• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Birthsigns

Years
    • Seen today
    Hi! Because of new method code for defining Birthsigns, you recommend making a new save file. My project is in a pretty advanced state, and having people make a new save wouldn't be ideal. Is there any way to make the old method compatible with the new, simplified method?

Not to my knowledge, unfortunately. I added a slew of items to the global metadata to get the improved version of birthsigns working, and loading an old save file where these globals didn't exist is most likely going to return an error. I don't know a convenient way around this other than simply creating a new save file where this global data exists.

Years
    • Seen today
    Minor Update 7/22/20: Dynamax Compatibility
    I just released an update to the Dynamax Tutorial, which I posted here. This adds the Dynamax mechanic to the game. Because of this, I took measures to ensure compatibility across not just these Birthsign scripts, but Z-Moves, and Ultra Burst as well. The goal is to try to allow all of these battle mechanics to function in unison without overlap or errors. To make these accommodations, I've updated this project to allow it to work together with Dynamax.

• The Birthsigns_Core script remains the same, only with the removal of the INCLUDE_ZMOVE and INCLUDE_ZPOWER toggles. They are no longer needed.

• The changes to the Birthsign_Effects script are minimal, and you can just use CTRL+F and search for "dynamax" and "max raid" to find all the small edits that were made if you don't want to have to re-install the entire script.

• The Birthsigns_Journal and Events scripts received very minor edits for compatibility. If you don't want to reinstall these whole scripts, just use CTRL+F to search for
      "defined?(INCLUDEZPOWER)" to jump to the changed lines.

• As for the Zodiac Power script, it has been significantly trimmed down, with most of the battle menu edits being moved into a different script. You can go ahead and just replace you Zodiac Power script with the updated one.

However, if you want to use Zodiac Powers in conjunction with Dynamax (as well as Megas, Z-Moves, Ultra Burst), a new script called "Battle_Compatibility" needs to be installed. It's found in the Scripts/Other folder in the download link. This script must be installed after all of the battle scripts and battle edits. In addition to this, new switches have been added (one for each battle mechanic) that must be turned "on" in-game to allow that specific battle mechanic to be used. So make sure you turn the ZODIAC_SWITCH on during gameplay to allow for the use of Zodiac Powers. If using Luka's EBS, install the updated EliteBattle_Compatibility script, instead. Note however, that Dynamax is currently bugged with EBS.

Last edited:

Pokeminer20

PDM20, Coder of Chaos!
    Years
    Minor Update 7/22/20: Dynamax Compatibility
    I just released an update to the Dynamax Tutorial, which I posted here. This adds the Dynamax mechanic to the game. Because of this, I took measures to ensure compatibility across not just these Birthsign scripts, but Z-Moves, and Ultra Burst as well. The goal is to try to allow all of these battle mechanics to function in unison without overlap or errors. To make these accommodations, I've updated this project to allow it to work together with Dynamax.

• The Birthsigns_Core script remains the same, only with the removal of the INCLUDE_ZMOVE and INCLUDE_ZPOWER toggles. They are no longer needed.

• The changes to the Birthsign_Effects script are minimal, and you can just use CTRL+F and search for "dynamax" to find all the small edits that were made if you don't want to have to re-install the entire script.

• The Birthsigns_Journal and Events scripts received very minor edits for compatibility. If you don't want to reinstall these whole scripts, just use CTRL+F to search for
      "defined?(INCLUDEZPOWER)" to jump to the changed lines.

• As for the Zodiac Power script, it has been significantly trimmed down, with most of the battle menu edits being moved into a different script. You can go ahead and just replace you Zodiac Power script with the updated one.

However, if you want to use Zodiac Powers in conjunction with Dynamax (as well as Megas, Z-Moves, Ultra Burst), a new script called "Battle_Compatibility" needs to be installed. It's found in the Scripts/Other folder in the download link. This script must be installed after all of the battle scripts and battle edits. In addition to this, new switches have been added (one for each battle mechanic) that must be turned "on" in-game to allow that specific battle mechanic to be used. So make sure you turn the ZODIAC_SWITCH on during gameplay to allow for the use of Zodiac Powers. If using Luka's EBS, install the updated EliteBattle_Compatibility script, instead. Note however, that Dynamax is currently bugged with EBS.

and it's broken on my end. I installed all the scripts and this is the error I get when trying to enter a battle, grass, overworld or debugged

Code:
    ---------------------------
    Pokémon Axis
    Script 'Interpreter' line 276: RuntimeError occurred.
    Script error within event 31 (coords 70,26), map 109 (Perigrove Way):
    Exception: ArgumentError
    Message: Birthsign Compat (Lucidious89):191:in `pbFromPBMove'wrong number of arguments(2 for 3)
    ***Full script:
    pbWildBattle(:STARAVIA,18)

Interpreter:243:in `pbExecuteScript'
    Birthsign Compat (Lucidious89):191:in `initialize'
    Overworld_Random_Encounters:623:in `new'
    Overworld_Random_Encounters:623:in `pbWildBattle'
    (eval):1:in `pbExecuteScript'
    Interpreter:1606:in `eval'
    Interpreter:1606:in `command_355'
    Interpreter:494:in `execute_command'
    Interpreter:193:in `update'

OK   

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    and it's broken on my end. I installed all the scripts and this is the error I get when trying to enter a battle, grass, overworld or debugged

Code:
    Pokémon Axis
    Script 'Interpreter' line 276: RuntimeError occurred.
    Script error within event 31 (coords 70,26), map 109 (Perigrove Way):
    Exception: ArgumentError
    Message: Birthsign Compat (Lucidious89):191:in `pbFromPBMove'wrong number of arguments(2 for 3)
    ***Full script:
    pbWildBattle(:STARAVIA,18)

Birthsign Compat (Lucidious89):191:in `initialize'
    Overworld_Random_Encounters:623:in `new'
    Overworld_Random_Encounters:623:in `pbWildBattle'
    (eval):1:in `pbExecuteScript'
    Interpreter:1606:in `eval'
    Interpreter:1606:in `command_355'
    Interpreter:494:in `execute_command'
    Interpreter:193:in `update'

OK   

Need some context. What are all the scripts you're using, and in what order? I feel like this is probably something simple. Post a pic of your layout or something. This isn't really enough to go off of.

Pokeminer20

PDM20, Coder of Chaos!
    Years
    Need some context. What are all the scripts you're using, and in what order? I feel like this is probably something simple. Post a pic of your layout or something. This isn't really enough to go off of.

It pointed me to some stuff with struggle, and I changed it to this:
    Code:
        if hasConst?(PBMoves,:STRUGGLE)
          @struggle = PokeBattle_Move.pbFromPBMove(self,PBMove.new(getConst(PBMoves,:STRUGGLE)),nil)
        else
          @struggle = PokeBattle_Struggle.new(self,nil,nil)
        end
    then it gave me a problem with aiMemory so I changed this
    Code:
        @lastMoveUser    = -1
        @nextPickupUse   = 0
    to this
    Code:
        @lastMoveUser    = -1
        @aiMoveMemory    = [[],[],[[],[],[],[],[],[],[],[],[],[],[],[]]]
        @nextPickupUse   = 0

Years
    • Seen today
    It pointed me to some stuff with struggle, and I changed it to this:
    Code:
        if hasConst?(PBMoves,:STRUGGLE)
          @struggle = PokeBattle_Move.pbFromPBMove(self,PBMove.new(getConst(PBMoves,:STRUGGLE)),nil)
        else
          @struggle = PokeBattle_Struggle.new(self,nil,nil)
        end
    then it gave me a problem with aiMemory so I changed this
    Code:
        @lastMoveUser    = -1
        @nextPickupUse   = 0
    to this
    Code:
        @lastMoveUser    = -1
        @aiMoveMemory    = [[],[],[[],[],[],[],[],[],[],[],[],[],[],[]]]
        @nextPickupUse   = 0

Idk about all that lol. None of this seems particularly relevant to Birthsigns. This is why I think that its something to do with the order you installed things or something like that. That's why I asked to see what your script order looks like.

Pokeminer20

PDM20, Coder of Chaos!
    Years
    I am a meticulous man, I take all precaution before posting here. -_-
    Pokemon Birthsigns

Years
    • Seen today
    I am a meticulous man, I take all precaution before posting here. -_-
    Pokemon Birthsigns

Ok hmm. Definitely a lot of stuff installed there, it could be a number of things. Honestly, maybe just try placing the Compatibility script right under the Zodiac Powers script instead. Zodiac Powers were working for you before, right? If so, then it should work like it did before if you just place the compatibility script right under it. Something in one of those other installed scripts must me changing something with that Struggle line that my script is inadvertently undoing.

Pokeminer20

PDM20, Coder of Chaos!
    Years
    Ok hmm. Definitely a lot of stuff installed there, it could be a number of things. Honestly, maybe just try placing the Compatibility script right under the Zodiac Powers script instead. Zodiac Powers were working for you before, right? If so, then it should work like it did before if you just place the compatibility script right under it. Something in one of those other installed scripts must me changing something with that Struggle line that my script is inadvertently undoing.

yea, that's the thing, when I originally installed it it was directly under the Zodiac section, and it was still giving me problems. I believe the initial problem is that our version of struggle was coded differently (not sure why, but it was) . my 'fix' above did undo that, but that's not my current problem anymore. this is the current error message I'm getting
    Spoiler:

and the relevant code it originate from and points to is
    def CommandPhase
    and
    def pbTarget(move)
    either it cannot determine [side] or so I'm confused to which of the two is the problem in this instance. wish I could give more info on this bug I'm getting but there isn't anything else I can give without full diving deeper into what we have

Pokeminer20

PDM20, Coder of Chaos!
    Years
    dear god I am so pissed at this. the problem was we had zMove stuff hard coded in other sections of the script and the Switch defined in the compatibility side was turned off

Years
    • Seen today
    dear god I am so pissed at this. the problem was we had zMove stuff hard coded in other sections of the script and the Switch defined in the compatibility side was turned off

Ahhh yeah. That is annoying. At least you caught the problem.

Years
    • Seen Apr 17, 2022
    Lucidious89 [B said:
    Imposing a once-per-battle rule for Zodiac Powers:[/B]
    By default, you can use Zodiac Powers an unlimited number of times in battle. This is balanced by the Zodiac Gems (which trigger the powers) being consumables. However, you can still implement a once per battle rule by simply doing this -
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Hi, I have the latest version of the script, the one that goes along with the Dynamax (great scprit, by the way). But I have done the above, so that it is only one per battle but keep deleting the item, is that so, or have I misunderstood?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    Hi, I have the latest version of the script, the one that goes along with the Dynamax (great scprit, by the way). But I have done the above, so that it is only one per battle but keep deleting the item, is that so, or have I misunderstood?

The items are still considered consumables even with the once per battle clause.

Years
    • Seen May 26, 2024
    So i only came across the issue recently, and believed it worked prior, but zodiac powers are broken for me, i have the items and the journal even knows what one for which, and the powers all seem coded, and giving the right zodica item for that signs month, the button appears, and activating it the mega way with pressing z till it changes (so once) then using a move, but it just only does the move?

I am using EBS aswell as the compatibility script for it, might do a fresh install of the powers see if that fixes anything, but any idea what the problem could be? the game seems to think it can use them and stuff but just doesnt. (the birthsign abilities in the party and stuff work and everything else just not the zodiac powers.)

Years
    • Seen today
    So i only came across the issue recently, and believed it worked prior, but zodiac powers are broken for me, i have the items and the journal even knows what one for which, and the powers all seem coded, and giving the right zodica item for that signs month, the button appears, and activating it the mega way with pressing z till it changes (so once) then using a move, but it just only does the move?

I am using EBS aswell as the compatibility script for it, might do a fresh install of the powers see if that fixes anything, but any idea what the problem could be? the game seems to think it can use them and stuff but just doesnt. (the birthsign abilities in the party and stuff work and everything else just not the zodiac powers.)

Did you turn the ability to use Zodiac Powers by setting the ZODIAC_SWITCH to "on"? The newest version of the script requires a switch to be turned on to use Zodiac Powers (to make it compatible with other battle mechanics, such as Dynamax). The fact that the button still shows up though is weird, it's not supposed to show unless the switch is already on. I'll look into that.

Years
    • Seen May 26, 2024
    Did you turn the ability to use Zodiac Powers by setting the ZODIAC_SWITCH to "on"? The newest version of the script requires a switch to be turned on to use Zodiac Powers (to make it compatible with other battle mechanics, such as Dynamax). The fact that the button still shows up though is weird, it's not supposed to show unless the switch is already on. I'll look into that.

hmm okay i'll add the updated version since the "ZODIAC_SWITCH" reference doesnt appear in the my version/old version. I'll test that now (before sending this)

So updated and seems i missed the effects page (or i instead added each section into the existing code) added that, managed to get around the fresh save issue, however, im getting issues with the party part of the effects, getting cant convert array into a string on line 393 :
    Code:
          command = @scene.pbShowCommands(_INTL("Do what with {1}?",pkmn.name),commands)
    not sure why tho, i've just copied and pasted it across and change the class names to the v16 ones (would say a v17 thing but the cmd code seems to be identical or barely different) note: does only seem to happen to ones that might have powers? like the aristocrat one (meowth) opening the party menu for a pokemon with that is fine, as it has no power(?) option but the empath (mesprit) and the maiden (gardevoir) both do it.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    hmm okay i'll add the updated version since the "ZODIAC_SWITCH" reference doesnt appear in the my version/old version. I'll test that now (before sending this)

So updated and seems i missed the effects page (or i instead added each section into the existing code) added that, managed to get around the fresh save issue, however, im getting issues with the party part of the effects, getting cant convert array into a string on line 393 :
    Code:
          command = @scene.pbShowCommands(_INTL("Do what with {1}?",pkmn.name),commands)
    not sure why tho, i've just copied and pasted it across and change the class names to the v16 ones (would say a v17 thing but the cmd code seems to be identical or barely different) note: does only seem to happen to ones that might have powers? like the aristocrat one (meowth) opening the party menu for a pokemon with that is fine, as it has no power(?) option but the empath (mesprit) and the maiden (gardevoir) both do it.

It sounds like it's probably a v.16 thing. I always test all of my code in a fresh copy of Essentials 17.2 to make sure there aren't any errors, and I'm not getting this issue. The best I could say is to compare this section of the code that is giving you problems to the v16 equivalent and see where they differ. The section of code you're looking at is just an adaptation of the "pbPokemonScreen" def found in the base script. It's probably something small that is easy to overlook, that's how it always is lol. It doesn't sound like it has to do with the command code itself, however, it has something to do with the script being unable to convert the array of command options into a string to present as the Pokemon's option list. I don't really know how or why that would be the case, though. Wish I could be more help, but its been years since I looked at v16.

Years
    • Seen May 26, 2024
    It sounds like it's probably a v.16 thing. I always test all of my code in a fresh copy of Essentials 17.2 to make sure there aren't any errors, and I'm not getting this issue. The best I could say is to compare this section of the code that is giving you problems to the v16 equivalent and see where they differ. The section of code you're looking at is just an adaptation of the "pbPokemonScreen" def found in the base script. It's probably something small that is easy to overlook, that's how it always is lol. It doesn't sound like it has to do with the command code itself, however, it has something to do with the script being unable to convert the array of command options into a string to present as the Pokemon's option list. I don't really know how or why that would be the case, though. Wish I could be more help, but its been years since I looked at v16.

perfectly fine, i've been slowly updating to v17 (here and there) but I'll do a look and come back to you, felt i should do that but didnt want to after posting my reply.

(midtesting) but is there to make it work for existing saves? just curious felt i got round it but no success, moreso with the zodiacsigns global metadata, cuz might have to go back to old zodiac due to saves and stuff.

So compared base and this, the break bit is different and none of the _INTL's have numbers after them like the powers, besides that there are no differences and i cant see whats wrong. might grab an older vers part of that and see the differences/add that back?

OH found it, it is the ,1's after the command bits, but i didnt remove the bit around the end of the moves, it works now. still that issue of existing saves, thus probably cant test zodica's.

Testing the zodiacs with a kinda backstep for now, but even with the switch on and the right zodica, being maiden being may, and having the mayzodiaca, but no button appears. only changse from old to new is the include_zpower and _zmove changed to the switches. not sure here.

Pokemon Birthsigns

issue here with the players sign, always comes back as 0 aka void, even tho there is a sign? unless the actual way changed (i know its changed from the time.mon but how it gets the players zodiac) not sure here.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    perfectly fine, i've been slowly updating to v17 (here and there) but I'll do a look and come back to you, felt i should do that but didnt want to after posting my reply.

(midtesting) but is there to make it work for existing saves? just curious felt i got round it but no success, moreso with the zodiacsigns global metadata, cuz might have to go back to old zodiac due to saves and stuff.

So compared base and this, the break bit is different and none of the _INTL's have numbers after them like the powers, besides that there are no differences and i cant see whats wrong. might grab an older vers part of that and see the differences/add that back?

OH found it, it is the ,1's after the command bits, but i didnt remove the bit around the end of the moves, it works now. still that issue of existing saves, thus probably cant test zodica's.

Testing the zodiacs with a kinda backstep for now, but even with the switch on and the right zodica, being maiden being may, and having the mayzodiaca, but no button appears. only changse from old to new is the include_zpower and _zmove changed to the switches. not sure here.

Pokemon Birthsigns

issue here with the players sign, always comes back as 0 aka void, even tho there is a sign? unless the actual way changed (i know its changed from the time.mon but how it gets the players zodiac) not sure here.

Yeah if you're trying to use the newest zodiac scripts on old save data, you're gonna have headaches. I changed how everything works a few updates ago that makes all the mechanics run 100x more efficiently by simply relying on global metadata and initializing certain things from the start so I didn't have to keep finding roundabout ways to call things and make things work. The Trainer sign for example is zero in your game because you're playing on old save data where the Trainer sign wasn't initialized from the beginning (which is how it works now). It wouldn't be possible for the Trainer sign to be zero through normal means, since by default the sign is initialized at the beginning to be equal to the zodiac global metadata of that current month (and can then be changed from there). So the only way it could be zero or nil is if you literally manually coded it to be as such. Or, in this case, have a save file where that global data it's trying to call on isn't there.

I know it's probably a huge hassle for people like you who have existing projects that can't afford to start new saves for whatever reason. But I try to design things based around what would be easiest for people to install who are new to this and are just starting off. It gets too confusing when you try to accommodate everyone's custom projects at various stages of completion.

Back