• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PC Reviewing Challenge '11: Now with 10% more officialness!

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
Years
  • I don't know... ._.
    Ignoring the fact that I've been neglecting my reviews in favour of sleep, I'm seriously of the opinion that some of us have got to start reviewing those middling quality fics which don't get enough love. You know, the ones that aren't bad enough to warrant a grammatical stripsearch, aren't good enough to get the best story ever or detailed review treatment, or just don't have enough fans in that particular type of plot.

I mean sure, they're not epics, but they at least deserve to know how to improve. /end rant.

In any case, off to do mon reviews.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • I'm going nuts looking for stuff to review...

It might help to just go down the list of fics and read the chapters, not the reviews that go with them. I have to say that I definitely know what Asty's talking about because on occasion, I'm like, "Well, crap. Everything I want to say has already been said/my opinion isn't shared by any of these other five people who reviewed." But ever since I took up the philosophy of "I really don't care what anyone else says about these fics because I'm not really reading its reviews with any kind of depth," I've found that it got a little easier to say what's on my mind about something.

Or alternatively, you (and Asty) could definitely take on the Poetry subforum with this. 'Cause, yeah, what Astinus just said about it is pretty true. Poor guys.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I've done a couple of poems for reviews thus far, might do more later myself despite not knowing terribly much on poetry. *shrugs*

Anyways I've hit 14 today so I've reached halfway, which is not bad given it's the 13th for me so I'm a touch ahead of schedule as well (although gievn I might lost a few days later one it's just as well). That's not counting the review I did and will do elsewhere as well, whee. ~

(For the record I was crazy before I started, so! =p).

Mira

restless spirit
    Years
  • Ah... Looks like I was a little late in noticing this... Oh well, this'll be a good way to get back into the swing of things regardless :)

Name: Mira
    Best Way To Contact: PM
    Reviewing Style: I usually get nitpicky about grammar and sentence structure, though often times I have to force myself to stop doing so because then I am not able to go into depth about any other aspects of the story that need to be reviewed. I'm usually pretty good about telling what works and what doesn't when it comes to grammar, punctuation and plot/characters/etc., but I do occasionally allow my personal preference to bleed into it, unfortunately. But I promise to do my best to help you improve your story.
    Custom Challenge Rules: review everyone who has requested one before the month is over
    Request Queue:
    Completed Reviews:

Sgt Shock

Goldsmith
    Years
  • Yup, I'm so behind. I'll probably sit down and do a lot tomorrow. I'm going to be to anxious to do anything productive (thus, my progress will be slowed naturally because of Marvel vs Capcom 3's release -_-'). Hopefully I can find something that will peek my interesting. One in particular I know I'm going to review because it is quite a great thing to get into.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Spoiler:

I'm done! =D A bit early (I start uni at the end of the month, so just as well), and with an extra review I had to remove and also some more reviews on other forums too.

C'mon everyone else, only a few more days left! *waves banner*

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    It took for-effin'-ever to find that emblem, bob.

Almost done with reviewing month! Next it's editing month!

EDIT: And the Great Astinus finished a day before zir's self-imposed deadline. Go Astinus for not having a life on Fridays. And zie learned how to count in Brazilian Portuguese.

Last edited:

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • Do you love the forums? Love writing? Think you can give awesome advice? Then welcome to the Reviewing Challenge! In this month-long reviewing blitz, race against the calendar to submit twenty-eight reviews in a single month.
    Spoiler:

In any case, I'm done! :D
    28 Reviews in 28 days with one removed, thus making a grand total of 29 reviews. Also, fffuuuuu, I literally did 9 reviews today. ._.
    Spoiler:

@Everyone else: Come on, you guys can do it! *Wooooo!*

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • @ Astinus, doing a word search on the page for 'review' helps to find the emblem quick smart. =D

Mizan, you should have yours now btw.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    @ Astinus, doing a word search on the page for 'review' helps to find the emblem quick smart. =D

*puts on pointy hat and sits in corner*

C'mon, everyone else! You can finish this challenge! Rah rah rah! Write write write!* Review review review!

*Does anyone get this reference? Anyone?

Page three likes running.

Bay

Years
  • Yay, got twenty-eight reviews completed! :D *wipes sweat from forehead* I still need to get to FlaffyFTW's story, but I'll get to doing that in a few days.

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
  • Guess who's finished! :D

Spoiler:
    That was a world of fun. This should definitely become a recurring event!

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    And emblem given to the Magic Legume. (Enjoy your first emblem!)

Indeed, it should be more than a one-time event. The challenge might change depending on how sadistic we wish to be, or just to spice it up. But the Reviewing Challenge will make a return.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • on how sadistic we wish to be
    *masochistic *shot*

About this being an annual event, I'm in total agreement. The past month was intense indeed, and I wouldn't mind doing it again. Though... I'm not sure if it's too late to change, but if this is going to be an annual event maybe the current emblem should actually have a year attached to it? As in, PC Reviewing Challenge 2011 as opposed to just PC Reviewing Challenge. But yeah, don't mind me, I'm just in one of my pedantic moods again.

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
  • Though... I'm not sure if it's too late to change, but if this is going to be an annual event maybe the current emblem should actually have a year attached to it? As in, PC Reviewing Challenge 2011 as opposed to just PC Reviewing Challenge. But yeah, don't mind me, I'm just in one of my pedantic moods again.
    I mind! I mind so much!

In all seriousness, we could just number future challenges numerically, like they do with the Super Bowl. That'd be a great way to establish a bloated sense of importance. :D

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • About this being an annual event, I'm in total agreement. The past month was intense indeed, and I wouldn't mind doing it again. Though... I'm not sure if it's too late to change, but if this is going to be an annual event maybe the current emblem should actually have a year attached to it? As in, PC Reviewing Challenge 2011 as opposed to just PC Reviewing Challenge. But yeah, don't mind me, I'm just in one of my pedantic moods again.

That's actually why it was left off of the emblem description, truth be told. I know that Asty's mentioned that she'd love to have this happen more than once, and bnb, she, and I have briefly talked about it when the emblem was submitted. Thing is, though, when I say "more than once," I mean "more than once per year."

As in, how would you guys like to have this happen every other month? If that doesn't suit your fancy, how about every season? Half year? Or should it only be an annual event?

Further note: if we do it every month, the review minimum could be upped from twenty-eight to thirty to keep with the "one review a day" idea. It could also be kept at twenty-eight or changed to a higher number, depending on what people say.

You are psychotic if you propose that it should be done every month. :| Please do not suggest this. Jax will not be responsible if anyone throws a shoe at your head.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    EVERY MONTH!

*throws a shoe right back for using the wrong pronouns*

I'd be fine with every other month or once a season.

But if we do it every month, we won't have to worry about bumping a fic. There is that pro to think about.

I still like the one-review-a-day thing. I'm not sure what other number could fit, and upping it to thirty (or thirty-one, depending on the month) works for me. It's a solid number, gives the same goal to everyone, and isn't too crazy of a goal to reach.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • *throws a shoe right back for using the wrong pronouns*

Hey, I call all my apparent mindslaves by female pronouns. P.S. Still not out of your brain.

But if we do it every month, we won't have to worry about bumping a fic. There is that pro to think about.

That's true. I'm just worried about our key players getting burned out after a few months in a row. Because it'd suck if this turned into something like the old monthly fic challenge where we're all like, "WOO WE CAN DO THIS" and then only three people do it two months later that happened.

Also, and then I ended this month's challenge with the second longest review I've ever written. Sorry about that, folks.

Spoiler:

Back