• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PSP vs DS no flames

Shadow

Original Flavor Darkness
    Years
    LittleFascistPanties16 said:
    Wow a two screens and a touch screen are very original.

But, does it actually serve any real purpose in the gaming world?
    Yup. Very useful. Don't have to pause to see maps and items you have. The screen wont be clogged by status bars, health/ability meters, life counts, or anything. This will be especially useful in RPGs and the like where they need to show a lot of information, but had to squeeze it all in there on normal systems due to lack of room. And yes, I have died because of status things on screen, they can block a lot of vision on some games.

JoWood

貴族のキケロ
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Dec 27, 2012
    Stop this Nintendo has lead for 15 years. I support DS but Microsoft overall. But get your facts straight, Nintendo only dominated over Sega. And when your say they dominated over the handhelds... WHAT HANDHELDS. Nintendo has only made the most popular handhelds. Your talking about N-Gage and Gizmondo or whatever>?

Anyways, Microsoft has obviously decided to keep their surprise secret. They haven't been stupid enough toi reveal it yet. Works of prefection.

Shadow

Original Flavor Darkness
    Years
    JoWood said:
    Stop this Nintendo has lead for 15 years. I support DS but Microsoft overall. But get your facts straight, Nintendo only dominated over Sega. And when your say they dominated over the handhelds... WHAT HANDHELDS. Nintendo has only made the most popular handhelds. Your talking about N-Gage and Gizmondo or whatever>?

Anyways, Microsoft has obviously decided to keep their surprise secret. They haven't been stupid enough toi reveal it yet. Works of prefection.
    Ah yes, I can just imagine an X-Box handheld. The size of a laptop, the weight of 5 X-Boxs (which is about 22 tons), the speed of a moderatly fast turtle, it bakes you cookies which make your smile bright and shiny, and polishes your toenails. Seriously, if Microsoft made a handheld system, it would just be an overweight laptop with too many features, like the X-Box is an overweight computer with too many features.

Kenny_C.002

Welcome to Rokkenjima
    Years
    Well software-wise, Microsoft has a reputation of being screwy (paraphrase from PC mag. Go sue them if you don't agree). Seriously, I don't see how Microsoft is going to out-do Nintendo or the PSP by specs alone (e.g. Xbox versus PS2 or GCN). They needed the good games out there and good supporting franchises that both Nintendo (an abundance) and Sony (less, but there still are several) have. Sure they bought Rare and brought PD and Conker franchises (which the Conker franchise has been known to be less popular than the Banjo-Kazooie franchise, also held by Rare). They'll need teh games to support their specs. Well that and some major revisions on some (IMO) failures of the Xbox, including the controller (and therefore the transferred handheld sizing).

Also, as Shadow pointed out, the Xbox is really just a computer (ppl make them cheap linuxes one way or another), so Microsoft really needs to look at things differently to ensure that they're getting their systems AND games sold, not just the system itself.

And the screen clogged up idea is according to preference. I fine myself needing all of that on the same screen when I play RPG games (and to an extent, shooters...which is rarely ever play). It would definitely be uncomfortable for me to have to head to a second screen just to see the stats and stuff.

JoWood

貴族のキケロ
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Dec 27, 2012
    Like I said, Mircrosoft has not had the stupidity of releasing their next design. If they want to continue with their systems. The company really doesn't need the little extra millions from the gaming industry, its a strong company itself.

Too many features you say? What about the DS, the gaming producers can't even find how they're goin to these thing to good use. Nintendo should've thought of this before.

Kenny_C.002

Welcome to Rokkenjima
    Years
    True. That's why i'm not going to really talk about the accessories on the PSP (as they'll be useless IMO. More accessories = less buyers for some reason). and I think Microsoft learned from Xbox not to have so many practical features (e.g. the hard drive was one of the WORST ideas ever).

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2024
    Pogiforce-14 said:
    If tehy really come out a month early then why do they label them for the folowing month? It seems to me that no matter how early, it shouldn't be out this early in the prior month.:\ It just doesn't make sense that way.

Isent that just the date for the jap release though? Man DS,Gameboy evolution, PSP this is gonna be a hard choice...

Brittany

Back?
    Years
    Kenny_C.002 said:
    True. That's why i'm not going to really talk about the accessories on the PSP (as they'll be useless IMO. More accessories = less buyers for some reason). and I think Microsoft learned from Xbox not to have so many practical features (e.g. the hard drive was one of the WORST ideas ever).
    Hard drive is a bad idea? Guess what the GCN2(or revolution, watever its called) will have a hard drive.

The PSX has a harddrive and so will the PS3.

And all the accesories are optional. They niether contribute, or take away from your gaming experiance

Kenny_C.002

Welcome to Rokkenjima
    Years
    I have to agree that the optional accessories are okay. It's when it's no longer optional (I'm seriously going to like hurt Nintendo for that stunt) when it's the problem.

And I personally am still against the idea of using a hard drive (since our pirating buddies have a much easier time with their work). If that is the case, then it really does come down to who has the best relations with the gaming companies (so the best games go there instead).

John Denver

Banned
    Years
    What we all need to admit is that this whole thing boils down to Games. Nothing but the games...

PSP has a low show of games, whether you admit it or not. DS already has backward compatibility AND it has I think 10 games that are HUGE hits on the GCN...I swear if they make Ocarina of Time on the DS than that thing will be my new best friend.

Kairi

The Original $staff_title
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    Of course if Sony has Square working for the PSP (which they do) that alone can sell countless systems. Like FFVII did. =o Maybe even a port of VII VIII & IX would do well, but Advent Children alone should be a huge selling point. C'mon, admit it Dakota, even _you_wanna see Tifa beat all those guys in that leather. =P

inu-yasha210

she's a blondey!!
    Years
    what fool invented ds? **me jk

psp should win since people turned to playstation stuff, plus game cube was the first to drop pric (meaning nobody liked the cube)

u pogiforce stop saying "tehy or teh" god its annoying

Shadow

Original Flavor Darkness
    Years
    Kairi said:
    Of course if Sony has Square working for the PSP (which they do) that alone can sell countless systems. Like FFVII did. =o Maybe even a port of VII VIII & IX would do well, but Advent Children alone should be a huge selling point. C?mon, admit it Dakota, even _you_wanna see Tifa beat all those guys in that leather. =P

DS has Square working for them too. A Crystal Chronicles game is planned for it right now and backwards compatibility with Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories. >:] I'll go through batteries like no tomorrow if they made a FFVII or IX for DS (or PSP if I ever scrounge up about $500 for it, then about $50 for each game) or another portable Kingdom Hearts game.

Dakota said:
    What we all need to admit is that this whole thing boils down to Games. Nothing but the games...

PSP has a low show of games, whether you admit it or not. DS already has backward compatibility AND it has I think 10 games that are HUGE hits on the GCN...I swear if they make Ocarina of Time on the DS than that thing will be my new best friend.
    If they made Ocraina of Time (or a better new game with a similar style) for DS, the PSP would die in about 5 seconds after launch. XD

Kairi

The Original $staff_title
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    Doesn't the DS have a rechargeable like the SP, or were you kidding? O_o;

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
    Kairi said:
    Doesn't the DS have a rechargeable like the SP, or were you kidding? O_o;
    Here is something from Nintendo.com.

Battery & Power Management: The battery is rechargeable and the unit features a low-energy-consumption design. The DS also has Power Management functions of Sleep mode and Standby mode. In Sleep mode, players can stop and resume game play whenever they like. If the user receives a message from a friend or user nearby, DS activates itself from Standby mode.
    Shadow was joking. XD

John Denver

Banned
    Years
    Kairi said:
    Of course if Sony has Square working for the PSP (which they do) that alone can sell countless systems. Like FFVII did. =o Maybe even a port of VII VIII & IX would do well, but Advent Children alone should be a huge selling point. C?mon, admit it Dakota, even _you_wanna see Tifa beat all those guys in that leather. =P

Advent children is a movie though...people with a DVD player will be able to see it.

Tifa?? LEATHER!?!?

*goes off to the bathroom to excersise*

Shadow

Original Flavor Darkness
    Years
    Dakota said:
    Advent children is a movie though...people with a DVD player will be able to see it.

Tifa?? LEATHER!?!?

*goes off to the bathroom to excersise*
    No no! Bad Dakota! Bad boy! Not on PC!
    *whacks Dakota with a rolled up newspaper*

Yeah it is a DVD so most people will probably buy it in DVD format so it can be played via DVD Player, computer, PS2, and X-Box and not just on the PSP (where the batteries will need recharging soon after seeing it).

John Denver

Banned
    Years
    Shadow said:
    No no! Bad Dakota! Bad boy! Not on PC!
    *whacks Dakota with a rolled up newspaper*

Yeah it is a DVD so most people will probably buy it in DVD format so it can be played via DVD Player, computer, PS2, and X-Box and not just on the PSP (where the batteries will need recharging soon after seeing it).

lol...actually shadow, I don't think the majority of PC's young audience knows what it means to Excersise in the Bathroom...

TIFA?? LEATHER!?!?

*you know it*

Back