• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Prism League Discussion (Previously "Our own Pokemon X/Y League")

Leaders/E4 using Pokemon whose Megas change to a different type, yes or no?

• Yes

Votes: 25 75.8%
  • No

Votes: 8 24.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    Last suggestion, I will not bother you guys anymore. It is concern about the champion. How about since we are in BETA. We should gather the first 4 challengers to beat the whole league, then we make a small tournament of semi-final --> and the Final decided between the best 2 best players - like the anime. The winner will be crown it as Champion of Prism League. Then we can go for the final

Years
    • Seen Aug 23, 2014
    I don't think gyms being scouted would be much of a concern from an individual standpoint...if someone has been losing against a gym they should be using their battles as a way to learn and improve. There is a line though on straight-up counter-teaming someone...but if a challenger resorts to using other people's videos to scout (that's without any guarantees that the gym leader would use the same team) then they're probably missing the purpose of the league, which I feel is to challenge yourself and have fun.

I would suggest taking a look at how much freedom is given to challengers, I kinda feel that allowing us to change movesets might be a little too much freedom in some cases. This also ties into the singles-doubles separation, and I agree with Krystia on that point. It's true that challengers should learn to build their teams to play well in singles and doubles but unfortunately not every Pokemon can work in both. Either people are forced to use Pokemon that do well in both formats (thus limiting their options and everyone just runs more or less the same team) or they run with a team that might be ill-suited in one case or another.

I had that dilemma when I was thinking of a team to submit: while I wanted to use the mono-Psychic team that I've been familiar with in Singles I knew I might struggle a bit more on a Doubles match, but time will tell how well it can adapt to Doubles. There might be better insights gained on these topics as the beta goes on, but I think that those things should be on notice.

Polar Spectrum

I'm still here; watching. Waiting.
    Years
    Last suggestion, I will not bother you guys anymore. It is concern about the champion. How about since we are in BETA. We should gather the first 4 challengers to beat the whole league, then we make a small tournament of semi-final --> and the Final decided between the best 2 best players - like the anime. The winner will be crown it as Champion of Prism League. Then we can go for the final

You're not bothering anyone, don't worry ^^ Like I said, we do need feedback. As for the champion, um. Guys, are we even doing a champion position for beta? :v If we are, I'd imagine it's whomever gets there first, with all the wins that entails. If everyone wants a tourney though, (assuming that many people make it to champion) sure, why not eh?

I don't think gyms being scouted would be much of a concern from an individual standpoint...if someone has been losing against a gym they should be using their battles as a way to learn and improve. There is a line though on straight-up counter-teaming someone...but if a challenger resorts to using other people's videos to scout (that's without any guarantees that the gym leader would use the same team) then they're probably missing the purpose of the league, which I feel is to challenge yourself and have fun.

I would suggest taking a look at how much freedom is given to challengers, I kinda feel that allowing us to change movesets might be a little too much freedom in some cases. This also ties into the singles-doubles separation, and I agree with Krystia on that point. It's true that challengers should learn to build their teams to play well in singles and doubles but unfortunately not every Pokemon can work in both. Either people are forced to use Pokemon that do well in both formats (thus limiting their options and everyone just runs more or less the same team) or they run with a team that might be ill-suited in one case or another.

I had that dilemma when I was thinking of a team to submit: while I wanted to use the mono-Psychic team that I've been familiar with in Singles I knew I might struggle a bit more on a Doubles match, but time will tell how well it can adapt to Doubles. There might be better insights gained on these topics as the beta goes on, but I think that those things should be on notice.

^ Lots of good points in there.

On team scouting through replays - I really don't think it's a problem. Sports teams and competitive pokemon trainers alike watch replays of their opponents matches and learn their playstyles, strengths, and weaknesses all the time. Learning is a pretty legitimate way to overcome an opponent imo. Especially if you're talented enough to pick out the crux of what they do, and find a way to overcome it on your own. Plus - keep in mind you can't change your team without losing all progress against the league, which means even if you counterpicked for one leader - you'll still have to use those same counter-picks against every other leader hahah. I think we have a fairly balanced system right now, pending how the rest of this goes. ^^

On singles - doubles team woes - hmmm. I think the freedom that you say is too much sharkshocker, is the balance to having one team instead of two. Because really, any pokemon has its playstyle in either singles or doubles; and being able to switch between them keeps the point of the challenger on making the best team, rather than making a good team to go against the types of leaders that play singles, and making another team to do well against the types of leaders that do doubles. Because again, Challengers get to pick from anything that's not banned, for a full team, which they design to work with one another to cover a wide variety of type matchups and situations. Leaders can't do that - regardless of singles or doubles, because they only get pokemon within 2 typings. But; while I do feel strongly about this - maybe we should take it to a vote. If I'm the only one who's all for one team for challengers, obviously ignore me and just do it the more preferred way lol. This is what Beta's for though :) Testing things like this out. I can say so far in my challenge, I've had no issues with speccing pokemon for either format, since I'm using a full team of pokemon I made for doubles, and have only played singles leaders so far hahah.

And on your team Sharkshocker - psychics are great for doubles :P Some of the best even, I'd say. They have a lot of doubles specific moves; like Ally Switch and Heal Pulse. My honest advice, (in a non condescending way) is if you're worried about doubles matches, just try that format out more. Because your comfortability in that format is gonna make a lot bigger difference than cycling teams or just builds, guaranteed.

Years
    • Seen Aug 23, 2014
    On team scouting through replays - I really don't think it's a problem. Sports teams and competitive pokemon trainers alike watch replays of their opponents matches and learn their playstyles, strengths, and weaknesses all the time. Learning is a pretty legitimate way to overcome an opponent imo. Especially if you're talented enough to pick out the crux of what they do, and find a way to overcome it on your own. Plus - keep in mind you can't change your team without losing all progress against the league, which means even if you counterpicked for one leader - you'll still have to use those same counter-picks against every other leader hahah. I think we have a fairly balanced system right now, pending how the rest of this goes. ^^
    Yeah I agree. I think we're all for people learning but I think Krystia just wants to account for the worst-case scenario should it turn up. Constant vigilance :D

On singles - doubles team woes - hmmm. I think the freedom that you say is too much sharkshocker, is the balance to having one team instead of two. Because really, any pokemon has its playstyle in either singles or doubles; and being able to switch between them keeps the point of the challenger on making the best team, rather than making a good team to go against the types of leaders that play singles, and making another team to do well against the types of leaders that do doubles. Because again, Challengers get to pick from anything that's not banned, for a full team, which they design to work with one another to cover a wide variety of type matchups and situations. Leaders can't do that - regardless of singles or doubles, because they only get pokemon within 2 typings. But; while I do feel strongly about this - maybe we should take it to a vote. If I'm the only one who's all for one team for challengers, obviously ignore me and just do it the more preferred way lol. This is what Beta's for though :) Testing things like this out. I can say so far in my challenge, I've had no issues with speccing pokemon for either format, since I'm using a full team of pokemon I made for doubles, and have only played singles leaders so far hahah.

And on your team Sharkshocker - psychics are great for doubles :P Some of the best even, I'd say. They have a lot of doubles specific moves; like Ally Switch and Heal Pulse. My honest advice, (in a non condescending way) is if you're worried about doubles matches, just try that format out more. Because your comfortability in that format is gonna make a lot bigger difference than cycling teams or just builds, guaranteed.
    Hmm well I guess I can give a personal example: I brought in a Medicham and Gardevoir and they're both allowed to go Mega so I can switch things around, plus Medicham can learn whatever elemental punch can fit the situation...I brought in Bullet Punch/Fire Punch and took out High Jump Kick vs BlueBoi's Ice/Ghost gym. (If that's not allowed please correct me >_<)

I do agree that it's a delicate balance on a big issue: Krystia's suggestions of substitutes may also work but I think it's something that's hard to assess until there's more data from the beta.

Haha I guess my doubles inexperience is showing >_< Yeah I did pick Gardevoir since it has access to nifty doubles moves so I might fare better than I think, no offense taken on the advice btw and it is gratefully accepted :) I have been meaning to learn more about VGC so bring on the doubles gyms! go easy on me :P

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    For the BOLD, I believe you haven't realized it yet. "Both league members and challengers must save all battle videos/Showdown replays and post them here so we can confirm a challenger's victory."
    I'm doing something different. I'm saving all of the battle videos, but due to limited space in the Vs. Recorder (100 battles can be stored, meaning videos would have to be pulled down by various leaders over time but challengers can keep theirs up), I'm not keeping every battle there after some time passes. If a video doesn't get posted by the challenger, I keep tabs and will of course post it myself in that scenario, but I can verify that a posted video is the same as the battle that was just completed just as easily as posting a second copy of the video. No sense in duplicating it only to have to pull down my copy a couple of months later.

If this is a problem, then bring up your concerns. I honestly think the onus is on the challenger to prove the victory for the badge, and the Leader will be honest about losses. It's a quality of a Leader. The Leader of course can post videos that challengers do not post, particularly ones where badges are not won. If there are problems that show up, we can address it with individual situations.

Years
    I sent out Pm's earlier to the other 3 I haven't challenged and they replied with times to work out. They were Ozymandias and Ingosmex. Now to read through the rest... But no reply yet from THE COBRA COMMANDER which I sent out Monday.

And mention of Subs I wouldn't mind being one for the Showdown side of things since there is less activity there (Polar I swear I'll catch up to you.... somehow). I do have some good news and bad news. Bad news is: My grandfather is dieing, after 8 long years of Stage 4 Melanoma, recent cancer taking his kidney and the other failing... they are taking him off Dialysis... and sending him home... So sad times are ahead and will keep people updated on times I'll be gone and such.

On the good news side of things I finally completed the elite four and i have a friend letting me borrow his 3ds to trade over my sisters Mega stones she isn't into competitions and wants to do a different playthough (we use the same DS) but my friend has a lot of friend codes so I'm stocking on Breeding material and figuring what my Friend Safari is (Ghost, crap now its Ironic...) but hopefully I can join more on 3DS stuff that is happening.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    As for the singles/doubles thing, I'm fine with either option really. I don't really feel the need to change anything else at this point though.

Years
    Strange... there's no transparent background like in my album. o.o'
    Anyway ! Thanks !
    I'm really happy to know you appreciate your badge, Ultraviolence. c: I must say I'm pretty proud of it. ^w^

Have you try to save it in png rather than jpg?? If you say it in png the pictures will be transparent. You probably know about it just to remind you. Do your work in png xP

Cakesu

Hyrule's Saviour
    Years
    Have you try to save it in png rather than jpg?? If you say it in png the pictures will be transparent. You probably know about it just to remind you. Do your work in png xP

Indeed I always save my work in png c: but it seems it doesn't work in these forums when you upload big pictures and post them in threads. It works perfectly fine with the smaller version though:
    xD

Oh well ! Thanks for checking anyway. :)

Polar Spectrum

Years
    I have way too much to quote, respond to, and type out to do it right now on my phone - but real quick,

Kitsuki and Lucky - you guys would be great subs imo since you're around very often- if we can get that started today even, that would be great

Sharkshocker - you are allowed to change their moves and stuff up, so that fine. And I would love to get a practice match or two of doubles in with you later if you're available. I'll use a non- league team just to employ some doubles - specific tricks. Probably like, Minun, pelliper, Gardevoir, Medicham, Gallade, maybe ariados or whimsicott Er something. If you want to that is ^^

Lucky#13

Lucky Member
    Years
    Today is a no go, but tomorrow would be fine, just let me know which gym/what typing and I should have something ready and rolling for the weekend.

Years
    Indeed I always save my work in png c: but it seems it doesn't work in these forums when you upload big pictures and post them in threads. It works perfectly fine with the smaller version though:
    xD

Oh well ! Thanks for checking anyway. :)

I just remembered if you want to upload try other websites no Facebook because Facebook reduce the resolution and the png. They will put it back to jpg and it sucks a lot

Years
    Kitsuki and Lucky - you guys would be great subs imo since you're around very often- if we can get that started today even, that would be great

Right well I have to leave for a bit but if I can get some food for thought i can at least think up the basis of my team. Since were only substitutes i think its only fair (till we become gym leaders ourselves) that we take over they typing at least. And have we decided who needs subs?

Polar Spectrum

Years
    Anyone who's been absent with pending challenges for 4 days or more is eligible to be subbed for, and we should keep the typings of any leader and their format when substitutes are used. Ie; if I substituted for BlueBoi- (not that I'd need to since he's very good about being available) since his gym is Ice/Ghost and singles format, myself or any other sub would have to use an ice/ghost team, and play the challenger in singles.

Years
    Anyone who's been absent with pending challenges for 4 days or more is eligible to be subbed for, and we should keep the typings of any leader and their format when substitutes are used. Ie; if I substituted for BlueBoi- (not that I'd need to since he's very good about being available) since his gym is Ice/Ghost and singles format, myself or any other sub would have to use an ice/ghost team, and play the challenger in singles.

The problem with that is hard for 3DS to have a team. It is great for SD but horrible for 3DS unless you hack your pokemon, or Spend well rather a couple of days or weeksto make their team. I am pretty sure no everyone has a full team ready with IV, and EVs etc.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back