• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Pokémon Direct - 04/09/2013!

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    Pokémon Direct - 04/09/2013!

A new Pokémon was spotted during the trailer, it appears to be a Llama Pokemon but there are no further details just yet.
    Is that the new Pokemon? I thought that was MegaAbsol.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I leave for a while and come back to see that there was a blink and you'll miss it new Pokémon in the direct... I certainly blinked...

It looks like a llama or a poodle...

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Their designs aren't tacky and overdone, at least to me they aren't. Mega Blaziken & Mega Lucario just have too much going on - random colors, spikes, etc. The original three starters look sooooo much better.

Mega Venusaur is tacky. even though it looks like barely anything was done, the plant is larger has vines and has a flower on the head...it looks way worse than Lucario and Blazekin. Their colors aren't that random and definitely look better than Venusaur.

I'm disappointed in how simple Charizard looks. They could have done much more than add Garchomp's arm fins and a third spike.

Blastoise is the only one I don't have any issue with. One cannon on back with two arm cannons is awesome.

Years
  • One other cool think I noticed, is that the Pokemon we transfer from the older versions to Pokemon X & Y they won't have their names in capital. If you traded Pokemon from SoulSilver (for example) to Black 2 the name of the Pokemon remained in capital letters.
    This is not something confirmed tho. I really hope they do this cause I love how classy the names look with only the first letter capital.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Venusaur has no evident changes apart from a couple of trees rooted to it's back, a flower on it's head and a couple of vines, I wouldn't say it's tacky though. Charizard just looks normal except with a few tweaks here and there to make it look like more of a Dragon Pokémon even though it is still Fire/Flying. As for Blastoise well I gotta' say they've really pulled it out the bag for this one, it looks so fierce and that cannon on it's back just looks awesome.

Years
  • Mega Venusaur is tacky. even though it looks like barely anything was done, the plant is larger has vines and has a flower on the head...it looks way worse than Lucario and Blazikin. Their colors aren't that random and definitely look better than Venusaur.

I'm disappointed in how simple Charizard looks. They could have done much more than add Garchomp's arm fins and a third spike.

Blastoise is the only one I don't have any issue with. One cannon on back with two arm cannons is awesome.
    I have to agree, Charizard does look very simple. But that's one of the reasons I like it, it keeps the simplicity of Gen 1 in them. I also like Blaziken's colors. I think both batches have their own things goings on...and it's interesting to note how simple the Gen 1 and 2 Mega's have been thus far (with the exception of Mewtwo).

Years
  • I guess you can say I don't understand the apparent dislike that's going around for MegaVenusaur. I'd say Venu has a very forgiving design, seeing as we have another starter with nature pretty much taking over it's body, and its name is Torterra. This is just my opinion, but I see Venu in that same light. I don't think it looks tacky at all, and it looks pretty badass with the giant plant pretty much redesigned. It looks a lot more fierce than it did before.
    I agree, it's not Tacky. I love the mark on it's forehead, and love that it's still natural looking.

Years
  • Mega Venusaur is tacky. even though it looks like barely anything was done, the plant is larger has vines and has a flower on the head...it looks way worse than Lucario and Blazekin. Their colors aren't that random and definitely look better than Venusaur.

I guess we have different definitions of what constitutes 'tacky', because I'd say the same about Ampharos. Simple is better than ugly. Which is why these are the best megas yet, design wise. True to their original forms, without being over the top and gaudy. Which is how they should all look.

Years
  • The original starters getting mega evos is brilliant. Lets face it the Pokémon fandom has been making MegaCharizard concepts for weeks so most people should be hyped.

I haven't read about the rest of it so far, but this info alone deserves a comment.

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
    Years
  • this pokemon direct is so cool. i thought the pokemon such as charizard would just evolve to its mega evolution, but while in battle having to evolve him every time is pretty cool. it gives a whole new idea.
    this just makes me more excited.

Years
  • I guess we have different definitions of what constitutes 'tacky', because I'd say the same about Ampharos. Simple is better than ugly. Which is why these are the best megas yet, design wise. True to their original forms, without being over the top and gaudy. Which is how they should all look.
    The way you and Xander are talking about the Megas make them sound like they come from different generations rather than the same one (though the Pokémon getting them came from various ones)...

@ XxKaylabby Come to think about wouldn't the animation of Mega Evolving them get old after awhile...sure it's not too long but a way to skip it for those who wouldn't want to bother with it would be nice.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    I guess we have different definitions of what constitutes 'tacky', because I'd say the same about Ampharos. Simple is better than ugly. Which is why these are the best megas yet, design wise. True to their original forms, without being over the top and gaudy. Which is how they should all look.

No we have the same definition I mean there are only two and this doesn't pertain to glue. XD

Showing poor taste and Quality.

For me the Kanto starter Megas are tacky because they show poor quality. Doesn't have to be an over abundance or gaudy look. You see it opposite, simplistic is better. Though Venusaur's design is all over the place and has more going on than the previous ones.

Venusaur (which is kinda funny) keeps being said to have the least amount of changes but he gains the most changes as well as has some physical statistics changed.

The plant is larger, have 4 portruding saplings around it, changes to a lighter color and has a Bulbasaur birth mark added back onto it. Gains the flower on its head and the plant on its back has vines growing on it.

It grows a full 1'03" and gains 122.3 lbs

Charizard gains tail spikes, third horn spike, has torn wings, gains the arm blades and the belly marking goes up to his chin.

Stays the same height but gains 22.1 lbs

Blastoise's head changes to a sleeker shape, has one cannon on its back and two arm cannons with Shell covers.

Stays the same height but gains 34.4 lbs.

Just looking at them Venusaur may appear to have the least amount of changes, but it seems to have the most changes.

Thanks to thick fat Venusaur is only weak to Flying and Psychic type attacks.

Drought almost covers Charizard's Water weakness too. Both got good abilities for themselves....I feel like Blastoise got the short end of the stick concerning abilities unless they add more Pulse attacks that he can use cause he can only use 1 out of the three damaging ones right now.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Mega Charizard is a gift from God and I want one. The other two are pretty cool looking too, so much better than the first few megas we saw.
    I agree with your first sentence, I heavily disagree with the second :] I thought extra long swaying things, hair and colors would be what made a mega mega (even MegaMewtwo got a new tail, a headtail haha, and MegaAbsol got wings and loads of hair). And I liked it. I think these new three are quite a bit underdone. I would have liked to see more color on MegaCharizard and MegaVenusaur at least. MegaBlastoise's concept is pretty fun as it is, haha.

Or, they should have taken some ideas from BW2 and made Venustoise real at last ;)

Pokémon Direct - 04/09/2013!

Princess Diana

the people's princess
    Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    everything is shaping up to be so fantastic- i cannot wait much longer for these games

I really really hope that there a some more solid poison types in gen 6

me too. i feel like they've always been seriously lacking. it's one of the types that I adore, but rarely am able to use :(

Last edited:

Years
  • The official site makes it sound as if the Kanto starters will be able to naturally learn their elemental hyper beams, mentioning all three moves and saying they're some of the few that can learn them. That or the starters will be able to learn their signature moves early on by move tutor...or it's just GF...

Back