• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Physical or Digital?

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years
  • With the evolution of technology heading towards the digital age, we are reaching an impasse when it comes to gaming: do you prefer digital copies or games, or physical versions? How would you feel if video games became entirely digital and there was no physical option?

I personally prefer to get physical copies of games over digital.

TY

I prefer digital in the sense that you cannot lose them that fast as with physical copy, but I also adore the box are the physical copies come with. Tough choice, but I rather keep my games instead of only having the box art left :P

Years
  • I prefer digital in the sense that you cannot lose them that fast as with physical copy, but I also adore the box are the physical copies come with. Tough choice, but I rather keep my games instead of only having the box art left :P

That's a pretty good point, but I'm baffled at how people lose their games XD I generally keep my video games on a shelf and the limited editions on my desk at all times so losing games have never been a problem so physical copies are preferred for me :)

Zorogami

WUB WUB
    Years
  • Digital copies make buying games a lot more comfortable, but i think i still prefer physical copies. Not only does that save memory space, i just love the feeling to get a new game, tear of the plastic around it, open up the box and taking out the CD for the first time

Goo

Fiction is an improvement on life
    Years
  • I like to keep really important games in physical format, and I have games I dont play that much or dont matter that much in digital. I like how easy it is via steam to gift digital games though. I think theres advantages and disadvantages of both and it really depends on the game

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • It depends. For portable systems I go with Digital usually, getting physical if there are pre-order deals, Limited/Collectors Edition Extras, or peripherals. I'm fine with physical, though, and if it turns out to be the more convenient copy to get at that point in time, I'll get it. Generally, though, I like to have my games on my system because it means I don't have to lug games around to wherever I am with me (and, on the other hand, it just looks nice to have a collection on your system).

As for consoles...it depends on how much space I have on my console, but I usually go physical, if only because there are more physical deals for console games than there are for any other platform, not too mention that their used games are usually cheaper, so I generally go physical. PC is almost exclusively digital. Save for older games, PC has deals and its just far more convenient, saves a lot of space (physically and digitally)

In some cases, though, I get physical copies just because I want physical copies. Like my Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations and Virtue's Last Reward, which I could easily just opt for digitally, but I like having physicals for the novelty of having them.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I just buy whatever's cheapest. If there is a game on sale on a digital marketplace, I'll get it over a retail version, and vice versa.

Karma Police

Arrest this man
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    Well so far I've been all digital on PC and all physical on PS3. I just like having the cases cases for my games haha. But there's also a fact that my internet doesn't always connect well with my PS3 and is pretty damn slow so I can't really think about going completely digital at this point. With PC because of Steam and Humble Bundle I've not really had a reason to go with physical copies. I just hope Sony decides to cut thier digital costs though, I think they're a bit high because I don't believe digital games should cost the same as physical ones that come with cases and manuals.

Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2014
    Digital is safer, but i prefer physical versions and it's my choice everytime

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • They still sell physical games on PC? Steam killed most physical distribuitons, which is sad.

Just got a few games at GOG, they come with bonuses but everything is digital, it doesn't feel the same. :( All my 3DS games are physical. I used to think digital was a good idea, but the truth is, it really doesn't feel the same.

And Steam sucks.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • Well so far I've been all digital on PC and all physical on PS3. I just like having the cases cases for my games haha. But there's also a fact that my internet doesn't always connect well with my PS3 and is pretty damn slow so I can't really think about going completely digital at this point. With PC because of Steam and Humble Bundle I've not really had a reason to go with physical copies. I just hope Sony decides to cut thier digital costs though, I think they're a bit high because I don't believe digital games should cost the same as physical ones that come with cases and manuals.

I'm happy someone actually mentioned this. I personally use the Humble Bundle and I think it's friggin' awesome! The ability to buy around 6 awesome games for around $6, or less if you don't but the bonus games...that's a pretty amazing deal right there.

Elements1

Meh
    Years
  • They still sell physical games on PC? Steam killed most physical distribuitons, which is sad.

Just got a few games at GOG, they come with bonuses but everything is digital, it doesn't feel the same. :( All my 3DS games are physical. I used to think digital was a good idea, but the truth is, it really doesn't feel the same.

And Steam sucks.

Yes, agreed!! My biggest urk with steam is once you get a game, there is no returning it or selling the games again.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I prefer physical ones, as you could keep them with you forever. Digital ones could be erased at any time. Plus, you could also trade physical copies for money or store credits. If you download digitally, you cannot do anything with them; they're just... there. d: Once you're done, you could either remove them to free some space or play once more.

Fernbutter

Murder is the way.
    Years
  • I prefer having physical copies because it makes me feel happy seeing them all stocked up on a few shelves in my room. But since recently I just got digital copies of games because I just got really lazy. In an overall sense I prefer owning physical copies.

Years
  • Physical 100%, who cares if you eventually run out of room, you have to have a physical copy, especially for cart based games. I need those collectors editions and games in my hands, you cant lend a digital copy of a game to a friend, what happens if the memory item the digital games are on gets damaged? You cant get a statue of something from the game from a digital copy. these are just some of the reasons I go for the physical copy.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Physical always. I love the feeling of unboxing the game and looking at my collection =D
    Plus as the others said, it doesn't occupy that much of a space on disk/memory cards.
    I hate when the game is digital only... in my case I almost always find physical copy cheaper than digital one but yea, if digital is in sale, I pick that one up. (I kinda regret buying Atelier Ayesha, though... I could have had complete collection of physical copies of Atelier games :D

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years
  • I've grown up on having physical boxes for essentially all of my gaming life, so I always liked the feeling of physically holding and owning a game. Plus, depending on the game you can drool over at the wonderful box art. But, I do have a soft spot for owning games digitally, mainly because of the influence of Steam on how it's handled with sales and whatnot.

If I had to choose between the two though, physical wins, hands down.

Back