• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon is a kid's game!

Years
  • Pokemon is a kid's game!

hah

rhettz_emboar

Did you just pee??
    Years
  • yeah, some say that to me,
    whenever they saw me playing pokemon, they always say "duh, pokemon again?" well i said, duh, you again? get lost! haha {XD}

But pokemon would not reach GEN VI if it is only for kids
    whatever they say
    I"LL ALWAYS LOVE POKEMON! {XD}

Miss Anne Thrope

Disgusted
    Years
  • Oh jeez. Of course people are going to tell you Pokemon is a kids game.
    Just like how t hey're going to tell a girl that TMNT is for boys, or a boy that MLP is for girls. It's the audience the marketing has targeted and some people are stupid enough to think that if they aren't the target audience, they shouldn't be enjoying it.

ISA56 2.0

The one and only!
    Years
  • Actually, I seldom have this problem. A lot of people in my school actually played Pokémon during Gens 1-3, so most of them are pretty tolerable about my love of the games, and a few often ask for tips in team-building!

Years
  • I've never been told this but if my parents knew they'd probably say it was for kids. I'd just ignore such statements and keep playing - no use explaining that it's a family game to my parents since they just don't understand these things. I've been pretty lucky since I have friends who play and none of them would call me childish over that. ;P

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2016
    I've had the, "grow up, pokemons for kids" speech a few times. I always say that every game you play is a little escape from reality, is Call of Duty or GTA an Adults Game? No, because kids play it. Does that make it a kids game? No.

Games are for everyone, and everyone has a right to play what they want. I still get stuck at bits of pokemon games, if it wasn't for the Internet sometimes I wouldn't be ale to do it.

But every 5 year old would right, because its a "kids game".

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    There's no use trying to respond to them, reasoning out would only provoke them. I usually just ignore those comments. There's nothing childish about playing a game that pits two creatures at each other until either one faints and/or dies. It's pretty brutal if you ask me ;)

YungKnowledge

Kigo & Jori Shipper
    Years
  • Yes my Grandmother and Aunt say I need to stop playing. But I just tell them the games have keep out of trouble so far in life so do I really need to quit? BTW I'm 21 and I have no kids and I never been near a jail cell. So yes in my hometown that amazing. Pokemon and gaming in general has keep me out of trouble.

bn11

Poached egg
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Mar 27, 2014
    Well it's a game aimed at kids so it's a kid's game in that sense. Plus I don't know of any adults that didn't play as a child then discovered they enjoy it now.

For me, it's a part of my childhood that I never let go. If someone told me I was too old for pokemon, then they're probably too old to think other people should dictate what I enjoy.

gSpartan150

Intermediate Johto Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jun 30, 2013
    YES. It seems like all the time. I ussually respond by either ignoring it or just saying 'whatever'.

YES. It seems like all the time. I usually respond by either ignoring it or just saying 'whatever'.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    I'm 19 and still play Pokemon and watch it still heck I'm playing Pokemon snakewood right now on my PSP 1000 so your never to old for Pokemon

Years
  • I introduced my friends to the games last year and half the class (these are 20-25 year old guys) was playing them for a few weeks. But then they found it too tedious to train so many Pokemon so they quit.
    But no one of them thought it was a kid's game or anything.

One of my friends did ask me to grow up because I play Pokemon a lot. I didn't really bother though.

No Worries

Biggest Obito fan ever!
    Years
  • I get it alot, actually. I don't let it bother me, though. They don't know what they're talking about as they've probably never played any of the games so I liken it to a crazy person mumbling nonsense at me (although I don't consider the people who make those comments at me crazy, lol).

CptSwaggerPants

Hi, I'm John Wayne..JK, I CAMP
    Years
  • Does anyone ever tell you that you shouldn't be a Pokemon fan because it's a "kid's game"? If yes, how do you respond to that?

All the time. I'm in my mid twenties now with an established job, paid house and a paid truck...a nice truck and I still get it. They tell me that I'm immature and not normal but you know what, people that only try to down grade what makes others happy are the ones that are really abnormal because normal people don't want to see others unhappy. I've been playing Pokémon since 1997 and I haven't stopped, won't ever stop. No ones opinion is going to affect that especially when the people that try to talk down to me can't pay for their own stuff, live their lives TO make other people unhappy and just in general are pests.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    The only one who has downright told me that is my sister, who used to play but stopped. She is a lot younger than me, so that's saying something maybe. But no one else really knows that I like pokémon. Could be because I'm not really playing it so much that people notice :p Could also be because I don't find a need to tell anyone about everything I like or do. Pokémon is one such thing that I keep as a private interest - me and the rest of PC and the world haha.

I guess some know. But they don't say anything actually because - and this is the crucial point - it's a game! It's just a game. it's not just a game lol There are many games that could arguably have been made for children but are played by older people. Because games exist to let people have fun for a while. What I mean is that I think it's accepted that I play pokémon now and then because it doesn't necessarily imply that I'm some kind of nerd who needs to get out more.

Oh, if they really knew me. Lmfao

Years
  • The only one who has downright told me that is my sister, who used to play but stopped. She is a lot younger than me, so that's saying something maybe. But no one else really knows that I like pokémon. Could be because I'm not really playing it so much that people notice :p Could also be because I don't find a need to tell anyone about everything I like or do. Pokémon is one such thing that I keep as a private interest - me and the rest of PC and the world haha.

I guess some know. But they don't say anything actually because - and this is the crucial point - it's a game! It's just a game. it's not just a game lol There are many games that could arguably have been made for children but are played by older people. Because games exist to let people have fun for a while. What I mean is that I think it's accepted that I play pokémon now and then because it doesn't necessarily imply that I'm some kind of nerd who needs to get out more.

Oh, if they really knew me. Lmfao

I totally agree with you. :)

I don't let everyone know what I like, simply because I don't have time for their foolishness. People will always judge other people. It is in their nature lol

Back