• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Quick Questions & Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen May 10, 2017
    have you looked at the level scripts? my personal bet, tbh
    and if the guy also happens to be the same as one of them that appear in your bedroom in amap in vanilla, then it likely is him; he would be a dynamic overworld so that either brendan OR may could be loaded depending on gender. game freak likes to do that a few times with them...

I looked at a few other locations, and yeah, I think the guy is a stand-in for the rival before it loads gender. Still, the same problem arises with not having a script attached to the Laveridge encounter ..... even though in other places it does have one. Could be an A-Map issue, perhaps?

Also, I tried changing the rivals text using a-test and it breaks the game. Rival exits the door and then the game locks up :/

The text shouldn't be that hard to find though in translhextion as i do have a thingy for Emerald. If I edit it via hex editor it should be ok.... I hope. I'll give that a shot tomorrow though!

BluRose

blu rass
    Years
  • I looked at a few other locations, and yeah, I think the guy is a stand-in for the rival before it loads gender. Still, the same problem arises with not having a script attached to the Laveridge encounter ..... even though in other places it does have one. Could be an A-Map issue, perhaps?

Also, I tried changing the rivals text using a-test and it breaks the game. Rival exits the door and then the game locks up :/

The text shouldn't be that hard to find though in translhextion as i do have a thingy for Emerald. If I edit it via hex editor it should be ok.... I hope. I'll give that a shot tomorrow though!
    ok ok hi
    1EA551 is the script you are looking for, it's a level script in lavaridge <3

Squeetz

ROM Hacker
    Years
  • For some reason, every time I try to enter a map that was originally from Navel Rock and I resized, the screen goes blank. All of the other maps that I changed but didn't resize work perfectly fine, it's only the ones that I resized that seem to blank out on me. I noticed this issue on a previous hack when resizing and replacing Lost Cave's maps, so is there something I'm missing when resizing maps?
    Advance map 1.95 tends to move the mapfooter offset to an unaligned offset when resizing, not sure if 1.92 does.
    Check the mapfooter offset and move it to an offset ending in 0, 4, 8 or C if it's at an odd offset. (the map footer is 0x1C bytes iirc)
    And then you just point to where you moved it.
    If this isn't the issue, then I don't know what.

Years
    • Seen Jun 14, 2023
    Is there a way to change the 'caught this many Pokemon and you get this item' events to something like 'seen this many Pokemon and you get this item'. I think it uses some special to get the current number. Fire Red btw

colonelsalt

Guaranteed to raise the smile
    Years
  • Am I being stupid? I can't find the May/Brendan script for Laveridge Town. After you beat the gym, she usually comes out of the door to one of the houses and gives you the go-goggles..... except on Advance Map she isn't there.

It does have a sprite for some guy, but there's no script attached to him at all so it can't be that.

Can somebody point me in the right direction please?
    To expand on BluRose's answer, level scripts are scripts that are tied to each map, and execute once you enter that map if a given variable is set to a certain value. In this case, the Go-Goggles script executes when you enter Lavaridge Town if var 0x4053 is set to 0x1 (which it is right after beating Flannery).

You can find the level scripts tied to a map under "Map script" in the "Header" tab in AdvanceMap. I recommend checking out this thread for more info on them.
    Is there a way to change the 'caught this many Pokemon and you get this item' events to something like 'seen this many Pokemon and you get this item'. I think it uses some special to get the current number. Fire Red btw
    The special you're thinking about is 0xD4, which stores the number of seen Pokémon in var 0x8005.

i.e. you could do something like
    Code:
    #dynamic 0x800000

#org @main
    special 0xD4 // stores seen Pkmn in 0x8005
    compare 0x8005 [VALUE]
    if 0x4 goto @itemGet // if seen Pkmn is greater than or equal to VALUE, get item
    goto @noItem4U // otherwise, no item
    end

Years
    • Seen May 8, 2024

According to JPAN's Study on the Special and Special2 commands, special 0xD4 returns the number of caught to 0x8006 and seen to 0x8005. If you look at the existing scripts, after the relevant special2, it compares 0x8006 to the relevant value (for example, 10 for the HM05 aide). Just change the 0x8006 in that compare to 0x8005.

Years
    • Seen Jun 14, 2023
    To expand on BluRose's answer, level scripts are scripts that are tied to each map, and execute once you enter that map if a given variable is set to a certain value. In this case, the Go-Goggles script executes when you enter Lavaridge Town if var 0x4053 is set to 0x1 (which it is right after beating Flannery).

You can find the level scripts tied to a map under "Map script" in the "Header" tab in AdvanceMap. I recommend checking out this thread for more info on them.

The special you're thinking about is 0xD4, which stores the number of seen Pokémon in var 0x8005.

According to JPAN's Study on the Special and Special2 commands, special 0xD4 returns the number of caught to 0x8006 and seen to 0x8005. If you look at the existing scripts, after the relevant special2, it compares 0x8006 to the relevant value (for example, 10 for the HM05 aide). Just change the 0x8006 in that compare to 0x8005.

Thank you both. In the back of my head I guess I was either thinking that the Professor script used a different special, or thought it had a different process.

Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2016
    Hey there, I am new here and really have no idea about most stuff regarding computer-programs and such. I try to get slowly into the meaning of many things, but my knowledge might be a bit underwhelming compared to the standard beginners here. The things I tried out so far are advance map (so far no problems), NSE and G3HS. With NSE I finally figured out how to change pokemon sprites, but I don't really understand the navigation (I cannot find the pokemon sprites and many things in there look messed up) and if I try editing trainer sprites I get an error (tried to put the file pointer before the file or so, I am german, so I don't know the english error text). With GH3S I found the information that I need the (E) version or have to change some things in the ini of the (U)-Version but I honestly have no Idea what an ini is and how I can edit it. A bit of explanation or a link to a tutorial that explains the basics of the basics would be a really big help.

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2021
    Hey there, I am new here and really have no idea about most stuff regarding computer-programs and such. I try to get slowly into the meaning of many things, but my knowledge might be a bit underwhelming compared to the standard beginners here. The things I tried out so far are advance map (so far no problems), NSE and G3HS. With NSE I finally figured out how to change pokemon sprites, but I don't really understand the navigation (I cannot find the pokemon sprites and many things in there look messed up) and if I try editing trainer sprites I get an error (tried to put the file pointer before the file or so, I am german, so I don't know the english error text). With GH3S I found the information that I need the (E) version or have to change some things in the ini of the (U)-Version but I honestly have no Idea what an ini is and how I can edit it. A bit of explanation or a link to a tutorial that explains the basics of the basics would be a really big help.
    Try using Advanced Series for Pokemon editing it's much easier. As for the trainer editing try following this tutorial: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=285168

Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2016
    Thank you, I will try that out. Are the other tools in the ROM Hacking: Getting Started thread still up to date? I also did already read the thread you linked to before asking here and it did not really help. My problem is that I get an error massage the moment I push Trainer Sprites, I already figured out how to index and with Pokemon Sprites it works out just fine. If I google it internet shows me only a few things regarding zip.files and I don't know what it has to do with my error.

With G3HS, which keeps to be the most interesting tool to me for know, I didn't get any further so far... I searched a lot in the forums and often stumbled about stuff like "you have to change this or that in the ini" but I till don't get what this ini might be. I also finally found a post that suggested opening it with a hex-editor, I stumbled already a few times about words like hex-data, still no idea what it means. Is this some basic-stuff I really should start with? The forums are rather nice and all and I think I can work me through a tutorial, but for that I need to know which totorial XD.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 10, 2017
    Anyone know the unlz locations for the team rocket logo in FRLG and the Aqua logo in Emerald? I know where the Magma logo is (through searching an old thread) but not the other two. You can't really tell where they are by looking, so im a bit clueless.

Thanks.

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2017
    I'd basically like to make the player characters in emerald be the ones from fire red and leaf green, ive made some progress and i think i got the OW sprites down pretty well using nameless sprite editor 1.7.6 or something, but i cant figure out how to import the backsprites into emerald, any help would be appreciated

Years
    • Seen Oct 19, 2023
    Hyia there! When I first started researching Gen 3 rom hacking, people used a program called A-text to edit text. Is that program the current standard still?

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
    Years
  • I'd basically like to make the player characters in emerald be the ones from fire red and leaf green, ive made some progress and i think i got the OW sprites down pretty well using nameless sprite editor 1.7.6 or something, but i cant figure out how to import the backsprites into emerald, any help would be appreciated
    You can probably use a hex editor to copy paste the backsprites of players straight into your own rom file. Someone ought to know the locations of the sprites and could possibly help out with this. Although it requires a hex editor to do, it's pretty simple really. All that would have to be done would be:
    1) Copy pasting the data of the sprites from emerald rom to your rom file, and
    2) Adjusting the pointers to the original backsprites point to the offsets where you paste the sprites from emerald.

Some game-specific tool (unlz? dunno.) can probably accomplish this as well, but it's not hard to do at all if someone shares info about where the sprites are located in emerald and gives a little bit of guidance to the processs while at it.

Sayuri

人生忘れられた
    Years
  • So I just got back into ROM hacking after about 6 months, and I've forgotten some stuff.
    My first problem is that sometimes scripts won't update in-game even after I recompile the ROM and add the new offset into AMap. What's the reason for this? Thanks in advance. :)

Years
  • So I just got back into ROM hacking after about 6 months, and I've forgotten some stuff.
    My first problem is that sometimes scripts won't update in-game even after I recompile the ROM and add the new offset into AMap. What's the reason for this? Thanks in advance. :)

they won't work without going to another area if you are using Saves. try entering a house, & retalking to that sprite/script.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back