• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon you never thought you would use but ended up using.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
Years
  • Pokemon you never thought you would use but ended up using.

This guy.

At first, I wasn't too terribly fond of Lycanroc-Midnight. If Sun was my main game instead of Moon, I would've been more satisfied mostly because Midday seems to have better stats, but man, I can't tell you how many times Midnight form managed to save my ass against so many important people in the story. It's actually one of my most useful party members simply because it's so easy to set up Bulk Up + destroy everything either with Continental Crush or just some other move. The increased bulk is also very welcome because despite how it looks, it can most definitely take a few hits.

It's just so ridiculously easy to steamroll NPCs with Midnight that it's laughable.

I am not someone whom look at stats luckily!
    I've always loved the Midnight form more than the Midday for some reasons, I like his cheeky and insanity overloaded look!
    Mine was a real powerhouse too.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • Minior, man. I remember not thinking much of it back when it was revealed, but having used one for a little bit now, I can say it's easily my favorite Gen 7 pokemon so far. The little gumball meteorite is fun to use with a pretty diverse movepool, and an ability that is actually really good. It comes in 8 different flavors too, lol. Unfortunately the coolest looking one, the black core, is it's shiny color.

Years
  • The only Bug Pokémon I actually use is Surskit! I loved it's Bug/Water Typing and I always used it for gimmicks. Now Dewpider and Araquid comes! I LOVE IT SO MUCH GUYS! It's everything I wanted it to be! It's a Sp. Def Bug Type! It looks cool! It the Pyschic Types worst nightmare! I can just can't! Someone hold my hand my... I can't wait to finish the game and breed for a Shiny one!!!

Years
  • Pokemon you never thought you would use but ended up using.

This guy.

At first, I wasn't too terribly fond of Lycanroc-Midnight. If Sun was my main game instead of Moon, I would've been more satisfied mostly because Midday seems to have better stats, but man, I can't tell you how many times Midnight form managed to save my ass against so many important people in the story. It's actually one of my most useful party members simply because it's so easy to set up Bulk Up + destroy everything either with Continental Crush or just some other move. The increased bulk is also very welcome because despite how it looks, it can most definitely take a few hits.

It's just so ridiculously easy to steamroll NPCs with Midnight that it's laughable.

I can definitely comment you on this since I used Midnight Lycanroc as well, and trust me it's not as bad as people think it is, but that's coming from people who prefer Midday Form's superior Speed and signature move Accelerock, but Midnight Form's design is really awesome and it surprisingly did me very well in the main story. I'm someone who never uses Rock-types a lot, but my Midnight Lycanroc definitely proved her (mine was female fyi) worthiness, and getting the Rock Z-Move Continental Crush only just made her even more of a champ.

Midnight Form has slightly better defenses and HP than Midday Form, but that doesn't mean you can't give it a try. Definitely a word of advice I'd give to Moon players that's for sure, because Lycanroc is a definite powerhouse of the generation.

Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2021
    My Stufful was bred to have ice punch and thunder punch. I thought Bewear was going to be another jokemon made for novelty, but my Bewear will wreck lives once stufful evolves.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    For me it's Lunala, because of it's weakness for Dark and ghost, I thought I would never use it. And I thought I would use Solgaleo in it's stead.

The same can be said about Vikavolt, I never thought I would use it, as I didn't like it.

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
    Years
  • I ended up using Mudsdale on Sun even though I think it's badly designed.

Can't deny it's been useful but still think it's that badly designed that I won't include it on my permanent team, now I've got Moon Ball Gible.

I'm going to be using Alolan Muk out of necessity in my Moon game.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • This is tough... Maybe Decidueye. I never actually thought I would get this far in the game with it, lol.

Acnologia Rising

Koliax Rogue
    Years
  • Cutiefly.
    When they were first leaked, I thought they just looked weak and unable to fend for themselves. After using it, boy has my opinion changed.

I caught one just to fill the team up a little as it was a bit bare (I think by the time I got to catching Cutiefly, my team was Rowlett, Pikipek and Munchlax), but then it amazed me how powerful it was
    Spoiler:
    All in all, Cutiefly and Ribombee both surprised me alot and I am glad she kept her spot in my end game team.

smocks

fiat lux
    Years
  • Definitely Pikipek/Toucannon & Incineroar
    When the new bird Pokémon came out, it didn't look that appealing to me. Cute, but easily forgettable. When I'd started the game I'd just caught one for just the sake of having one but it'd grew to be one of my useful Pokémon. Eventually towards the end of the game I'd boxed it to make room on my team for another Pokémon I'd wanted to use but it was a real shock in the end haha.

For Incineroar, I'd absolutely fell in love with Litten but once Incineroar was confirmed to be Litten's final evo, I'd cried internally. I'd picked Litten from still loving it even though it would end up like Incineroar and just planned to box it later. But as the little bugger evolved in Incineroar and the next thing I know I didn't hate it as much I thought I would and it stuck on my team.
    (Oh and also Bounsweet. Absolutely love Tsareena and wouldn't even be aware of it without it.)

Years
    • Seen Aug 1, 2018
    Aloan sandslash I thought there was going to be a fairy trial but nope, so I decided to keep them in my party since I didn't have a ice type and a steel type. so sandslash turn out to be pretty useful in stats and type coverage. Bewear was a stufful for one of the Aether Foundation sidequests,but I evolved stuffel for the pokedex and saw how Bewear was a complete tank wiping out psychic and ghost types left and right with brutal swing and taking any physical hit even when dealing with the ultra beasts and the tapus

Years
  • Minior! I love his design, but due to not being able to evolve I thought that I wouldn't use him. However, I was really surprised with how helpful he was during my first play-through! He actually entered my first Hall of Fame too :)

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
    Years
  • Alolan Rattata. I caught it as dex filler, but kept it around for quite a while. The ease of access to Hustle, good movepool, decent stats and typing, made it quite useful and was surely surprising.

SirBoglor

[b][I][FONT=Satisfy]It's over, isn't it?[/FONT][/I
    Years
  • For me, it was Araquanid. I've always hated spiders. When I first saw the design for this pokemon, the level of weird creepiness was up there with the UBs for me. But by some unknown force, I have come to love this pokemon. Water bubble is an amazing ability, and it helps cover my Decidueye by wrecking any fire, bug, and dark types that come my way. I love this thing. And the design has actually really grown on me, so there's that.

Years
  • I never thought that was going to use Bounsweet Because i had set my mind on catching a Fomantis and adding him to my team But after seeing how long it took to get a Fomantis with
    A adamant nature i gave up and Decided to catch a Bounsweet

i never thought that i would evolve to something as powerful as Tsareena
    so i ended up keeping it in my team permanently This goes to show that you shouldn't judge a pokemon until it evolves into it's final form.

Last edited:

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • I never thought that was going to use Bounsweet Because i had set my mind on catching a Fomantis and adding him to my team But after seeing how long it took to get a Fomantis with
    A adamant nature i gave up and Decided to catch a Bounsweet .

Same for me! Except I got a Adamant Bouncee so it did influenced my choice. By the time I found a adamant Fomantis, I liked my Tsareena a lot... So I decided to keep her.

Now I don't have any of them on my team as I found cubone and salandit <3 but still... I had Tsareena for a while and I loved it.

But my biggest surprise was... Cutiefly.
    I decided to use it because why not. But it was so cute on the Refresh <3 And then it evolved... omgawd <3 <3 <3 And I really like the move Pollen puff... I can see this Pokemon work in a double battle.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Togedemaru. I didn't think it was all that fantastic, but I saw one in Pok? Finder, and it was super cute! I was lucky enough to find one in the wild only a few minutes later.

Vexingking

Complete Form
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Dec 23, 2016
    For me, the big shocker was Nihilego. It's just an ugly jellyfish that looks like a hat and wig, it has such low defense I couldn't imagine using it - it's likely my best clutch hitter. The story of the main game made me like it more than when I first saw it.

Second is snorlax, I still have my gifted snorlax in my party - he's been with me since day one.

Years
  • Pichu, somehow he just stick in my party and now he's a Alolan Raichu his speed is insanly fast. Always one I can rely on for a last minute clutch of a battle, he knows Electric, Psychic, Fighting and Fairy type moves so he's pretty spread across the board for almost any situation.

Fomantis, caught one last minute to help out in the Water Trial. Now he just stuck in my party and now is a very powerful Lvl. 58 Lurantis.

Back