• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Our dumb newbie moments. Its ok to be human

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Jan 23, 2022
We are all human

at least I hope you are. And we make mistakes, and we weren't as well versed in the mechanics of the game when we first started playing

As the title suggests, what were some of you newbie moments. Those ideas you thought and later on you realized couldn't be further from the truth. or things you did you cringe at today. It's time to look back and laugh at them.

To show I'm a good sport here's some of mine (there all sinnoh related because that's where I started)

#1 I thought rork was a girl. My friend soon made me realize he's a dude. (That some people think is... Well..... Attractive which I soon relized when looking up references for a dppt hack I'm doing).

#2 i, like allot of you used my starter and only my starter

#3 I Thought you could only catch legendarys with the master ball. My friend set me straight with this to

#4 this is more cute than anything else but I would breed fossil Pokemon and release them pretending to repopulate the Pokemon world with fosle Pokemon

#5 I read somewhere that if you could get a shiny geodude that it would have the azrure flute as a held item. Obviously this is wrong

So what are some of yours?

Years
It took me longer to memorize the type match ups as a kid than I care to admit lol
Back then also initially tried to attack ghosts with normal moves regularly.
Teach many of my mons HM's not realizing they wouldn't be forgettable for quite some time.

The regi braille puzzles forced me to look up braille as I had no clue what to do =3

During the 20th anniversary mythical mystery gifts I missed like half of them due to just forgetting about it completely xD

This is what comes to mind atm anyway

Years
The only one I can think of off the top of my head is not being able to migrate my swampert from Emerald to Platinum thinking it was some sort of inherent error. Turns out I just couldnt do that because it was the only pokemon I had that knew surf so the game wouldnt let me get rid of it. I only found this out after I restarted the game oof

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
I'm only half human but

I'm sure I did plenty of stupid things when I first started playing Pokemon, not that I can really remember what they were anymore since I started when I was like 6 or 7 and that's getting to be a long time ago

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
I used a Master Ball on an Unown in Pokemon Diamond, I'll never forget my stupidity on that one.

When Gym Leaders said TMs could only be used once, I thought they meant the move on the tm could only be used once, not the item, so I thought my game was glitched. I even said on Serebii back in the day "I have this glitch where tms don't disappear" because I legit thought and believed that one use only meant the move on the TM.

I thought my game was glitched when on cycling road because I was going downward without any input from me. I later learned it's because the cycling road is a "slope" which is why you're forced downward automatically.

I thought the screen shaking and squeaking from poisoning was a glitch, also. Wasn't aware at first this was an intended game mechanic at the time.

I also fell for all those "press these buttons and it'll make catching Pokemon easier!" Pressing A? Pressing Down + B? Saying "gotcha" into the microphone? I feel for literally all of that shit, all of it. Some of these were stuff literally written in those unofficial Beckett Pokemon magazines, so I don't know how I fell for these when they're not even official.

I also cloned some Pokemon wrong in Emerald and lost my Groudon and Rayquaza through it because I was stupid.

Willing to admit I would sometimes remove my game cartridge from my system when I was still playing the game, too. I'm wondering if that's why my Pokemon Pearl version barely works these days because I would remove the game cartridge from my ds while the system was still on? My copy of Pokemon Pearl is completely or mostly unplayable and crashes a lot. It's extremely glitchy, and glitches happen randomly with it. Before anyone asks if it's a legit copy, it is, I bought it from Target in 2008/2009. One time, when I tried playing through it from the start, the areas near Veilstone City were impossibly glitchy and crashy. One time, I got a glitch where the game said "Geodude was buffeted by the ____!" when there was no weather and the game froze like that. I'm definitely sure it's because I'd remove the game cartridge from my ds sometimes while the game was still running, it had to have messed up the entire game for it be this impossible to play it. Literally cannot play it for long without it freezing randomly or glitching.

Also willing to admit that if I lost badly in a Pokemon battle, I'd get mad and shut the game off or reset over a loss so I could pretend it didn't happen. I would turn the game off if I lost in the battle frontier (I honestly still do this sometimes tbh won't deny it) or a gym leader. Nowadays, I know I can just try again and that resetting over a loss isn't worth it, because it could go completely worse the next time I try that way.

I have no other rookie mistakes that come to mind right now, tbh.

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Jan 23, 2022
Willing to admit I would sometimes remove my game cartridge from my system when I was still playing the game, too. I'm wondering if that's why my Pokemon Pearl version barely works these days because I would remove the game cartridge from my ds while the system was still on? My copy of Pokemon Pearl is completely or mostly unplayable and crashes a lot. It's extremely glitchy, and glitches happen randomly with it. Before anyone asks if it's a legit copy, it is, I bought it from Target in 2008/2009. One time, when I tried playing through it from the start, the areas near Veilstone City were impossibly glitchy and crashy. One time, I got a glitch where the game said "Geodude was buffeted by the ____!" when there was no weather and the game froze like that. I'm definitely sure it's because I'd remove the game cartridge from my ds sometimes while the game was still running, it had to have messed up the entire game for it be this impossible to play it. Literally cannot play it for long without it freezing randomly or glitching
I never knew just removing the cartridge while its in use could corrupt it so badly. I mean In hindsight it makes sense a cartridge pretty much acts like an extension of the console unlike a disk and there would be lose charges with noware to go, but that badly. Wow. Learn something new everyday. I'm just glad when my copy wasn't communicating with the DS this didn't happen. Sorry about yours

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
I never knew just removing the cartridge while its in use could corrupt it so badly. I mean In hindsight it makes sense a cartridge pretty much acts like an extension of the console unlike a disk and there would be lose charges with noware to go, but that badly. Wow. Learn something new everyday. I'm just glad when my copy wasn't communicating with the DS this didn't happen. Sorry about yours

Well, its definitely different for everyone when their games stop working, I just think this is why my Pearl game is so unplayable.

I also do admit to once or twice, turning the game off while it was saving as a kid "just to see what it did" and whatnot. Which could be another factor to it getting that bad. My Pokemon Diamond (my original one) can longer even read the data on my file saying something like the save data could be read.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
i thought to turn off the game, you had to select 'exit' in the main menu...instead of. you know. using the power switch

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Jan 23, 2022
Well, its definitely different for everyone when their games stop working, I just think this is why my Pearl game is so unplayable.

my copy of Pearl may be getting on in years. sometimes I have to eject and put it back in but it still works, the contacts may have to be cleaned. I'm just saying that once or twice when I young I left it on when I went to do something and I came back to it being frozen

Years
  • Age 35
  • Online now
- Worried about something happening after crossing 100 hours in Pokemon Red. Avoided playing for a bit.

- Became confused on progressing after...Cianwood in Gold? Beat the gym leader. Thought the cave to the next area was off-limits. (Might have been the sliding ice puzzle, an NPC there previously, or never seeing the spot.) Continued thanks to a sibling playing Silver.

- Walked around with Lombre until just before or after beating the Elite Four. (Found out around Pacifidlog Town. Might have been a trainer, NPC dialogue, or an Internet search.) Evolved from Lotad to Lombre at level 14. Presumed it stayed as that. Never considered an evolution stone on something caught that early.

- Blamed Diamond's corrupted save file on a Spiritomb from the GTS. Figured it was hacked and messed with the game's files. Refused to use the GTS again for a long time (probably postgame in Black/White).

Undoubtedly forgot the worst offenses.

Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
I thought Bugsy was a girl for the longest time. I thought if you leveled up a Pokemon past the level it's supposed to evolve at that it wouldn't evolve. I found a shiny Caterpie in gsc and left it at the daycare and when I got it back it was past its normal level of evolution and I just let it go lol.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
Years
I thought Wallace's Ludicolo in Emerald was invincible because my best Pokémon was my Swampert, and for some reason Poison was the only type that came to mind when I thought of things that could beat a Water/Grass Pokémon.

Thought the Friend Safari had all of its Pokémon available at any given time, too, for some reason.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
oh i forgot about this one. so i misunderstood the whole badges controlling pokemon up to a certain level thing. the way they phrase it implies they mean all pokemon bc they're like "all pokemon even traded ones will obey up to level x" and so my first time in sapphire, i ended up restarting my first file bc i couldn't beat wallace and my blaziken was at level 69 (nice) and i only had pokemon listening up to 70. little did i know i could have got blaziken to level 100 and it still would have listened bc it was MY blaziken. not traded. looool they rly gotta phrase that better tho like i feel like that's a honest misunderstanding really, especially at age 10.

Years
oh i forgot about this one. so i misunderstood the whole badges controlling pokemon up to a certain level thing. the way they phrase it implies they mean all pokemon bc they're like "all pokemon even traded ones will obey up to level x" and so my first time in sapphire, i ended up restarting my first file bc i couldn't beat wallace and my blaziken was at level 69 (nice) and i only had pokemon listening up to 70. little did i know i could have got blaziken to level 100 and it still would have listened bc it was MY blaziken. not traded. looool they rly gotta phrase that better tho like i feel like that's a honest misunderstanding really, especially at age 10.

SAME! I thought I was the only one. It was really concerning for the low level ones like 30 level cap and such early game for past me.

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Jan 23, 2022
SAME! I thought I was the only one. It was really concerning for the low level ones like 30 level cap and such early game for past me.

Same. I was shocked when my prinplup still was listening and I'm thinking "maybe its special because its my partner pokemon." Which in gen 4 (why does it always circle back to gen 4 with me) wouldn't be the only strange behavior starters have because you're starter can't be released. It will say it came back. But now all three of us know better

Years
nothing for me can compare to the moment where i KO'd a shiny linoone during my first playthrough of ruby version because i thought shiny pokemon were stronger than non-shinies. so like... i thought it'd live. somehow. idk. u__u felt real bad after that.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
I'll never forget when I was a kid playing Red... and having a hard time figuring out how to leave the players house... I didn't know the carpet looking thing on the floor was the way out of buildings.

c268fabaab7ad9a722d2637efa7b515c.png

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 29, 2021
I have a friend who got lost in Mt Moon as a kid because he thought the Geodudes were pointing the way out of the cave.

Years
I thought Clair was a guy and had a brief crush on 'him' as a kid lol. Not sure how long I thought that was true but probably longer than I realize....

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
My first level 100 was Blastoise, and it had bubble until around level 80.

In fact, I'm pretty sure it's entire moveset was:

Bubble
Surf
Strength
Skull Bash.

Then I replaced bubble with hydro cannon.

Last edited:
Back