• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokemon Sour Crystal (improvement hack)

ericgall23

Quiet Pokémon fan
Years
  • Hi there! :)

I played your game up to the end! I want to say that I really loved it! It's awesome, very well done and it was very fun in most cases! It brings back memories from HGSS in Kanto, which is really good!

What I really liked in your game:
    - The new sprites for the Pokémon, as well as the new mini-sprites for them! It feels like your game is really unique, and in some cases, better than the original! :) The fact that each Pokémon has it's own mini-sprite is really awesome, and it should have been this way in the originals as well! Very good job! ;) ;)
    - New movesets for most Pokémon! This makes your game more unique, and exciting too, and different too! ;)
    - You kept the original 251 Pokémon and the same moves as Gen 2! It's very important for trading with TGB DUAL with all games, including originals! ;) Thanks for keeping those the same! ;)
    - The moves got updated up to Gen 8! This is truly awesome, coz I do this in all my Gold version games (since 2018 precisely), but I keep them up to Gen 7 (which is very good enough), and always, coz I want the same basis for all my Gold version games, and my future ones too! I'm very glad that I'm not the only who do this! Thanks for doing this as well! Very good job! ;)
    - TMs compatibility have also been updated up to Gen8 for most Pokémon (Well, I tried teaching Sweet Scent to my Teddiursa via TM12, but it can't learn it, even though it learn Sweet Scent via level-up, but it's alright and i don't care much about Sweet scent, coz it was just for trying it!)! This is really awesome that you did this as well, and I do this too in my Gold version games as well! Very good job for this too! ;)
    - The fact that TMS are reusable all the time, like HMs! This is a huge improvement, and I couldn't believe it!!! This is REally awesome for sure! I was feeling like I played Black2, the best and last game I bought! It's really fun to have TMs that are reusable! It should have been this way in all games since the first one! A very good job for this significant and important change! ;)
    - The fact that use of HMs are replaced by a brand new fonction, the Pager! This is also very huge improvement, and it's so convenient and awesome!!! I didn't believe it too, and it could have always been a feature present in all games since the first ones! Because of it, we don't need to teach weak or useless moves in fight like Cut and Flash anymore, and it's a very welcome change! Thanks a lot for doing this too! A very well done job too! ;)
    - The fact we can reuse a repel when one is finished! I remember this feature was in Black2 too, and it's really convenient too! Thanks for putting this too! Well done! ;)
    - Kanto Gyms and most Kanto trainers got updated and stronger! Thanks a lot for this, coz Kanto was really more fun and more challenging than the original game! ;)
    - The new areas (Viridian Forest, Cerulean Cave, Seafoam Cave, Yellow Forest, Route 47-48 and Pokémon Mansion are all really awesome and very well done! They really feel like we're playing HG/SS in most of them. However, the brand new one: Yellow Forest (instead of Safari Zone), is really cool too, but I wonder where it come from? Whatever, seeing new places is always awesome in a game, and love differences! ;) Good job for all of this! ;)
    - The new musics for Routes 47-48, Yellow Forest, Cerulean City and Routes 24-25, as well as legendray battles musics, are all very well done and enjoyable! Very good job for this! ;)
    - Blue's Gym was really cool and awesome! A great memory from HG-SS! ;) Thanks so much! ;)
    - GS Ball is obtainable in your game, and so, we can get Celebi!

However, here's what I liked less in your game:
    - Well, most trainers in Johto, including the Gyms and Elite Four, are the same as in the original game! However, since there are new movesets for Pokémon, it's not that of a problem! But, I would have liked some differences, even little...
    - Most dialogs (like 98%) are the same as the original game. However, it's not that of a problem too, since it's still Johto and Kanto... It's alright!
    - It was funny that a boy in Cerulean City talks about Cerulean Cave in the past form ("There used to be a cave...), when in reality, in your game, the cave is still present and we clearly see it! :) It's just funny and weird!
    - Why would we buy TM29 (Psychic) at Celadon Game Corner when we can get it for free in Mr. Psychic's house in Saffron City? At least, there's a verification of this! (Good job for this! );) Also, the fact that TM33, TM41 and TM48 are both sold in the two big marts (Goldenrod and Celadon) is redondant. I think all TMs should be sold/obtained in one place...(it's not that of a problem, but it would make more sense.)
    - The new Pokémon Center on Route 3 is nice, but if you lose a battle after exiting it, you're sent back in your home, in New Bark Toen (Johto)... I know a solution: Make a jealing house with a tilest from an house (like the one on Route 26 where you can heal your Pokémon) The reason for this is the Pokémon Center tileset (well, it's this way in a gold version game). Believe me! ;) Otherwise, it's not so "grave", coz we can always use fly via the Pager to return all the way to Pewter City, and so to Mt.Moon or Route 3.
    - The fact the adventure is mostly the same as the original game, but it's not a big problem... I was expecting this, so it's alright.

Bref, I'm really proud to have played your game, and I will keep it in my games for sure, coz I want to play it again in the future! You did a very excellent job (sometimes even better than me!). I truly respect your work and your skills, and it's clear that you put a lot of work, passion and love into it! :) I felt it all the way in my adventure in your game! ;) Also, I think we have things in common in this domain, and I sincerely love what you done, and I'm sure that if we were to know each other in the real life, we could get along very well, coz it's clear that we have a passion for creating games and Pokémon! ;) However, i don't think this will happen ever, but it's alright! ;) Don't worry! ;) I just support you! ;)

If you have made some other games (Gen 1 or Gen 2 with same original Pokémon and original moves (but moves can be updated up to Gens later, like 3 to 8)), I will be very interested to try them! ;)

I sincerely wish you the best success and luck in your fututre projects, if you have some others! ;)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2024
    I just want to know where the covenant orb is?

I believe there's one in Dark Cave, Route 45 side. Just finished playing through this and I believe that's where I remember finding it.

Overall, really awesome hack. I really like the improvements to the Kanto portion in particular. Only complaints I have really are, like ericgall23 said, I'd have liked to have seen some improvements to the trainers in the Johto portion as well like in HeartGold/SoulSilver. The Gym Leaders and other "important" trainers like the Rival battles and Rocket Executive battles in particular. Also, would be nice to be able to catch the Starter Pokemon. Lastly, something else that would be cool, if possible, is updated Rematch battles with the Elite Four like in HG/SS and other games. That's all pretty minor stuff overall though IMO. Like I said, this hack is really awesome overall and I thoroughly enjoyed playing through it

Years
    • Seen Apr 17, 2023
    I'm about to start playing this game. Are there any type changes/ stat buffs like in other similar hacks?

Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2024
    I didn't see information on if this hack is a 251 hack. If it is, that's amazing. I'm downloading regardless.

Also, a suggestion: Make Splash lower its opponents accuracy. That way, Magikarp isn't completely useless. Maybe lower the PP to 20 and make the move's base accuracy 90 or something.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2024
    Hello, first I would like to say thank you for the hack.

I found some minor issues.
    1. After a new pokemon is caught, the pokedex text skips page 1 and shows page 2 directly.
    2. It seems trainer rematches will not level up, but use their original level of pokemons instead.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    Good one, specially the Kanto level up and the old/new places like Cinnabar Mansion! I didn't have to keep Water pokémon for using Surf/Waterfall/Whirlpool. Great!

I miss a run button, second E4, better rival battle on Mt. Moon and RBY Mt. Moon.

A bit strange to include Whirlpool on PSS, but make Waterfall working just having the badge.

Bug: There are some Kanto trainers without level increase like Schoolboy Kipp using Lv27 Voltorb.

I didn't see information on if this hack is a 251 hack. If it is, that's amazing. I'm downloading regardless.
    Unfortunately it isn't.

Years
    • Seen May 30, 2023
    Hi! That's an amazing hack, I'm having a ton of fun playing it! However, I've noticed that a few moves still retain their original unchanged proprieties. Razor Wind, for example, is still only 75% accurate as opposed to its 100% accuracy on Gen 3 and beyond. Leech Life also only has 20BP instead of 80 on Gen 7 + and Kinesis is supposed to lower the opponent's accuracy by 2 stages instead of just one, hence why it has lower accuracy and PP in comparison to Flash, for example.

Last edited:

darthbr

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    Please update it and give what we want xD
    MT moon gen 1 etc. Also add minisprites for each pokemon

Last edited:

darthbr

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    I found a sprite bug in olivine tower. Ampharos with wrong sprite. Its using The same sprite as Silver... But when u give The potion it becomes The right ampharos sprite.
    Also in cianwood theres a sign pointing to "yellow forest" lol and a npc inside The cave talking about yellow forest too
    Theres another sign near safari zone that isnt showing words its blank
    - you can get another Quick claw in cliff edge. I think it isnt worth because u get one in Park with The persian girl. Maybe change for another good item.
    First time you enter in the safari building.. There two guys.. When u talk to the one to enter for 500$.. He Will move up to the guy next to The door.. When u leave.. And enter again The second guy is gone forever. Its weird.. Just saiying.
    - there are grimers appearing into The water when u use surf in marsh zone. Weird lol

My PAGER doesnt have The summon Page.. Where i can take it? I started a New save file before this New update. Can u help me? Didnt used cheats
    ---
    Thank you for addind mini sprites. Gave The game a fresh New Air. Next updates can u add vanilla places from rby. MT moon? I think theres not much to add

- add function to automatic add Phone aftr battle
    - make gyms a bit more challeging like bugsy ass team and others. Jasmine two magnemites change for another poke like sandslash i dont know. Change same pokemon for another one to diversify

Last edited:

darthbr

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    Also if you teach flash and fly. You cannot use it outside battle.
    The pokegear isnt showing fly flash etc.. Can u fix it? Its a pain to play like that

I didnt used The original one. I started using The same save file of prévious update.. I dont know what happened. Theres a npc that can fix it? Maybe trigger if u dont have it.. IF u already have He Will Just ignore.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2024
    Also if you teach flash and fly. You cannot use it outside battle.
    The pokegear isnt showing fly flash etc.. Can u fix it? Its a pain to play like that

I didnt used The original one. I started using The same save file of prévious update.. I dont know what happened. Theres a npc that can fix it? Maybe trigger if u dont have it.. IF u already have He Will Just ignore.

Thank you for taking the time to report all this.

First of all, the errors with the safari wardens and the ampharos sprite are related to broken save files. There should never be 2 wardens so this will auto correct itself when you first play the safari game.

The ampharos sprite is due to this update's shifting of the event flags. The only way for it to work correctly is to make a new save file. However its just a visual oddity and will repair itself when the event is complete.

Thanks for reporting that blank sign, I have fixed that and the remaining references to yellow forest.

The quick claw has been changed to a Silver Powder now.

Grimer being found in the water is intentional. Grimer is found in murky/dirty water in several official games including HGSS's Safari Zone.

The Pager system is given to you by professor Elm, if you did not receive it after you gave him the mystery egg then you will need to create a new save file as your previous save must have missed that.

The phone system and an extra difficulty setting will be added in a future update.
    As for Mt.Moon, I will give it some thought.

If you really need to use your current save file, please send it to me and I will fix it.

Last edited:

darthbr

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    Thank you for taking the time to report all this.

First of all, the errors with the safari wardens and the ampharos sprite are related to broken save files. There should never be 2 wardens so this will auto correct itself when you first play the safari game.

The ampharos sprite is due to this update's shifting of the event flags. The only way for it to work correctly is to make a new save file. However its just a visual oddity and will repair itself when the event is complete.

Thanks for reporting that blank sign, I have fixed that and the remaining references to yellow forest.

The quick claw has been changed to a Silver Powder now.

Grimer being found in the water is intentional. Grimer is found in murky/dirty water in several official games including HGSS's Safari Zone.

The Pager system is given to you by professor Elm, if you did not receive it after you gave him the mystery egg then you will need to create a new save file as your previous save must have missed that.

The phone system and an extra difficulty setting will be added in a future update.
    As for Mt.Moon, I will give it some thought.

If you really need to use your current save file, please send it to me and I will fix it.

Oh Yes. No problem. I restarted a fresh one. My bad. The emulator created two save files in different folder. So it loaded at beggining The vanilla one.

The New one. Its working like a charm.
    After this suggestions. Can u add a move releaner?

Thank you

Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2024
    Any hint on how to encounter Mew? I've been through the Pokemon Mansion a couple times now but haven't been able to figure anything out.

Years
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    Hi BlazingMagmar, sorry to ask but I really want to play your hack and I need to know: is the next update near or will it be later in the future? Are you going to add following pokemon like in crystal clear? that would be great! Thanks a lot for the answer

Back