• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PSN Down, How Do You Feel?

ソラ

Im gonna be the King of the Pirates
Years
  • https://blog.us.playstation.com/201...um=social&utm_campaign=psn_restoration_051011

Patrick Seybold // Sr. Director said:
    I know you all want to know exactly when the services will be restored. At this time, I can't give you an exact date, as it will likely be at least a few more days. We're terribly sorry for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience as we work through this process.

^ everything is said. "as it will likely be at least a few more days".
    What do you guys think?

ソラ

Years
  • Well PSN is coming back FULLY at the end of the month. But Gaming Online will be back sooner. thats what Sony been saying this whole time.

ShinyMeowth

Gone forever
    Years
  • Of course not. Those are security keys that could compromise their customers' security if released.
    Then do not disable features people like and legally use, it will piss them off and they will illegally restore them back, it is common sense. >_<
    I think it won't be up until the end of the month. They've gotta make sure that it actually works so they don't get embarrassed again when it has to go right back down.
    For some reason I have a feeling this will happen anyway, and they will be embarrassed again. Maybe if we wish hard enough for it to happen...

Years
  • Then do not disable features people like and legally use, it will piss them off and they will illegally restore them back, it is common sense. >_<[/SIZE][/S]

FFS. Right. Sony included that feature because they thought it would be something nice to have. However, it proved to work against them, so they took it out. Last time I checked, they can do what the hell they want with their software.

Just remember this, 'it is a privilege, not a right.'

Years
  • Then do not disable features people like and legally use, it will piss them off and they will illegally restore them back, it is common sense. >_<

For some reason I have a feeling this will happen anyway, and they will be embarrassed again. Maybe if we wish hard enough for it to happen...

They have every right to change the operating system they created if they so choose. Users also have the option to opt out of the update.

And I'd certainly hope that doesn't happen again. We don't need people who have nothing to do with Sony other than being customers of them having their financial information stolen. That is a completely uncalled for move on the part of the hackers.

ShinyMeowth

Gone forever
    Years
  • They have every right to change the operating system they created if they so choose. Users also have the option to opt out of the update.

And I'd certainly hope that doesn't happen again. We don't need people who have nothing to do with Sony other than being customers of them having their financial information stolen. That is a completely uncalled for move on the part of the hackers.
    I've said it many times before, and I've gotten no straight answer. Did sony inform them that the feature would be removed by the update?

Again, I am sure this was not a move of retaliation, it was normal illegal behavior. The hackers who did that did it to earn money, not to avenge Geohot. Trying to relate that to Geohot and make him look bad is wrong.

Years
  • I've said it many times before, and I've gotten no straight answer. Did sony inform them that the feature would be removed by the update?

Again, I am sure this was not a move of retaliation, it was normal illegal behavior. The hackers who did that did it to earn money, not to avenge Geohot. Trying to relate that to Geohot and make him look bad is wrong.

Not being a PS3 user and therefore not paying attention to the update, I have no idea. It was probably in the white papers for the update or something along those lines, though.

Apparently it was in retaliation for suing Geohot, but it wasn't actually affiliated with Geohot himself. Hacking the company suing him wouldn't have been a wise legal move on his part if he was involved, anyway.

ShinyMeowth

Gone forever
    Years
  • Not being a PS3 user and therefore not paying attention to the update, I have no idea. It was probably in the white papers for the update or something along those lines, though.

Apparently it was in retaliation for suing Geohot, but it wasn't actually affiliated with Geohot himself. Hacking the company suing him wouldn't have been a wise legal move on his part if he was involved, anyway.
    I am not a PS3 user either, so I cannot tell. If it did inform people, then okay, I accept it. If however it did not, then it is terrible. And there is another factor. I do not know if Sony does this, but Nintendo surely does. Nintendo keeps forcing you to update your wii menu by including it in new game disks, and by not letting them work until you do. This is not written anywhere in the boxes, and it can break functionality added by modchips for example. This is unacceptable, and if Sony does force updates with new games, then removing OtherOS was unacceptable even if they did inform the users.

About the retaliation claims, you have to understand this: Those hackers made a huge profit. If you have the skills to steal 100 million users' information, you obviously have studied to get those skills. Thus, your intentions are malicious. If your intentions are malicious, you are going to abuse the system and get the huge profit anyway, and assuming all those factors are correct, you are not going to miss your chance. They got their chance, and they pulled it off. I doubt they even care about Geohot, they are currently swimming in piles of cash.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    I am not a PS3 user either, so I cannot tell. If it did inform people, then okay, I accept it. If however it did not, then it is terrible. And there is another factor. I do not know if Sony does this, but Nintendo surely does. Nintendo keeps forcing you to update your wii menu by including it in new game disks, and by not letting them work until you do. This is not written anywhere in the boxes, and it can break functionality added by modchips for example. This is unacceptable, and if Sony does force updates with new games, then removing OtherOS was unacceptable even if they did inform the users.
    Companies usually leave information out of their updates. I'm pretty sure Microsoft doesn't go in depth with their firmware updates.

And no, I'm sure they didn't remove a "key feature" of their console, but it's the principle of the matter.

About the retaliation claims, you have to understand this: Those hackers made a huge profit. If you have the skills to steal 100 million users' information, you obviously have studied to get those skills. Thus, your intentions are malicious. If your intentions are malicious, you are going to abuse the system and get the huge profit anyway, and assuming all those factors are correct, you are not going to miss your chance. They got their chance, and they pulled it off. I doubt they even care about Geohot, they are currently swimming in piles of cash.
    If the hackers actually did it for profit, they did a terrible job at it. The credit card information was encrypted and it takes a good…what, 10 minutes to get your information changed? I'll just bet that they're hackers hacking PSN because of Sony's steps against jailbreaking in general on their consoles.

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
    Years
  • PSN IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'M ON IT RIGHT NOW PLAYING <3

over excited. Anyway it isn't up officially yet but there is an update as soon as you turn on your console. Go update and it should work :)

So happy right now

EDIT: Server is currently overloaded with people updating and mine keeps crashing. Will keep everyone informed as I find out more.

Last edited:

ソラ

Years
  • PSN IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'M ON IT RIGHT NOW PLAYING <3

over excited. Anyway it isn't up officially yet but there is an update as soon as you turn on your console. Go update and it should work :)

So happy right now

EDIT: Server is currently overloaded with people updating and mine keeps crashing. Will keep everyone informed as I find out more.
    Thanks for the tip. I wasnt on my facebook, and I didnt know cause thats how i get updated by Sony. But thanks for the tip tho.

Too bad PSN is still down. But on a great, brightside that they gave us an update to change our passwords so as soon as PSN is up we can change it while we sign in. I updated mine as fast as I saw this :3 Means PSN might be up very very soon. (:

< -- One Happy Playstation Customer here (:

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
    Years
  • After doing more looking I have found the official sony news release is finally up and can be found here

The PSN itself should be back up I personally think by tuesday. I think they will wait for people to swap there passwords and such then release the online I am hoping sooner but I think Tuesday is the best bet as tuesday is also the day they normally update the PSN with new titles.

gameplayer56

Loving Latias Forever
    Years
  • After doing more looking I have found the official sony news release is finally up and can be found here

The PSN itself should be back up I personally think by tuesday. I think they will wait for people to swap there passwords and such then release the online I am hoping sooner but I think Tuesday is the best bet as tuesday is also the day they normally update the PSN with new titles.
    If it does come back on Tuesday, then I can finally rank up again.

ソラ

Years
  • https://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/05/14/play-on-–-psn-restoration-begins-now/

^ read the update nao. GOGOGO.

Pretty much it says this

Patrick Seybold // Sr. Director said:
    Thank you for your patience and encouragement over the last few weeks. As covered in the post from earlier today, you can now update the firmware on your PS3 and change your password. Kazuo Hirai just announced that we have begun the phased restoration by region of some of the services, starting with online multiplayer functionality.
    Please note that these services will take a bit of time to be turned on and rolled out to the whole country. The process has begun and some states are being turned on now, so please be patient as we reach your city and state. We'll be updating the map below as service comes online in individual states. It will take several hours to restore PSN throughout the entire country, so please keep checking back for the latest updates. In the meantime, now's a great time to get your PS3's firmware updated and change your password, both of which are required to get online.

PSN Down, How Do You Feel?

Notice: If your state is illuminated but your service has not yet been restored, please be patient – it can take a little while for the servers to populate fully.

Also https://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/05/14/kazuo-hirai-playstation-network-relaunch-announcement/ Kazuo Hirai Announces the relaunch too.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Hmm, it must be only for the PS3 users, since I can't update my PsP nor access the PSN Store...

PSN Store isn't online yet, but you can still play multiplayer games and use Qriocity. Sony is fixing the service in pieces.

ahh damn it, didnt edit my post in time. its not up YET but it'll be up soon.

Last edited:
    Back