• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon lover in a sea of dudes

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
  • Group me with the college age+ people who know a lot of cool people with Pokémon. In fact, almost everyone got X or Y in my school when it was released (that's what happens when you go to a school for entertainment media). I don't think anyone isn't some sort of geek here.

Nevertheless, more unpopular opinions, but I actually find the people I talk to that I also call friends much more entertaining than PC. People who I just know by association iRL who also play Pokemon are really no different than here, with conversations that petter out or don't go anywhere. '~' But those who I'm closer to I can depend on for trades (without "what's in it for me" dudes like you find online), I trade stuff freely to them, even if I found it on GTS, we talk about new Pokémon stuff like Pokémon the Origin, and even older stuff. I'm also pretty much the breeder in my circle of friends.

The only thing I'd say is that most of my friends, save for one, aren't nearly as tolerant of newer generations as I am, though I'm mostly just apathetic (I can't help but "what the heck" at some of the 4th/5th gen guys I've seen in Y, though). But when my best friends all "the guys in generation 3 were so dumb", I cry on the inside. I loved the 3rd generation. But it's all very playful so no hard feelings and all.

The only thing online has going for it is that it's easier to connect to the art fans and display art as well, which (again) is why I'm here... and yet haven't really participated in lately. What am I doing with my life

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    At every school I've went, there were at least one or two Pokemon fans besides me.

I go to college now, and there are four Pokemon fans there if you don't count me. There could be more, but I only know four :P

Blastin'Tyruntz

Keeps blasting off again!
    Years
  • This was a great year for me. I started Highschool on the 27th of August, and i immediatly found 5 people around me who loved pokemon, 2 of them have 3DS (1 has X and 1 has Y), And we talk very often at school or hanging out. I really think we complete eachother:

I know about startegies, a couple of guys help us out with breeding, and some of them help us out because they "know it all"- you know, the guys who remember every pokemon ever+ typing+ complete movepool somehow.

@mpharock

...Because Ampharos Rocks !
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Nov 20, 2013
    Let's face it, I'm a person who has literally no-one she knows in real life who plays Pokemon. I constantly get mocked for still being a Pokemon fan in my 20's, and my brother did play for a while but then we lost him to the realm of FPS games like Call of Duty.

And ever since I left school I have still failed to find a single person in real life who plays Pokemon.

I sort of feel the same way i got into Pokemon when it first came out all those years ago and i use to hide my cards in my locker so no one saw them and teased me for having them because for some reason it was cool at the time to pick on those who liked it yeah i know kids can be mean.

There was a small band of students who used a dinner time club to play the card game but i couldn't afford many cards at the time just some and the card game didn't really appeal to me back then.

Now the only friend i have who likes Pokemon the whole thing is my older sister's partner we both collect the cards and play games we don't play by the TCG rules but we still use the card limits to make decks fair.

My younger brother has a on off interest in Pokemon and my younger sister's partner likes to play a game with me when they pop around for a visit i have plenty of decks to share with to play games my only wish is that i knew a few more friends who were into the card game as much as i am i have been trying to get my fix online but the Beta and lack of cards is frustrating at times.

There is a social club re-opening in my City but it's full of kids and i just feel awkward being there what being 28 myself i sometimes feel i should be doing something else but i know deep down i love Pokemon and always have and always will i just got to find ways to enjoy.

I tried getting my girlfriend into it but she is just closed mind on the topic so i gave up {XD}

NavyBlue

Hoenn Lover
    Years
  • I know like one or two people that actually still play/like Pokemon, and I'm not even in high school yet. Sad peers, I have. I've been playing since Gen 3 and don't intend on stopping anytime soon. Hence, I come here to discuss all 'bout Pokemon. T:

@mpharock

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Nov 20, 2013
    My online deck is taking shape now got a few strong combo's going on too so i am much more happier then i was when i posted earlier :)

Looking to arrange a few real card matches with my mate during my 6 days off work if he is not free i have the online game to play Pokemon X too and i have the new booster packs to look forward too i am tempted to buy an entire box and re-sell rare doubles i get not sure yet.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    Yup! I knew loads of people who had an extensive Pokemon knowledge. We even did pretend sort of games, such as being Pokemon or academies. It was really fun. We'd also make jokes from time to time or discuss aspects of the series. Eventually we all just went our separate ways to different groups, but I still talk to them today. Just not about the gotta catch em all series. None of my current friends actually know anything outside of Pikachu though, which I find hilarious. XD

@mpharock

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Nov 20, 2013
    I enjoy talking to adults, teens and kids about it at work i get away with it more because we sell collectibles but nothing Pokemon related however we do stock the official Pokemon Magazine which i buy but i should just borrow it off the shelf and read it out the back it's aimed at kids so the text content is rather light. We also sell another magazine called Pocket Monsters which covers more then just Pokemon too. The general trend i find is that a lot of people are closed mind on the subject of Pokemon and most people think it's nothing more then a child's craze not suitable for teens let alone adults but few crazes last well past a decade Pokemon isn't a craze if you ask me it's a hobby :)

Mystify

confused
    Years
    • Seen Jan 10, 2020
    Growing up I had no friends who were interested in Pokémon, yet I still talked about it a lot and they probably really didn't care but tolerated me anyway. Then in high school I became close friends with people who liked Pokémon so we'd battle each other and discuss Pokémon and whatnot. That was great.

Hooh

Only if for a night.
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2015
    All my Pokemon friends are dudes, and I know 99% more about it then them except for this one dude on my level of Pokemon.

Shame more girls in real life don't like or don't play Pokemon.

@mpharock

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Nov 20, 2013
    A shop that i liked relocated and now they have way more rspace to play card games, warhammer and other games this is good news for me because i can turn up and play others who are into the game turns out they have various ages there so i won't be hanging out with a bunch of kids xD

Blueredemption

Never stop exploring!
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Oct 16, 2023
    in the early days of my history with Pokemon i knew 2 or 3 people that i could talk Pokemon with, but since i have started high school i have met a few upper graders who still follow the stuff. its always fun debating about Pokemon, the idea of mega evos split the lunch table in half XD. sadly, where literally 1% of our school we kinda stick out a bit :P

Years
  • I've always known at least one person in the form of my brother, but that rapidly expanded after middle school as people became more nostalgic about the games and less inhibited by peer pressure about whether or not they still liked it. Now I know probably a good 7 or 8 people I regularly communicate with that play, and I got a coworker into it as well because of how simple and fun the games can be.

@mpharock

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Nov 20, 2013
    I spent around 7-8 hours today playing the card game with the only friend i know who collects and plays the card game but sadly for him right his collections is a little out of deck and i won 9-0 we both used 6 decks and used 3 of them twice his luck sure did suck but my newer cards didn't help his cause but it was fun to play for so long :)

Crunch Punch

fire > ice
    Years
  • I actually do have a few friends who are still somewhat still interested in Pokemon and even want to get X&Y themselves, and others who at least appreciate mild references I make at times. I don't talk much about Pokemon with them (hence why I'm in PC really) but we do have a few discussions now and then.

@mpharock

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Nov 20, 2013
    yeah i feel like i am missing out when it comes to Pokemon conversations the only ones i get to enjoy are the ones i have here really apart from my friend who like i said has played the games and collects/ plays the card game mind you i bet there are a few more from my generation who would like Pokemon but would never openly admit it lol

Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2013
    I live in a college dorm, and there are a handful of people here that bought 2DSes just to get X or Y. My roommate knocks on my door at least eight times a day asking me to hang out and play pokemon, and some of my best friends I've met through Pokemon. All things considered I guess I do know a few people that play.

@mpharock

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Nov 20, 2013
    Your lucky imo i know just 1 person who isn't family who likes Pokemon the only other person i know who likes Pokemon is my younger brother but he is hooked on Final Fantasy 14 the online game and has no time for anything else :/

Years
    • Seen Oct 17, 2015
    I have a friend who adores pokemon, her first game was diamond but unfortunately her brother stole the game and deleted her save file. Plus she really wanted X and Y but she doesn't have a 3ds or a 2ds to play it on. I'm trying to get here some of the ds titles though.

Years
  • None of my friends were ever into Pokémon so I just kept my obsession to myself. Then I met my boyfriend and he noticed all my cards and said how he liked it too. The only reason we are together is that he knew the answer to 'what Pokémon is number 123?' straight away. I knew then that he was a keeper :P
    He buys cards for me now plays the games alongside me as well as watches the anime and helps me out when I'm trying to hunt for more memorabilia to collect. It's nice having someone IRL I can actually share my Pokémon obsession with and not have to hide it ^^
    *For those who think it really is the only reason, it's not, it's a running joke between us now...*

Back