• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

pET PEEVES v2

DragonKing48

The King Of All Dragons.
Years
Legendaries and mythicals being given through events at lv 100...

All the possibilities are literally done the second they're given to you. Plus the stats aren't that great. I have the 20th Anniversary Arceus...and I have Dragons that are gonna demolish his stats who are nearing level 70...

What fun is there in being given these ultra super rare dudes who are already maxed out? Half the fun or more/the point is the fight and leveling up and gaining new moves as we leave old ones behind.

"Here's an Arceus. Level 100 though, so you can't really use this on your team or anything. Nice to have in a collection though big man!"

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
The fact that there has been so much dialogue in the games from Gen 5 onwards, and despite that the story has never been more interesting than it has been in previous games. It would've been nice if they could have gone 5 minues in SwSh without either Hop appearing or telling the player who the Champion is and who his main Pokémon is, or both.

but also dId yOu kNoW lEoN gEtS lOsT eAsIly??

Years
Legendaries and mythicals being given through events at lv 100...

This is another one to add to my list, it just seems GF can't be bothered to add cool in-game special events for legendary Pokemon anymore. There's nothing like the Celebi event, or traveling to a secret island to catch Victini after fighting off Team Plasma. Now they just...give us them, it just doesn't feel as special.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
Don't know if this could count, but I guess it should because it does distract the gameplay.

Fuck Glazed's character design, FUCK Glazed's character design, FUCK Glazed's character design. What exactly were they thinking here? Everyone looks like a drunk deformed creature! Even I could make better fucking designs! Why do all the trainers in Glazed look like fucking shit? FUCK THESE STUPID FUCKING ASS TRAINER DESIGNS!

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
This is another old argument.. but I got yet another gripe. Why in god's green earth did Game Freak allegedly reuse all of the old SM models for SWSH after saying that they were working on completely new models? The idle animations are so... boring! And worse of all more dynamic animations already exist in the files! It's just disappointing to see these Pokemon rendered in a way that demonstrates absolutely no personality whatsoever. :(

pkmin3033

Are we ever going to get a new narrative? They've been recycling Gen III's since Gen III and my god it got old after Emerald. We can pretend that Gen V and VII are somehow "different" because they drag it out, mix up the order of events, and throw one-note personality NPCs in your face with frustrating regularity - ignoring the concept of "character development" entirely with these, unless it involves changing a Pokemon team lineup or, occasionally, changing clothes and/or hairstyle - but the premise of "Evil team wants to use mascot Legendary to rule the world" is BORING and that is literally all there is to every Pokemon game's story from Gen III onwards. In exactly the same fashion. Each and every time.

There is SO MUCH they could do to make the narrative of Pokemon games an at least tolerable experience, but they use it as the most painfully loosely structured excuse to give you something to do asides from Gym Battles and a "believable" way to encounter an all-powerful Legendary Pokemon. That's it. Can we please, PLEASE see some actual thought and creativity go into a future title, for crying out loud. The spinoffs prove that Pokemon games can have a narrative, and the PMD titles are the perfect example of how you can take a basic premise - amnesiac human-turned-Pokemon - and take it in a different direction with each instalment in the franchise. Why has this not happened with the main series games? Do they even HAVE writers, or were those cut from the budget along with everything else?

Years
i don't want to sound like a downer, but i miss the old days when most fans just kinda had fun with playing pokemon. there was sort of blissful magic to it. i dunno, at least that was the case for me. while i understand that pokemon as a series is terribly lacking behind other games, there's a part of me that believes there's a timelessness to it, for better or worse. pokemon being stuck in 2002 has its drawbacks, most notably the biggest flaw concerning what Dawn posted above, but playing a pokemon game each and every time feels like traveling to the past during the more enjoyable years of my life.

unfortunately, as video gaming as a whole advanced so to speak, what with having a well-written story, character development, extensive post-game, etc being basically the standard for an enjoyable game for a lot of people, being stuck 18 years in the past just doesn't cut it for a lot of people, anymore. they look at pokemon games and while there's certainly some element of going back to the good ol' days, there's also an appetite for something more, if the internet is to be believed. maybe older players are in this "midlife crisis" phase of pokemon gaming where deep down inside they know they're slowly but surely growing out of it but also cling onto hope that maybe Game Freak would do something, anything to keep them from feeling that way.

just something that came to mind, is all.

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
can't believe angel read my mind lol as i was reading this thread i was like damn these aren't even like funny peeves tbh i wish we could just enjoy the games and have a good time. i've been replaying some pokemon games and i've been enjoying them a hell of a lot more than i did the first time through like idk man i don't think everything has to be critically analyzed just play the game and don't think too hard. calm down greg it's fucking soccer.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Yeah, it's almost like the pet peeve is that the fan base got older and the technology got more advanced. :( Which is great in a lot of ways! But just doesn't capture that magic of being 6 years old, watching the anime after school, hoping your friend brings their link cable over, and discovering a whole new world again. I want that simplicity back too.

DragonKing48

The King Of All Dragons.
Years
Yeah, it's almost like the pet peeve is that the fan base got older and the technology got more advanced. :( Which is great in a lot of ways! But just doesn't capture that magic of being 6 years old, watching the anime after school, hoping your friend brings their link cable over, and discovering a whole new world again. I want that simplicity back too.

We grew and unfortunately the games did not.🤷*♂️

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
A recent reason for me to have Nuzlocke deaths is when I'm using a mon in like an older game, I get used to it, and then be surprised when I face against that mon in a later game or a hack with upgraded mechanics.

For example, I had a Vulpix in my LeafGreen run, it turns out that thing does not have Fire attacks at level 17. So I was playing a ROM hack with upgraded stuff and a Vulpix at around that level does indeed have Fire moves, but thankfully it's just Fire spin and nothing threatening.

But in that same run, I did have a death thanks to me not knowing a newer addition simply because I was used to the old. A little background, as you can see in my signature, I have an Azumarill in my Black 2 run, where it wasn't a Fairy. I got used to that and when I fought the water leader in a ROM hack with up to date mechanics, she summons an Azumarill, and I thought my Dark mon would be completely safe, right?

I completely forgot Azumarill was retyped later on, right. I then watched my Mightyena get OHKO'd by Play rough. Like I mean, I used my Black 2 one a lot and got used to it being pure water, to the point I completely forgot they changed it's typing later on. Considering I'm now playing a lot of old games and a lot of new ones, this may or may not be a common thing in the long run.

Years
when I'm trying to avoid a trainer that keeps looking in different directions without a set pattern and they look at me as I'm trying to pass them
pleaseee

Lysander

girl power ftw
Years
When CPU allies in Dynamax Adventure keep using stupid/pointless moves, like using Entrainment to give me Water Absorb when I'm fighting an Entei

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
adding onto the above like idk how those without nintendo online win any raids. the AI they give you if you don't have partners is awful. you can get away with having 1 AI if necessary, or even 2 if the two actual players have strong enough pokemon, but like. you sometimes just get dealt a shitty hand with AI and none of them like actually help you take on the pokemon. they just buff themselves, support (which is also fine but like. i need Another attacker), or they're wobbuffet. the AI in the dynamax adventure is at least not bad, to the point where i don't get online for those bc it's quicker to get through them that way, but like. man. the max raids with AI is fucking awful. give them better pokemon w better moves at least, like the adventure ones.

Raffi

Greatest Trickster
Years
I agree with the Dynamax generic buddies doing useless things or before the DLC, bringing the worst Pokemon you could to a fight. Please get your Magikarp somewhere safe, m'aam.

Lysander

girl power ftw
Years
Worst thing about the generic raid allies is that the Magikarp is still only the third worst ally behind the Helping Hand Eevee and the infamous Martin's Solrock

Raffi

Greatest Trickster
Years
Aw, why did you have to remind me? I had successfully repressed Solrock. But I hate that you're right.

I wonder if they thought these allies were good ideas genuinely or to have some laughs at people with. Not sure which is worse!

Lysander

girl power ftw
Years
Its probably to try and force you to play the game with other people, like with trade evolutions. Though at least in SwSh you can catch some of those Pokémon in the Wild Area.

And speaking of trades, the mere existence of this particular in-game trade is enough to make you never want to play Pokémon again:
1478388636880.png

Last edited:
Back