• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Project: Communitydex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samson

no, i don't know milk drink
Years
  • Name: Crunchaw
    Class: Strong Jaw Pokemon
    Type: Water/Rock
    PokeDex: Crunchaw uses its massive jaws to carve holes and crevices out of rock. Legend has it that a gargantuan Crunchaw created many of the ocean's deepest trenches.

Description: A parrotfish with a huge jaw/beak and rocky(or coral) protrusions. (evolution of Chompaw)
    Concept/Sprite: Chesu/

vxc4tw.png

I don't think anyone has tried this one yet (and if someone has, my apologies). This more of a mockup to see if the overall design is good than a WIP. I'm trying to make it not look like Relicanth or Basculin, but also trying to make it look good.

very interesting design and awesome color layout.

i would look into giving its eyes less detail (dumb fish eyes) or a lot more detail (a lot of parrotfish have chameleon-like eyes that protrude behind a round eyelid).

also, the top fin design should be incorporated into the rear fin. as opposed to that fish-like fin, i'd look into adding a bit more solidity to it to give it that rock type appeal.

your sprites are so clean, i love it!

TheMysteryEgg

Pokemon Breeder and Fuzer
    Years
  • Name: TBC
    Etymology: TBC
    Species: Similar to the Eevee line however based on a mouse/rodent
    Class: Evolution Rodent.?
    Type/s: Normal
    Pokédex Entry: TBC
    Ability/ies: TBC
    Description: Mouse Pokemon simliar to 'Rattata'
    Concept: Rodent based pokemon that may evolve naturally wtihin the same type or by using various Stones

I personally don't have any experience spriting but I thought i'd set you guys the challenge (=

Why don't I fix this up for you:
    Name:???
    Species:Similar to the Eevee line however based on a mouse/rodent.
    Class: The Rodent Pokemon
    Type/s: Normal
    Pokedex Entry: It usually gnaws on tough steel and rock because it has teeth strong enough to bend pure metal.
    Abilities: Intimidate
    Description: Mouse pokemon similar to "Rattata"
    Concept: Rodent based pokemon that may evolve naturally within the same tupe or by using various stones.

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
  • Now i know this is kind of a stupid looking sprite but it might inspire others to do better.
    Who knows, maybe it's good enough.

Name: Lichi
    Class: Symbiosis Pokemon
    Type: Rock/Grass
    PokeDex: Lichi's body is composed of mineral, fungal and photosynthetic material.
    Biologists are currently studying it to determine whether or not it's a single organism.

Description: A rock Pokemon with a bit of lichen on it. Both the rock and lichen portions have faces.
    9ca8c5890ccf8f278dc8c5e744ffcff0c38deee025b6fcdc7bf782b27a2055dc4g.jpg

Actually, looking at this did inspire me a bit to contribute to the community dex. :) Anyway, here's my version.

Chesu

Boss Carrot
    Years
  • It's kind of hard to identify the faces... One of the features that differentiate Pokemon from random RPG monsters is very clear, memorable faces.

Cyberglass

the stuff Porygon are made of
    Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2022
    Interesting concept, Chesu. I think I'll give it a try.
    Lichone1.png
    I haven't shaded it yet, but does this look more like a Pokemon?

Edit: shaded.
    Lichone2.png

Last edited:
    Years
  • Interesting concept, Chesu. I think I'll give it a try.
    Lichone1.png
    I haven't shaded it yet, but does this look more like a Pokemon?

Edit: shaded.
    Lichone2.png
    I know Chesu says that pokemon need distinctive faces for them to look "pokemon" - and it's true - I think they also need distinctive features. Pikachu isn't just a yellow mouse, but a yellow mouse with a lightning bolt tail. Koffing is a purple ball, but it has a skull-like design on its front. You have a mossy rock with two faces, but there isn't much more you can say to describe it. It doesn't have any other features. Maybe I'm off base, but I think that if you could add something like that you'd have a pretty good design. The two arm/leg things are kind of what I mean, but for some reason they don't feel like they quite do it.

Chesu

Boss Carrot
    Years
  • LICHENie rock! :pirate:

It feels a lot more like a Pokemon than the previous two designs (sorry guys!), but Scarf is right, it lacks that "something". Actually, it looks a lot like something I would design... and in fact is fairly similar to the rough version of its evolution I plotted out, way before Communitydex was started.

2wbth7m.png

I, uh... Yeah, I basically just did the very first bit of designing it, and never went past that. I probably would have made it rocky rather than smooth, made the lichen more patchy... probably made the arms more interesting, maybe crumbling or held to the body with lichen.

Back to Lichi, one thing that you should do it add more dithering to the lichen, to give it some texture. You could also experiment with adding some yellow or brown speckles or patches to it, as lichen often looks that way. As for the interesting detail Scarf mentioned... Well, I don't really know. I do agree that it could do with a 'defining characteristic' sort of thing, though.

edit: Actually, I have a suggestion. How about an area of rock uncovered above the lichen's eyes, forming some kind of hat or something? Or making it look like the lichen has a hairstyle? Hrm, on second thought, that's kind of a stupid idea...

Last edited:

Cyberglass

the stuff Porygon are made of
    Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2022
    LICHENie rock! :pirate:

It feels a lot more like a Pokemon than the previous two designs (sorry guys!), but Scarf is right, it lacks that "something". Actually, it looks a lot like something I would design... and in fact is fairly similar to the rough version of its evolution I plotted out, way before Communitydex was started.

2wbth7m.png

I, uh... Yeah, I basically just did the very first bit of designing it, and never went past that. I probably would have made it rocky rather than smooth, made the lichen more patchy... probably made the arms more interesting, maybe crumbling or held to the body with lichen.

Back to Lichi, one thing that you should do it add more dithering to the lichen, to give it some texture. You could also experiment with adding some yellow or brown speckles or patches to it, as lichen often looks that way. As for the interesting detail Scarf mentioned... Well, I don't really know. I do agree that it could do with a 'defining characteristic' sort of thing, though.

edit: Actually, I have a suggestion. How about an area of rock uncovered above the lichen's eyes, forming some kind of hat or something? Or making it look like the lichen has a hairstyle? Hrm, on second thought, that's kind of a stupid idea...

Hmm, I'd forgotten it was supposed to evolve. I couldn't think of how to directly improve the design anyway, and your suggestions gave me an idea, so I came up with a new and improved Lichi that looks more like a pre-evolution:
    Lichi1.png

Yes, it is wearing the lichen as a hat. I added the mushroom tassel to hint at its evolution's design.

Chesu

Boss Carrot
    Years
  • I dunno, it looks a little too much like other Goomba-shaped Pokemon. Shroomish, Bonsly, Seedot, etc; it's not a bad design, per se, but the other was more original. I do like the lichen more, even with the insane facial expression. Of course, you could always revise the old design and make a three-stage evolution line out of it, if you wanted.

Humm96

Fly little Mockingjay!
    Years
  • Name: Lounaul
    Etymology: Lone corruption and Lunar corruption
    Type/s: Ghost/Dark
    Pokedex Entry: It is wandering through the night sky flying with huge speed swiftly on its weird crest that is said to be a piece of the moon. There are many folk tales which say it is a ghost of a poor,lonely man wandering around the world.
    Description: It looks like a long beard flying on a crest resembling a lunar one.
    It's light blue and has yellow,"evil" eyes.
    Ability/ies: Inner Focus/Own Tempo
    Concept: xoax

moonie.png
    Needs a lot of work but eh its a simple design :)

Years
    • Seen Mar 23, 2014
    iaza18526175189400.gif

Name : Steliz
    Etymology : Steel and Lizard
    Type/s : Fire/Steel
    Pokedex Entry : Steliz loves to chase bug pokemon and soully concentrates on that. Due to its clumsiness it usually bangs trees and attracts other pokemon living on that tree.
    Description : Its a lizard pokemon having armour on its head and legs.
    Ability/ies : Rock Head/Sturdy
    Concept : Me
    Sprited by : Me

WoW!! My first gud fakemon if i say so myself!!!

Years
  • Guys, ignore the posts that post new ideas. Just ignore them.

I'm going to scrap all of the ideas without proposed ideas from the first post. For now, if you post an idea without a sprite, it won't be put on the first post.
    Anyway, quoted = accepted. Not quoted = not accepted.

the bubbles Pistol Shrimp shoot momentarily hit the temperature of the sun, that's the part I plan to run with in the design, as well as a lone-ranger style Shrimp.

Shrimp's 1st stage

iaza19739414841600.gif

Shreso (Peso/pedro and shrimp)

Water

Abilities-Technician/Sniper, DW-Adaptability

Preso shoot high powered bubbles with excellent accuracy, usually found living in coral communities. It chooses not to live with others of it's species, and instead protects it's home from Pokemon that would do it harm. Whith 2 claws capable of shooting bubbles, the right claw is more powerful, but less accurate, the left claw has a sight, but trades power for accuracy.

The Bandana is actually part of it's 1st segment, in evolution, it will become a poncho, and the evolution will be based on Poncho Vila!

Evolves into

iaza19739418513900.gif

Shriperado

Water/Fire

Abilities-Flash Fire/Sniper, DW-Adaptability

These ruthless pokemon shoot super-heated bubbles at weak or wounded pokemon for their own amusement, usually never with their own kind, they will occasionally team up with Gouybe's to attack coral communities. It adjusts the power of it's shots by widening it's pinsers before firering. It can also hold it's shot in to cause a massive explosion. The only pokemon brave enough to face this pokemon is Shreso.

kex8k8.jpg

Name: Visneak
    Type: Poison

21ovkhv.jpg

Name: Visneak
    Type: Poison

Name: Crunchaw
    Class: Strong Jaw Pokemon
    Type: Water/Rock
    PokeDex: Crunchaw uses its massive jaws to carve holes and crevices out of rock. Legend has it that a gargantuan Crunchaw created many of the ocean's deepest trenches.

Description: A parrotfish with a huge jaw/beak and rocky(or coral) protrusions. (evolution of Chompaw)

vxc4tw.png

Ideas:

Spoiler:

Humm96

Fly little Mockingjay!
    Years
  • Name: Umbra
    Class: Prankster Pokemon
    Type: Dark/Ghost
    PokeDex: Umbra likes to frighten people and Pokemon by suddenly opening its cap. It
    has been known to pose as a real umbrella before flying away, stranding people in the rain.
    Description: A karakasa, Pokemon-style.
    karakaae.png
    i think someone could work on this and make it better?

TheMysteryEgg

Pokemon Breeder and Fuzer
    Years
  • Also, @SphericalIce, I think Permask has been already made. I think it is a few pages back.

I got a draft of Squiddle:

picture.php

Please give feedback so I can make it better!

Last edited:
    Years
  • Also, @SphericalIce, I think Permask has been already made. I think it is a few pages back.

I got a draft of Squiddle:

picture.php

Please give feedback so I can make it better!
    As far as I know there wasn't a decision on who's version of Permask to use.

Nope, there's definitely no image showing there. Try uploading it to an image hosting website, such as Tinypi, Photobucket, Imgur, etc.

PiaCRT

Orange Dev
    Years
  • Umm, how about a suggestion? This is my Pokemon, and it's in GSC style, if someone wants to revamp it/repose it it's fine with me.

It's based off a Manakin Bird.
    MakamaniGSC.png

It's name is Makimani.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back