• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: Pokémon Sun & Moon Officially Announced [Summary of news here!]

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Never...doubt....gamefreak.

We have Four Fighting typed Quadrupeds. Emboar was also "going to be Fire/Dark" based on how he and Tepig looked. The little tabby could restart the Fire/Fighting thing again. Hell, they can make it Bipedal just like Emboar if they wanted to.

Don't even joke about that mate.

Years
  • Fire/Dark will complete the Fighting/Dark/Psychic trio of types among the Fire starters.

Interesting you notice that. It would definitely be fun to see if Litten ends up gaining Dark-type for its evolutions. If Litten's evolutions are quadrupeds we could be seeing another trend broken as well, and that's the bipedal Fire-type starter evolution.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I can see the Water starter as Water/Fighting or Water/ Psychic. Making them Grass/Flying (this one is confirmed btw, unless if it loses it when evolving), Fire/Dark, and Water/Fighting will be kind of fitting. As the two types will be super effective against the other's except for the Cat who will end up like Flareon in the Kanto eeveelution trio, well not so bad, it'll still have Fire to fight Grass with.

Years
  • I can see the Water starter as Water/Fighting or Water/ Psychic. Making them Grass/Flying (this one is confirmed btw, unless if it loses it when evolving), Fire/Dark, and Water/Fighting will be kind of fitting. As the two types will be super effective against the other's except for the Cat who will end up like Flareon in the Kanto eeveelution trio, well not so bad, it'll still have Fire to fight Grass with.

I don't see anything in Popplio's design that suggests Fighting, but knowing me it might end up as Water/Ice like the other sea lion Pokemon, or heck maybe even just be pure Water. The downside I could see with a pure Water Pupplio evolution is that it'll be called out for having the most "boring" type of the three, but then we had trios with one or two pure-typed members.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I'd love to see Popplio as Water/Psychic. Being able to control balls like an otter implies some great mind control. That's just gotta be Psychic. Rowlet won't lose its Flying-typing imo. It'd be a shame if it did because there's so many opportunities for it and Grass/Flying-types are awesome because look at Shaymin and Jumpluff. Cool **** there.

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
    Years
  • I could totally see water/psychic. I could also see grass/dark for Rowlet, thanks to a speculation video I watched last week. I also would be for fire/dark for Litten, though.

The reasoning for me on that is that the fire starters all belong to the chinese zodiac. If Litten becomes a tiger, who knows, but if it stays a cat, the animal who got robbed from a slot in the zodiac, fire/dark would make sense.

Years
  • I don't see anything in Popplio's design that suggests Fighting, but knowing me it might end up as Water/Ice like the other sea lion Pokemon, or heck maybe even just be pure Water. The downside I could see with a pure Water Pupplio evolution is that it'll be called out for having the most "boring" type of the three, but then we had trios with one or two pure-typed members.
    The scene of it puffing it's chest made me think of a body builder.

Years
  • The scene of it puffing it's chest made me think of a body builder.

inb4 everyone says "please not another Fighting-type starter".

Interesting you do point that out, but it also reminds me of Piplup when it puffed its chest out (or that's what I think) in the anime. Piplup didn't become Fighting, so it definitely seems like Fighting may not be the eventual final typing.

Salamence™

Gen 3♥
    Years
  • tumblr_o6yn9qOJAq1ttdkobo1_500.gif

I already know which starter i'm going to pick <3

Last edited:

Years
  • inb4 everyone says "please not another Fighting-type starter".

Interesting you do point that out, but it also reminds me of Piplup when it puffed its chest out (or that's what I think) in the anime. Piplup didn't become Fighting, so it definitely seems like Fighting may not be the eventual final typing.
    There is an association with circus and strongmenIn the from Wiki "19th century, the term strongman referred to an exhibitor of strength (before strength sports were codified into weightlifting, powerlifting etc., becoming actual athletic competitions) or circus performers of similar ilk who displayed feats of strength." The circus theme might extend beyond 'clown' . It'll be pretty funny if they were Water/Fighting and Fire/Dark as some of us thought Oshawott and Emboar's final evos would be those types. We only needed to wait 6/5 years to get starters of those types.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • The scene of it puffing it's chest made me think of a body builder.

Although I would love there to be another Water/Fighting, (I think Poliwrath is the only one) I really want them to take a break from the fighting typing for starters.

However, FIghting would balance the Trio is a way similar to Kalos. Grass/Flying, Fire/Poison, Water/FIghting.

Owl > Seal > Cat > Owl

Years
  • There is an association with circus and strongmenIn the from Wiki "19th century, the term strongman referred to an exhibitor of strength (before strength sports were codified into weightlifting, powerlifting etc., becoming actual athletic competitions) or circus performers of similar ilk who displayed feats of strength." The circus theme might extend beyond 'clown' . It'll be pretty funny if they were Water/Fighting and Fire/Dark as some of us thought Oshawott and Emboar's final evos would be those types. We only needed to wait 6/5 years to get starters of those types.

I remember the Fire/Dark Tepig speculation, and I don't think I heard much of the Water/Fighting Oshawott speculation, but given it's a samurai I could see why people thought of it. It'll be funny if they end up becoming Litten and Pupplio's final types, especially after all the 5th Gen connection theories I have been noticing.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Has anyone not played Street Fighter or watched Kung Fu Panda? Litten becoming a Fire/Fighting is bound to be most likely, as tigers are often associated with material arts. Now I'm trying to imagine how Pupplio's final evo being Water/Rock would work. Are there any species of sea lion or legends of one being associated with rocks?

LilBueno

Boy Wonder
    Years
  • If Litten becomes Fire/Fighting, I hope it does stay on all fours. That'd make for an interesting design. I hope it does go more of a tiger route than a lion route, though, since the Sun Legendary is a lion.
    If that turns out to be the case, I might actually pick Litten (for Sun) so I can have my starter Tiger face off against a Lion Legendary.

Years
  • Has anyone not played Street Fighter or watched Kung Fu Panda? Litten becoming a Fire/Fighting is bound to be most likely, as tigers are often associated with material arts. Now I'm trying to imagine how Pupplio's final evo being Water/Rock would work. Are there any species of sea lion or legends of one being associated with rocks?

I'm sure they had a different approach in mind when they made Litten. To me, KFP definitely may have been the inspiration for Pancham being a Fighting-type. Not sure about any sea lions relating to rocks though.

COOLTRAINER♂

Speedball 2: Brutal Vanilluxe
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2019
    i have played every street fighter game and there are few tigers present except for when a tall bald man hits you

Years
  • Definitely see Litten either staying mono fire, or becoming Fire/Dark in it's final evo.

I can see Popplion becoming water/fighting.

Whoah though. Really awesome announcement, and I'm glad we got as much as we did. At first I was really "meh" on the starters, but over the course of an hour or two they've grown on me greatly. Rowlet is awesome. Really liking the jump to more realistic proportions for the characters too.

The trademarks were spot on, and I wouldn't be surprised if we have the legendaries name's formally revealed in corocoro.

Back