• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Pros and Cons Discussion Thread

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I don't like the fact that all the Gen I-IV Pokemon aren't obtainable until the National Dex. If Gen I-IV Pokemon had appeared with Gen V Pokemon, then we'd be running into Zubat and Koromori in caves.

I also didn't like the designs of some of the Gen V Pokemon (such as Koromori, Otamaru, Darumakka, Hihidaruma, the Zuruggu line, the Yabakuron line, Gochirezu and Mamanbou).

Devil Flamingo

→ Loves Defense
    Years
    I dislike the fact that there is no Grass GL or E4, especially when there's every reason for there to be one given all them grassers. XD I also hate the fact that Gamageroge (Water/Ground bullfrog) got the short end of the stick stats-wise. Sure, they add up to 500 (well, 499 to be exact) but it's so balanced it won't do much good. Unlike Whiscash and Gastrodon, he's a stage two fully-evolved Pokemon, so why not better stats? The way he is now, he's just another Politoed, except with a Ground typing, secondary stab, and possibly a better ability (no idea what Poison Skin does yet, though). So I am disappoint. Other than that... well, a lot of Pokemon don't appeal to me, but that's nothing new, right? In every gen, there's only handful that I like enough to use; I'm picky. And of course, I hate the fact that that idiot Belle is our champion; worst champion choice ever as far as I'm concerned, seriously.

ATTN: Has anyone confirmed if the Pokemon follow you around or not (like in HG/SS)?

Devil Flamingo

→ Loves Defense
    Years
    The Best of B/W?

Okay, so we have a thread for the downsides of the games... how about one for what's GOOD about it? I can't seem to find a topic like this, even though I'd have thought it'd have been made already?

Anyways, here are my thoughts on it:

· The graphics and gameplay look really good on video, which means on the actual DS/DSi they must be quite something. I'm all about the visuals so when a game looks this neat, it's all the more appealing to me.

· I simply love the fact that there's seasons in it. It seems so silly or whatever, but seriously, I love it. And each one lasts one month, which makes me lol, because it'd actually be funny if it worked like that irl. In the game though it'd be boring to wait every 3 months for it, especially during the season you dislike the most (say you hate winter; you'd be stuck with it for 3 long months of gameplay).

· The region itself is incredible, I think. I love the design and the geography thus far, and I can't see myself NOT loving it once I get my copy of Black next week. I couldn't care less about the fact that it's inspired by NYC, really, I just really think it's very well designed.

· A lot of the Pokemon, albeit ugly, seem realistic to me. For example, the electric lampreys. In real life, you don't want to go anywhere near a lamprey; they're creepy and disgusting just like leeches. So I love the fact that they didn't go for the "cute wee pkmn" thing, and many Pokemon (the centipede, the lamprey, the jellyfish, etc.) look like they ought to.

· There's been a lot of effort made to make many of the Pokemon usable. I mean, even with things like Pendora (bug poison centipede) and Hahakurimo (leafy insect), they are quite usable compared to many bugs found early in the previous games, and sure, they won't be taking over the OU metagame by storm any time soon, but at least they can do SOMETHING, which is more than I can say for the utter failure that is Kricketune (stats-wise, not design-wise).

· I really think the games have managed to appeal to all sorts of Pokemon players this time around. I mean, there's people who like elegant designs (like me, so Jalord and Mebukijika are perfect imo) and there's also many abstract designs (especially amongst the Ghosts and Psychics) for those with more... abstract tastes, I guess you could say, and then for those that like scary powerhouses there's quite a few designs for them too. In other words, I don't feel as if we have "too much" of anything; there's enough "cute" Pokemon, just about enough "badass" ones and "abstract" ones, and so on and so forth.

· I love the fact that there's a new champ the second time around! He's hot as hell (and his taste in Pokemon is great! Three epic bugs!) and looks quite capable. And of course, I cannot rave enough about the fact that CYNTHIA and LOOKER are both in the games! Platinum was pretty much one of the best Pokemon games of all times, and at least a quarter of its success (IN MY NOT AT ALL HUMBLE OPINION, HURR DURR) had to do with the fact that there's a smexy badass detective following you around with pretty much the coolest codename ever, so this alone makes me want to give Black and White a +1.

...I will post more when I get the game and/or as I learn more about it and/or as I think more about this.

Last edited:

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    I dislike the fact that there is no Grass GL or E4, especially when there's every reason for there to be one given all them grassers. XD I also hate the fact that Gamageroge (Water/Ground bullfrog) got the short end of the stick stats-wise. Sure, they add up to 500 (well, 499 to be exact) but it's so balanced it won't do much good. Unlike Whiscash and Gastrodon, he's a stage two fully-evolved Pokemon, so why not better stats? The way he is now, he's just another Politoed, except with a Ground typing, secondary stab, and possibly a better ability (no idea what Poison Skin does yet, though). So I am disappoint. Other than that... well, a lot of Pokemon don't appeal to me, but that's nothing new, right? In every gen, there's only handful that I like enough to use; I'm picky.[S-HIGHLIGHT] And of course, I hate the fact that that idiot Belle is our champion; worst champion choice ever as far as I'm concerned, seriously.[/S-HIGHLIGHT]

ATTN: Has anyone confirmed if the Pokemon follow you around or not (like in HG/SS)?

Aaaagh...Spoiler tags please... *cries* I guess it's to be expected as I roam around in the BW section so much, but that was one of the things I was intent on not spoiling... :( All these starter evo leaks were bad enough...

On the plus side, at least girls are getting their spotlight regarding the Champion title! :)

And I'm wondering about the return of the Follow-Me Feature as well...

negative

Life returns. Life prevails.
    Years
    I agree with you. I love that Nintendo/Gamefreak took some risks and brought Pokemon to the next level. The designs are totally new and the gameplay is new. The idea of seasons is awesome, new and fresh, although you made a mistake( every season is only a month, NOT three months). I personally like the changes, and that not every bug type evolves into a butterfly. So, I'm very excited about Black and White.

Devil Flamingo

→ Loves Defense
    Years
    Oh, sorry! XD I figured everyone knew by now, even the people who didn't want to be spoiled, just because it's been quite surprising for a lot of folks (including myself, though I'm more disappointed than surprised). And yeah, I will be quite disappoint if them Pokemanz don't follow me around this time... :C

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    Oh, sorry! XD I figured everyone knew by now, even the people who didn't want to be spoiled, just because it's been quite surprising for a lot of folks (including myself, though I'm more disappointed than surprised). And yeah, I will be quite disappoint if them Pokemanz don't follow me around this time... :C

It's OK... I was just trying to make it a definitive Pokemon experience as much as I could (like when someone with no prior knowledge of the Pokemon plays a Pokemon game/enters a region for the first time), while sampling the starters and Zoroark. I've refrained from looking at the revealed Pokedex... But I feel it'll be a surprise for newbies to Pokemon, just like when most of us faced off against Champion GARY MF-ing OAK in RBGY/FRLG (in my case, FireRed)! That feeling is something to be relished...

On-topic, I really hope I don't have any more dislikes for the games; I already have 11... :(

Dragonika

Isshu Region Champion
    Years
    Well, what can i say.

Overall 100 out of 10 the isshu map alone is of the scale ! what could they possibly do next hurricanes and tsunamis ? ha ha well overall the new Pokemon are epic there are a few which are a bit strange but hey every game has its tweaks ! I cant wait for my copy of Pokemon Black :D

Years
    Im glad we have this thread now, instead of the complaint-fest one.

The games are amazing. Any person with a brain in their skull can see that. Gamefreak said they were taking things to a new level, and they brought the house down with B&W. Graphics, storyline, plot, the actual Pokemon, everything. They will be considered the best games ever, after we get settled into them. Just a matter of time.

Last edited:

Nugg

Le Diable Blanc
    Years
    The idea of the seasons is awesome. The pokemon moving during battle are awesome. The battle music is awesome. The speech bubbles are awesome. c:
    Check out my screenies in the Screenie thread C:

Shinjiro

Secret Request Helper.
    Years
    Its not the game that I don't like (I love BW and the Gameplay). Its the most Pokemon that I don't like. Though there's only a certain Pokemon I like. But many I don't like. I mean look at these!
    Pros and Cons Discussion Thread

For god sake! I would prefer those guys on Deviant Art to make the Pokemon than those freaks! I have a bunch of talented watcher/friends there which they're more talented and smarter to make a Pokemon (Fakemon).

Years
    Here are some Particular likes:

1. Stealth Rock isnt a TM. :D

2. Rotom's Type changes to match it's forme move. :D

3. Cynthia is in the game! And she has a powerful team.

4. The offensive-oriented Pokemon. Ononokusu. :D

5. Pretty much everything else. ;D

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023

1. Stealth Rock isnt a TM. :D

We don't know that. They haven't disclosed the entire TM list yet. It may have been moved to a different spot for all we know seeing as no Pokemon learns it naturally.

For me...hmm. I like everything about Black and White cept what I posted in the Do not like thread XD

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    1. Seasons
    2. CYNTHIA <3
    3. Boat load of new Pokemon
    4. E4 typings are fantastic
    5. Character designs are really great this time around, from the main characters to the Players mother, to the gym leaders. They're all really well designed if you ask me.
    6. I'm slowly falling in love with this Region.

Devil Flamingo

→ Loves Defense
    Years
    We don't know that. They haven't disclosed the entire TM list yet. It may have been moved to a different spot for all we know seeing as no Pokemon learns it naturally.

You're right, but most of it has been revealed (and most are in the right places), and I'm really hoping Stealth Rock is not coming back as a TM, considering that now TMs don't disappear after usage, and in DPP everyone and their grandma could learn the stupid move. As far as I'm concerned Stealth Rock should just cease to exist; give it to a handful Pokemon via breeding or leveling up and forget about the rest.

Soari

Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Aug 26, 2015
    1. I personally think that the graphics and the animations of this game are better visually.
    2. The battle system such as Triple battle is EPIC. <3
    3. I love the music in this game. :3
    4. I like the design of the two protagonists. As for the pokemon designs, some of them are actually pretty horrible ): but hey that's just my opinion.
    5. The Isshu region looks really interesting geographically <3 so, yeah, it'd fun to explore this new region.
    6. There are a lot of adorable Pokemon, but many of them seem quite similar to past Pokemon. =\

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
    Years
    This is not a topic to hate on the new Pokemon, this is a topic to discuss what features in the game you dislike, not a "I hate Pokemon X because it looks stupid" thread, In other words, this is about the game in general, not what individual Pokemon you hate simply because of what it looks like.....

Hamilton

*Creative Quote Goes Here*
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2016
    the design of the game :) i'm in the starting town right now and i don't want to leave :D
    it's just so peaceful... i guess the
    MUSIC helps
    i'm a music nut. i love everything and anything about music
    when i hear songs like the starting town i just want to close my eyes and drift off :)
    oh yeah, the pokemon are good too
    EDIT
    another thing i love?
    the jazzy feel to the game when the sun starts to go down. is it just me?

Last edited:
    Back