• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pittsburgh Synagogue Shooting

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
Sad but inevitable, there are always people ready to oppose some innocents because of some delusional mindset.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
As an American born Jewish person, with family in Pittsburgh, this disgusts me to the highest possible degree.

I'm so tired of there being shootings all the time in America, honestly...

Miss Wendighost

Satan's Little Princess
Years
As an American born Jewish person, with family in Pittsburgh, this disgusts me to the highest possible degree.

I'm so tired of there being shootings all the time in America, honestly...

Stuff like this reminds me of a story. I had volunteered under a organization with Chic-Fil-A, which had a large project every spring depending on the school. My school did a Senior Citizen's Prom for our project which had an international theme (food stations for Mexico, Italy, France and China). The Prom King was a WWII vet who I had heard liberated the camps in Germany. What Patton said to his troops was to never forget the sights that they had seen. A powerful story that I heard while in High School that had came to me as I had heard of the news.

Years
Granted I haven't checked the article yet, but I'm really not sure what else I can say at this point that I haven't already said ad nauseum. That in and of itself is a bit scary because I'm sure I'm not the only one getting tired of taking part in the gun debate which doesn't bode well for positive change.

Years
I think it starts to be really scary when you find yourself becoming increasingly numb to these types of news stories.

It's scary that, since there isn't an expectation of anything to change, there's an expectation for things to stay the same. And as such the cycle repeats.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
What's scariest is the antisemetism surrounding the whole event, seemingly perpetuated hours later on A Certain "News" Outlet.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
I don't think that it's a scary thing to be "numb" to these shootings.

What would really be scary is for people to lose any and all desire to see the problem fixed. You can still want to see change but not get emotional every time this sort of thing happens. Not expecting anything to change more has to do with the fact that the average person doesn't really have much power to do anything in this country and that some of the ones who do have a history of not really seeming to make any sort of motions towards fixing the problem.

Years
I don't think that it's a scary thing to be "numb" to these shootings.

What would really be scary is for people to lose any and all desire to see the problem fixed. You can still want to see change but not get emotional every time this sort of thing happens. Not expecting anything to change more has to do with the fact that the average person doesn't really have much power to do anything in this country and that some of the ones who do have a history of not really seeming to make any sort of motions towards fixing the problem.

Literally all of this.

Every time I see a shooting it's real sad that the only response I have is to shake my head and go "Damn, that's crazy" and keep scrolling. As much as I could sit here and monologue about how bad it is and how whack the people who do this nonsense are, that doesn't do anything. And the people who CAN make changes just simply won't.

I'm just leaving the country, dawg. That's the real solution.

Years
For me, there isn't a clear answer on the topic of gun control, but I'm against the notion that the general public should not be allowed to have guns. Criminals will obtain the guns either through other criminals, the black markets, or whatever resources they have, and I'd say they would be more likely to attack places knowing the people around them won't be able to defend themselves unless they can tackle the criminal without getting shot. I'd say the only thing that we can do is restrict who gets guns; the mentally unstable or those with a criminal history should be denied any gun purchase.

Now, I live in Texas, so you bet I would have followed closely the events that happened at Sutherland Springs. The person there wasn't denied being able to purchase guns, despite having a criminal background. The FBI had failed to thoroughly investigate the individual and allowed the person to buy guns. It's very possible the shooting might have still happened if he was denied the purchase, but I'd argue the person might have had to wait longer before being able to get guns to carry out the shooting.

So one thing that needs to change is having a more thorough and forced background check on individuals. This won't prevent any shootings from occurring, as people with no prior criminal experience wouldn't be prevented from carrying out shootings. I'm afraid there's no instant solution to the problem, but I think limiting the occurrences of shootings is a start.

Now, even though I'm deeply conservative, to me it doesn't matter who was the victim of a hate crime, whether it be Jews or lesbians. These shootings accomplish nothing but bringing pain and suffering to the families affected by the shooter. But I have come to accept over many years that many people in the country and world do not take into consideration the feelings of other people and act selfishly like they think they are doing the world a favor by going in guns blazing. For me, it's obvious what is causing people to act this way, but talking about religion is opening a whole can of worms, so I'll just say that I hope the next few elections by either party will focus on the issue of making it much harder for these tragedies to occur.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nah
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 10, 2024
The media should just stop naming the damn shooters, because it glorifies their vile actions.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
For me, there isn't a clear answer on the topic of gun control, but I'm against the notion that the general public should not be allowed to have guns. Criminals will obtain the guns either through other criminals, the black markets, or whatever resources they have, and I'd say they would be more likely to attack places knowing the people around them won't be able to defend themselves unless they can tackle the criminal without getting shot. I'd say the only thing that we can do is restrict who gets guns; the mentally unstable or those with a criminal history should be denied any gun purchase.

I know this topic isn't about gun control but, as ever, idk why European/Australian criminals are so incompetent that they apparently can't get their hands on those easy guns and cause mass-shootings every week as it happens in the US and, in fact, you have to go back years to find sporadic events comparable to what's now weekly fare in the US. Maybe it's because they can't just walk into a Walmart or ask a family member for a few dozen guns and going to the black market is much, much, much discouragingly harder for your radicalised John Doe than the anti-gun-control side makes it out to be? Or maybe it's because our crazies are less evil than their US equivalents but idk man, maybe gun control actually does something. Just throwing wild ideas out there.

Last edited:
Years
I know this topic isn't about gun control but, as ever, idk why European/Australian criminals are so incompetent that they apparently can't get their hands on those easy guns and cause mass-shootings every week as it happens in the US and, in fact, you have to go back years to find sporadic events comparable to what's now weekly fare in the US. Maybe it's because they can't just walk into a Walmart or ask a family member for a few dozen guns and going to the black market is much, much, much discouragingly harder for your radicalised John Doe than the anti-gun-control side makes it out to be? Or maybe it's because our crazies are less evil than their US equivalents but idk man, maybe gun control actually does something. Just throwing wild ideas out there.

Exactly. Do you see ANY gun shops over here in EU? No at all. And that is also why I find this gun 'worship' in American just alien and wrong.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
There must be a gun shop here and there in Europe, since as far as I know guns are not completely and totally banned in Europe in general, so the (few?) people that do have them must be able to buy them somewhere.

I think that some people have a bit of a skewed view on certain things regarding guns in the US too. Not everyone "worships" guns, it's not like the grocery stores have a gun aisle, and the country does actually have gun laws, believe it or not.

Gun control is only part of the solution anyway.

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
What's scariest is the antisemetism surrounding the whole event, seemingly perpetuated hours later on A Certain "News" Outlet.

Actually what's the scariest is NOBODY knows the full truth so they're forced to believe an illusion as a source of the incident. This is the problem with "News" Outlets and it's ALWAYS biased.

It's obvious that firearms are the problem more so than mental disorders, right? Isn't that one side to the black and white debate? This time, I'm not taking sides cause people already know my beliefs on guns, and political beliefs.
Instead I'm taking this approach, which I've sorta brought up in the past just not as noticeable. I'm taking this one.

MENTAL ILLNESS SHOULD BE TAKEN MORE SERIOUSLY. Every fucking time someone commits mass murder they got a mental illness. What's this tell us? IT'S A PSYCHOLOGICAL PROBLEM!! Tho I've stated many times I'm all for stricter testings for guns, but I'm just a NRA activist that supports guns for everyone in the eyes of the liberals I guess, but that's besides the point. Instead of focusing on taking guns away, maybe they should focus on mental illnesses more and give them the help they really need than ignoring it and letting things escalate.

I will be the first to tell you that if mental illness goes unnoticed and continues to be ignored as the problem behind these mass murders then it's only gonna get worse. It starts with caring and loving one another regardless of who they are. Everyone deserves to be happy and loved and cared for. There's a reason those who are treated poorly, seen tragic events, have mental illnesses easily lose themselves when triggered. Instead of filling these individuals with reasons to hate, give them reasons to love and care, and give them hope.

Other than that, my belief on guns stand. Left side. AMERICA WILL NEVER GET RID OF GUNS. Right side. ABORTION IS CHOICE AND NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS. Get over it.

Last edited:

Miss Wendighost

Satan's Little Princess
Years
Actually what's the scariest is NOBODY knows the full truth so they're forced to believe an illusion as a source of the incident. This is the problem with "News" Outlets and it's ALWAYS biased.

It's obvious that firearms are the problem more so than mental disorders, right? Isn't that one side to the black and white debate? This time, I'm not taking sides cause people already know my beliefs on guns, and political beliefs.
Instead I'm taking this approach, which I've sorta brought up in the past just not as noticeable. I'm taking this one.

MENTAL ILLNESS SHOULD BE TAKEN MORE SERIOUSLY. Every psyducking time someone commits mass murder they got a mental illness. What's this tell us? IT'S A PSYCHOLOGICAL PROBLEM!! Tho I've stated many times I'm all for stricter testings for guns, but I'm just a NRA activist that supports guns for everyone in the eyes of the liberals I guess, but that's besides the point. Instead of focusing on taking guns away, maybe they should focus on mental illnesses more and give them the help they really need than ignoring it and letting things escalate.

I will be the first to tell you that if mental illness goes unnoticed and continues to be ignored as the problem behind these mass murders then it's only gonna get worse. It starts with caring and loving one another regardless of who they are. Everyone deserves to be happy and loved and cared for. There's a reason those who are treated poorly, seen tragic events, have mental illnesses easily lose themselves when triggered. Instead of filling these individuals with reasons to hate, give them reasons to love and care, and give them hope.

Other than that, my belief on guns stand. Left side. AMERICA WILL NEVER GET RID OF GUNS. Right side. ABORTION IS CHOICE AND NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS. Get over it.

I don't believe that a woman's choice to terminate a pregnancy has any impact on the state of America relating to gun violence.

Back