• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Pokémon Maize Version [BETA 3 RELEASED]

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    That sounds better than the 100% catch-rate balls I like all three ideas :)
    Good to know.

I can't believe I haven't seen this hack sooner, this is wonderful! I like its humorous script, I love the added new types and physical special split, and so far, the whole package is enjoyable. I think the farthest I've gotten so far is Copper Town, in which I lost against the black void and ended up stuck in a glitch town. I couldn't do anything, and I'd forgotten to save before the battle. A shame, really- now I've got to catch up again. :y

Anyways, I happened to notice that evolution seems to be a bit bugged every now and again, as every time my Jigglypuff levels up it attempts to evolve into Flaaffy. I also came across an instance where I ended up running out of moves in a battle, at which point my Gastly used Crunch, and then had 64 Confuse Rays. The move also had maxed out in terms of PP. That's all the bugs I've found so far. Other than that, the hack's been relatively stable. I'm looking forward to continuing this hack! I'll give Nuzlocke mode a try eventually.
    Yeah... sorry I didn't notice the glitch town bug before releasing this beta. I've already fixed the struggle bug, but I thought I squashed the evolution bug a long time ago... Any chance you have the save file for when jigglypuff would try and evolve in to Flaaffy?

bradenm

Wheelie say find friends today
    Years
  • Hey ShantyTown, its me BradenPlaysGame from youtube.. really loving this hack! haven't played a good gen 1 hack like this since Pokemon Brown. Keep up the good work mate!!

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    Hey ShantyTown, its me BradenPlaysGame from youtube.. really loving this hack! haven't played a good gen 1 hack like this since Pokemon Brown. Keep up the good work mate!!

Glad you're enjoying it. Also, thanks for making the Let's Play! It's really helpful for me to watch people play because I can learn from others about what's good, bad, and broken in the game.

bradenm

Wheelie say find friends today
    Years
  • Hey no worries mate, I'll keep putting them up until I finish the beta, hopefully there will be no run-ins with game breaking glitches :). If there is tho I'll keep that in the videos for you.

SkieTheKitsune

Hi, I'm FoxMan! I physically cannot change my user
    Years
  • Good to know.

Yeah... sorry I didn't notice the glitch town bug before releasing this beta. I've already fixed the struggle bug, but I thought I squashed the evolution bug a long time ago... Any chance you have the save file for when Jigglypuff would try and evolve in to Flaaffy?

I don't, in all honesty, but I can always try and produce one. It's pretty much any time it hits Level 15 or above (since that's when Mareep evolves into Flaaffy). I'm using BGB, though, since VBA just chooses not to run properly on my computer.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    I don't, in all honesty, but I can always try and produce one. It's pretty much any time it hits Level 15 or above (since that's when Mareep evolves into Flaaffy). I'm using BGB, though, since VBA just chooses not to run properly on my computer.

Oops, forgot to reply. Just a note to anybody reading this, it's super helpful to have save files when you encounter bugs. A lot of bugs are weird edge cases, so they are hard to reproduce.

-------

I guess here's some updates. I've finally completed a few new areas south of Jade Village. They are the "ocean" areas of the game. One of the areas is a small town called Ruby Docks, and the locals are all about diving and sailing. To the west of Ruby Docks is a very interesting sea route. If you're a member of the Seafarer Covenant, then the route is easy to get through; you just surf to westward. However, if you're not a member of the Seafarer Covenant, the route is endless; no matter how far you go west, you won't get anywhere. It's supposed to capture the idea that you are lost at sea if you aren't a true sailor, or something. I think it's pretty cool.

I also added some more Dive areas, and you can acquire the Focus Ring now.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2023
    That's pretty clever feature. Will the player still need a badge to surf or does this replace it?

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    That's pretty clever feature. Will the player still need a badge to surf or does this replace it?
    I was hoping that the game wouldn't glitch out when I connected the map to itself... Luckily, that works as expected. It's pretty easy to implement conditional map-header loading, in case you want to do something like that. I.e. "If player has done X, make a different map load in the place of another." I'm going to do this again for another area that will get hit by an earthquake after the player completes a certain event.

The player will need the 4th badge to use surf.

Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2023
    True, thanks for the info. I was also planning on creating some maps that will change as the game progresses, but they are minor changes, like buildings being built, so I'm not sure if using an entire new set of blocks is the most efficient way to go. I'll probably just add a check whenever a specific block gets loaded and conditionally update what gets displayed instead.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    I finished the HM Slave stuff today. Now, it's not possible for the player to get stuck in Nuzlocke Mode. Here's a summary of that system:

1. Pokémon can be HM Slaves. This means they are permanently set to level 2.
    2. Catching a Pokémon with a Slave Ball turns it into an HM Slave. Slave Balls are like Pokéballs, and you can find them at every Mart when you're playing in Nuzlocke Mode. They're cheap, too.
    3. There is a Start Menu Item called "Go Home" when playing in Nuzlocke Mode. This will warp you to Lapis Town, which is the first town in the game. It's theoretically possible to get stuck on an island or somewhere, so this will bail you out. For example, if you surf to an island and your Staryu dies, then you can't surf back.

I think I'll make a video demonstrating all of this stuff soon.

Raiimeister

Hear Me Roar!
    Years
  • Yo Pal, Your Hack Is Cool. This Is The 1st GB Hack That Attracts Me Couz Usually I'm On GBA's. I Like The New Items Too Specially That Shiny Ring Couz I'm A Bit Unlucky On Encountering Shinies. Hope You Finish It :-)

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    Yo Pal, Your Hack Is Cool. This Is The 1st GB Hack That Attracts Me Couz Usually I'm On GBA's. I Like The New Items Too Specially That Shiny Ring Couz I'm A Bit Unlucky On Encountering Shinies. Hope You Finish It :-)

Thank you! My goal is to have the game completed next summer. Make sure you check out some other GB hacks like Brown and TRE2. If you like Maize, you'll probably enjoy those, too.

Raiimeister

Hear Me Roar!
    Years
  • Yeah I'll Probably Go For Your Suggestions Couz I Kinda Miss To Play Old School Pokemon's. Talk About Maize, I Read In The FAQ That The Hero Sprite Holds A Broom, Is That A Maize Broom?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2014
    Hey!

I just wanted to say how much I love your hack and hope you keep up the good work ^_^ I've been searching through pokemon hacks for a long time and so far yours is the best I've come across!

I'm just about to fight for my 3rd badge, no major glitches to report thus far (luckily I was prepared for the rectangular path guy...), although I did want to let you know that occasionally when I run into wild pokemon in tall grass, they're sometimes asleep before we even start battling, seemingly at random. Don't think it's happened to me in a cave yet.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    Hey!

I just wanted to say how much I love your hack and hope you keep up the good work ^_^ I've been searching through pokemon hacks for a long time and so far yours is the best I've come across!

I'm just about to fight for my 3rd badge, no major glitches to report thus far (luckily I was prepared for the rectangular path guy...), although I did want to let you know that occasionally when I run into wild pokemon in tall grass, they're sometimes asleep before we even start battling, seemingly at random. Don't think it's happened to me in a cave yet.

Cool! You're at the good part of the game! Are you playing in greyscale or color? During night, wild Pokémon can be asleep when you encounter them. If you're playing without color turned on, you might not have even noticed that there is day and night.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    I made a video explaining the stuff I did to fix the potential problem of getting stuck when playing Nuzlocke Mode:

TL;DR: Added Slave Balls and "Go Home" option to the menu screen.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    I added roaming pokemon to the game. It works similarly to roaming pokemon in Gold/Silver Versions. However, their HP status ailments aren't remembered from the last time you encountered them. Check out this video for more details:

Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2023
    Good job adding the roaming pokemon. I like how they can only jump to nearby routes (though maybe it makes more sense for that restriction to apply to land pokemon instead of birds).

Will they every be able to enter Caves and the like? Also, if they are currently in a dead end and you switch maps, will they they only have one possible direction for them to enter?

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    Good job adding the roaming pokemon. I like how they can only jump to nearby routes (though maybe it makes more sense for that restriction to apply to land pokemon instead of birds).

Will they every be able to enter Caves and the like? Also, if they are currently in a dead end and you switch maps, will they they only have one possible direction for them to enter?

Thanks. I disagree about the birds thing. The official games do it like that, too. I think it's good to do it like this because it makes the hunt for them more fair. If they switched routes randomly, then as a player, you can't actually hunt them by predicting their routes.

Every map has a list of maps they can get to from that map. So, it would be trivial to allow them to enter caves and stuff like that, and I plan on doing that. For dead ends, it all just comes down to what the available next maps are. If a map only has one adjacent map, then you know for sure where they will be on the next update.

Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2023
    Thanks. I disagree about the birds thing. The official games do it like that, too. I think it's good to do it like this because it makes the hunt for them more fair. If they switched routes randomly, then as a player, you can't actually hunt them by predicting their routes.

Fair enough, that makes sense to me. I added in some roaming pokemon, but they were not "map" based, they can just appear randomly. But having it map based makes a lot more sense, so I guess I will switch to that.

Every map has a list of maps they can get to from that map. So, it would be trivial to allow them to enter caves and stuff like that, and I plan on doing that. For dead ends, it all just comes down to what the available next maps are. If a map only has one adjacent map, then you know for sure where they will be on the next update.

Ahh, clever. Good idea!

Back