• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Ranger

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen Feb 26, 2024
    Ugh, I can't really stand Pokémon Ranger. Not to say they are bad games in general, but I'm just not a fan of the whole capture stylus thing. It's just not for me.
    In theory I would like the games, because recruiting Pokémon to help you save people and help the world sounds cool in a hero sense, but the reality fell a bit short for me.

One thing that I did think was cool, though, was that one of the games (Shadows of Almia?) could be used to bring in Manaphy to the other games.

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
    Years
  • When it comes to the Pokemon Ranger games, though I have played all three of them, I have only beaten Guardian Signs. In ranking them from my favorite to least favorite, here is a how I rank them:

First Favorite: Pokemon Ranger Guardian Signs
    Second Favorite: Pokemon Ranger Shadows of Almia
    Least Favorite: Pokemon Ranger

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen Feb 26, 2024
    Kinda sad you don't like it much tbh, but it's understandable. It was obviously more about showing off the DS's touch screen when it first game out, and the storylines themselves kinda got lost a bit

Yeah I think the first two actually give you the egg. The first one definitely, the second one I think does.

Yeah, that's a lot of what I thought was wrong with them. Too gimmicky, and not enough of the other stuff.

FullMetal_Ashheart

The Heart and Soul of Fire
    Years
  • Ugh, I can't really stand Pokémon Ranger. Not to say they are bad games in general, but I'm just not a fan of the whole capture stylus thing. It's just not for me.
    In theory I would like the games, because recruiting Pokémon to help you save people and help the world sounds cool in a hero sense, but the reality fell a bit short for me.

One thing that I did think was cool, though, was that one of the games (Shadows of Almia?) could be used to bring in Manaphy to the other games.

Some people like the games, and some people don't. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Honestly, I like the games because it was different than the other Pokemon games.

It was actually in all 3 Pokemon Rangers games that you can bring Manaphy in the other games.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    I played the first Ranger game and a little of the second, but the focus on the touch screen ruined my experience of the games. So while I do like the concept of them and the idea of Pokemon rangers, it's not a series of games that I fully explored.

Though maybe I'll try it again since I prefer my 3DS's stylus over the one for the DS!

Years
  • I played the first game and found it to be extremely boring. It just didn't do it for me. I've tried to get into it many times but haven't been able to :/

Lunarose

replaced by lies
    Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2020
    I played a little bit of the first game on my friend's ds and it was okay, it didn't seem like something I would buy though but I suppose I should give it a try some day. I've heard good things about the game.

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
  • I have started the first game of the series, but I didn't found it very interesting. It's okay, but there are much better games. Another thing is that I played it on an emulator, which gives a touch screen that's less easier to control, so I eventually abandoned the game.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    I've only played two of them, but I thought they were super cute! I loved that I got a bunch of cute Pokemon as a partner, and even more to just follow me around everywhere. I hope to see some more, with maybe a larger map and larger selection of Pokemon! c:
    I would hope they'd kind of even out the usefulness of each mon, too, rather than having nothing but crap ones first and then nothing but deities later.

Years
  • I remember liking the first Pokémon Ranger quite a bit, even if some people didn't, but its story was a bit flawed in some of the things that it makes you do. And I only played Shadows of Almia once, but that was fun too from what I remember. I never finished Guardian Signs, though, so I don't know how that one is as it gets later in.

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
    Years
  • The first Pokemon Ranger was bad.

I LOVED the other two tho, they should definitely make more Ranger games. Shadows of Almia is my fav because it pretty much looks like normal life. You start in a school to the biggest Ranger HQ.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    I've never played any of the ranger games and as far as I've seen, that doesn't seem to change in the future, as I'm not a fan of spinning my stylus around as the main gameplay elements. It just brings back flashbacks from a certain terrible Zelda game for the DS.

Years
  • Pokemon Ranger rules over all other spin-offs! I love being a Ranger! I love how they make friends with Pokemon rather than hurting them in Battle then capturing them! I like the uniqueness of using the stylus! Guardian Signs is one of my all time fave games! The story and Region were really good and there was so much game play! I liked the Sign feature and being able to ride the Legendary Pokemon! If we never get a sequel I will be very very sad!

Frozen Lotus

Shay's Ice Prince
    Years
  • I... actually never played them before. The only side games I've ever played in the Pokemon series are Pokemon Snap, Pokemon Puzzle League, Pokemon Stadium, and most recently, Pokemon Blue Rescue Team... which I literally started like a week ago.

So... to say the least I'm curious about various side games, I just don't know what's good and what isn't. Ranger is one of those that I don't know a thing about, though. For the longest time I thought they were part of Mystery Dungeon. ^-^;

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    I'm actually col with the series with Shadows of Almia as my favorite, followed by the first series and then Guardian of Signs.

I enjoyed that we can send Manaphy Eggs, Almia Darkrai, Oblivia Heatran and Oblivia Deoxys to the Gen IV main series. That makes the whole series worth the money. ^^ However, the Aura Sphere Riolu isn't that special, unless it 's a move that Lucario can't learn. :(

Plot wise, the second in the series, which is my favorite as I mentioned earlier has the best plot among the three. The others aren't that bad, but they can be definitely better. The writers of the Ranger series amd even Game Freak can really learn a lot from the Mystery Dungeon series.

Rangers can also add quests that are similar to those from PMD, instead of the usual helping side quest. Finally some innovative and new mechanics would be great.

7.8 Too Much Loops.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Pokémon Ranger is a series for Nintendo DS, in which we get to play as, well, a ranger--trainer class introduced in generation three.

In Pokémon Ranger games, the system of certain things is a little distinct from main series. One would be capturing Pokémon. In main titles, we are required to utilize Poké Balls for it, but in Ranger, we use a device known as Capture Styler. Also, in Ranger, our Pokémon follow us around at all times (or at least most of the time).

Have any of us tried our hands on this series before, and if so, what are our opinion it? Ranger is no longer an ongoing thing now, but would we like to see it return at some point in future for 3DS, or some other future handheld?

Infinitum

╭━━╮╱╱╭━? ??╱╱╱╱╭╮╱? ?╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱ ╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱? ??╭?
    Years
  • The Ranger games weren't that successful, considering that the first game was a real failure in my opinion. Most people I know who had that game, just tried to sell it as fast as possible, cause it lacked a story, lacked fun gameplay elements... But then Shadows of Almia was released, which was a huge difference. It is still one of the Pokémon games I consider to be the best of all. While Guardian Signs was also great and fun, Shadows of Almia just had something more. There should definitely be a new ranger game, cause I really enjoyed them back in the day. (I didn't like the first one, nevertheless I still completed it a few times)

Berserkers

Kaboom.
    Years
  • I received the original Pokémon Ranger when it had first released, but I didn't get around to actually playing it until many years later. I still loved it nonetheless! I enjoyed being able to play as a Ranger and interact with Pokémon in ways that weren't seen in the main series. I thought the concept of the Capture Styler was very fun and unique, even making some areas of the game a bit more challenging than I was used to with Game Freak's other titles.

I own Guardian Signs for the DS, but haven't picked it up to play yet. I plan to some time in the future.

Shiro

Dad! Or should I say... Big cheese of Hoshido?
    Years
  • Awh geez I've been meaning to play the second game and didn't even know there was a third game until this thread. Looks like I've got quite a bit of catching up to do!

Anyway uhm... If I'm being honest, at first I thought the concept of Pokemon Ranger was silly and had no interest in it. But then there was this thread on some forum about it ... specifically about how the playable girl character was cute and I saw her design for the first time. Anyway, she was cute so I convinced my parents to preorder the game for me. And honestly I loved it! The concept of befriending Pokemon that way really appealed to me and I enjoyed the gameplay. Maybe I wouldn't enjoy it as much today but I was 11 or so at the time and the flaws in the game really didn't occur to me.

Basically I need to catch up on the series since I really did love the first game.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I like the Ranger series, not as much as the Mystery Dungeon series but it's still fun. The second Ranger game is actually one of my favourite Pokemon games of all, I had so much fun playing through it. As I've said before it would be great to see another game in the series with all the newer Pokemon and updated graphics.

Back