• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Pros and Cons Discussion Thread

jcsimpson

Sing into my mouth
    Years
    The VS. Seeker as it's a hell of a lot harder to train without that thing and Gym rematches, but having said all them they're features that could be introduced in the 3rd game.

The VS. Seeker would be awesome as I'm still trying to level up my team in SS for the Johto E4 and it's taking forever. I would like to see the secret base come back but not only underground like in Diamond and Pearl but more like the secret base in Emerald. I'd also like the be able to customize the main character and the rival, give them long or short hair, give them the clothes you want etc..

tkallab

Should have been in Dissidia
    Years
    I kind of hoped that the levels would rise a bit more slowly, especially after the league. It doesn't add to the difficulty factor, it just makes grinding a lot more annoying.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    After a bit of thinking, merged with Pros and Cons since this is related to what should have happened/been preferred. :)

Years
    Pros: New story I guess

Cons: Apparently the game ends very quickly, this annoys me since I will most likely have to wait till the 3rd instalment before a extra back story is added.​

ShinySephiroth

Event Collector
    Years
    I thought the game was pretty good. A bit more difficult than the other games up to this point have been. Reminded me of how challenging the Elite 4 of FR/LG/B/R/Y were. ^_^ Although it still wasn't TOO difficult. Was able to beat the game with hardly ever switching out my Snivy. I still need to fight
    ~SPOILER~
    Cynthia
    ~END SPOILER~
    That should be a good battle! :D

pokemonmasteraaron

The blind Pokémon Master!
    Years
    thats kinda funny, because I just talked to some one who thought there were to miney features in the game and gamefreak had put to mutch in it. Hmmm I don't really care about new features, the only thing that matters to me is good gameplay witch it does have

anthonyrossbach

CEO SBIH Inc.
    Years
    What do you think of the changes?

After trying the japanese versions of Pokemon Black and White I have a feeling they have killed the Pokemon series. Nothing is like the other generations and the game is just not wat Pokemon is about. For the few people who watched the first movie and was there when Red and Blue and even Green came out you know that Pokemon Black and White is a turn in a direction to games like Yo-ug-oh and Digimon where the styles of new Pokemon even resembles the creatures and monsters in yo-ug-oh and digimon. I never liked Yo-ug-oh and Digimon and that may be why Pokemon is more popular and one of the most popular franchises in the world. So here is my complaint list of Black and White.

1. The world.
    In every generation up to Diamond and Pearl have had all green towns and city's except for the GC coliseum games. Now in Dismond and Pearl they went to the darker city's but they added wind mills and generators. Now in Black and White you see huge city's with sky scrapers and a city resembling New York with dark allies.

2. The Pokemon
    Is it just me or do some of the Pokemon look like Yo-ug-oh dragons, caskets, and knights. Infact some of there colors are even the same but that is not all I saw 2 that look like sesame street caracters with black belts. Look at there faces and you will see. It does not look like Pokemon was based off of animals at all but rarer other games and kids tv shows.

3. Names
    What is with the English names of some of the Pokemon. They are easier to say in Japanese and make more sense to, I think they should be the other way for some of them.

4. No old generations
    What is with the games where you don't see older generations until you beat the game. This diminished my interest in the games and made it boring real quick when you saw nothing you knew the name of.

5. Stat and move changes
    Some of the older games moves and Pokemon stats have been changed, yes only one or two but this to me is just not right.

I stuck around when Diamond Pearl and Platinum came out but this is diminishing my faith Pokemon. But when it comes out march 6th here I will give it s good play to see what I think of the changes and text in english for a solid review.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
    After trying the japanese versions of Pokemon Black and White I have a feeling they have killed the Pokemon series. Nothing is like the other generations and the game is just not wat Pokemon is about. For the few people who watched the first movie and was there when Red and Blue and even Green came out you know that Pokemon Black and White is a turn in a direction to games like Yo-ug-oh and Digimon where the styles of new Pokemon even resembles the creatures and monsters in yo-ug-oh and digimon. I never liked Yo-ug-oh and Digimon and that may be why Pokemon is more popular and one of the most popular franchises in the world. So here is my complaint list of Black and White.

1. The world.
    In every generation up to Diamond and Pearl have had all green towns and city's except for the GC coliseum games. Now in Dismond and Pearl they went to the darker city's but they added wind mills and generators. Now in Black and White you see huge city's with sky scrapers and a city resembling New York with dark allies.

2. The Pokemon
    Is it just me or do some of the Pokemon look like Yo-ug-oh dragons, caskets, and knights. Infact some of there colors are even the same but that is not all I saw 2 that look like sesame street caracters with black belts. Look at there faces and you will see. It does not look like Pokemon was based off of animals at all but rarer other games and kids tv shows.

3. Names
    What is with the English names of some of the Pokemon. They are easier to say in Japanese and make more sense to, I think they should be the other way for some of them.

4. No old generations
    What is with the games where you don't see older generations until you beat the game. This diminished my interest in the games and made it boring real quick when you saw nothing you knew the name of.

5. Stat and move changes
    Some of the older games moves and Pokemon stats have been changed, yes only one or two but this to me is just not right.

I stuck around when Diamond Pearl and Platinum came out but this is diminishing my faith Pokemon. But when it comes out march 6th here I will give it s good play to see what I think of the changes and text in english for a solid review.

First of; It's Yu-Gi-Oh.

Secondly, what exactly are Pokemon supposed to look like hmm? I'm get sick of haters using this as their excuse u.u

So what if a few stat and move changes have been made; nothing major deal with it.

They wanted to give of a fresh start like they did in Kanto; thats why the routes have been reset to 1,2 etc... Also you think if Kanto came out in 3D that Saffron and Celadon city won't look like Castella?

Your seriously complaining about that every town isn't all smiles and rainbows? -.-

I can't argue with the names.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I greatly welcome B/W's changes, but I hated it when I couldn't use the old Pokemon pre-National Dex. The names don't really matter to me as long as they sound good. It's true that some Gen V Pokemon have terrible designs, but that doesn't mean you should hate on the entire generation as a whole.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
    1. The world.
    Saffron, Celadon, Goldenrod, Lilycove, Jublife are just about as big. So I don't see anything wrong with having a metropolis every one in awhile. It is not as though the whole region consists of huge city upon huge city.

2. The Pokemon
    Yes we have heard this many times it looks like Yu-Gi-oh it looks like Digimon and so on and so, and I am sure we will hear it over and over again. No they look like pokemon, what is a prototypical pokemon supposed to look like?

3. Names
    Not everyone can be happy. As long as they remotely symbolize or allude to what the pokemon is then I am fine with it.

4. No old generations
    Why does there need to be an older generation pokemon in the Main Story Line? A lot of this generation is all about new things and that just what the did with pokemon and the routes. Unova is far apart from the other regions so of course there won't be a multitude of other pokemon there.

5. Stat and move changes
    Out of anything I don't really see this an issue what so ever. So there stats change. As long as they are not nerfed or broken then it should all be fine.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    This seems to be a bit of a more pros/cons discussion so I've merged it with this.

Also we have the new Weekly Poll for changes if you want to discuss some of your thoughts there, and even vote. :)

anthonyrossbach

CEO SBIH Inc.
    Years
    I am not a hater of the new games, but watching the first movie and playing Pokemon yellow for a while brings be back and when I compare to the new generation I feel sick to my stomach and fell it's overall a bad game. I am not a compleat hater but as a person who was into it since the first day I find it to big of a change for me. The message I made was for more the people who still follow in the first generation.

tkallab

Years
    Did anyone mention the con of Selfdestruct and Explosion no longer halving the opponent's defense? Because that's definitely a big big big con.

I've already taken a great liking for the new Pokémon. Now the leaked list of localised names is a bit worse. But I'll like that sonner or later too.

Zeph.

Casual Player, Silly Username
    Years
    I am not a hater of the new games, but watching the first movie and playing Pokemon yellow for a while brings be back and when I compare to the new generation I feel sick to my stomach and fell it's overall a bad game. I am not a compleat hater but as a person who was into it since the first day I find it to big of a change for me. The message I made was for more the people who still follow in the first generation.

I've been playing pokemon since the days of Red and Blue too. Just welcome this fresh approach to the franchise. It's not like they just forgot about any of the previous pokemon, they're still in the game after the E4. And what's this baffe about 'following in the first generation'? Can't you like gen 1 as well as the others at the same time?

Anyway, I love the new approach to these games. I'm really looking forward to using the new pokemon in the new surroundings :D A Buffalo with an affro is an epic win too.

Also, one question: is it true that you don't actually need HMs to progress through the story? Or am I horribly misinformed? ^^'

tkallab

Years
    It's true, Zeph. Only Cut is needed, the rest is completely optional. I'm not sure wether this is good or bad... Of course, it's great that you don't always need to carry a HM slave with you, but it's breaking a massive tradition. Which is of course one of this game's functions, but still...

Back