time ago, sans my consent.

I might be interested in some of the other manga, starting with Pocket Monsters and The Electric Tale of Pikachu; but the former has no English version and the latter probably a number of removed scenes, eh.

Last edited:

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    The game and anime canons are the ones I pay particular attention to (though I get sad when the anime heavily contradicts the games in an unreasonable manner). The various manga canon of the Pokemon franchise, particularly Pokemon Special, seem a bit strange to me in Bulbapedia articles...particularly Gym Leaders passing away; Pokemon using excessive force during combat than what is normally acceptable for Pokemon battles; stuff like that. Though it appears that PokeSpe follows the games a bit closer to the anime while instilling its own quirky spin on things...

But honestly, how could I possibly accept a canon (PokeSpe) that deems Brendan's white hair to be A HAT. Wut. -_- It is his HAIR (Brawl headband proof FTW).

Opinions on other canons

Opinions on other canons

Back