• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rate the Video Game Music Above You! (2.0)

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years
    7/10.

I like the mysteriousness of the song, and it does it's job. But, it doesn't pull me in enough to really like the song. Nevertheless, I still enjoyed it.

Ar Tonelico: Melody of Elemia - Fenrir

Years
    7/10. I'm not familiar with the Ar Tonelico series, but the song seems similar to another game I've played...

Final Fantasy X - To Zanarkand. I believe this is a pretty well-known song, but the orchestra live version is so beautiful~
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1JgIg38QBU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1JgIg38QBU[/ame]

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    I think numbers are pretty redundant so instead I'll comment.

I was actually read to hate this since "oh god ANOTHER JRPG music" (Seriously, an abundance in this thread.) but I saw it was orchestra and instantly got into it. I'm a sucker for orchestra, so it was natural for me to love this...yet, it didn't grab me as much as other pieces that I've heard. Now granted I haven't listened to the original music, and while this is good and I was definitely feeling relaxed it felt...safe? For the lack of better words. I mean I already forgot what it sounds like typing this. I know orchestra isn't particularly the best genre for melody or to have it stuck on your head, but for me to forget about it instantly is strange. Now this isn't about the piece itself, which is good, so I'll probably give it another listen or two. Orchestra takes a few listens before it "clicks."

Very happy and energetic :) But sounds like a typical overworld theme to me: 6/10
    Huh? It's really not energetic nor does it sound like a typical overworld beyond the first few seconds. Your description bugs me, did you listen to all of it?

Anywho, here's one that I just started listening to. I love the atmospheric, chilly feeling of this one.
    Spoiler:

PMG

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 3, 2024
    9/10
    These Tropical Freeze songs keep coming up, making want to buy it like right now, but uuuggghh I need more moneeeeeyyyy

Spoiler:

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
    9/10
    These Tropical Freeze songs keep coming up, making want to buy it like right now, but uuuggghh I need more moneeeeeyyyy

10/10!
    Rate the Video Game Music Above You! (2.0)

First you post about my arch enemy Soda Popinski and then you post music from my favorite game as a child! My god this brings back memories. Even though this music isn't from that specific level, all I can think about right now while listening to this is the boss where you are all the Kongs and you have to fire yourself into the cardboard cutouts of King K. Rool xD Overall Donkey Kong 64's soundtrack is absolutely phenomenal.

And for my song....hmmm how about "Battle For The Grand Star" from Super Mario Galaxy? To be perfectly honest, I don't think any song would have been better for the final battle between Bowser and Mario. Epic. That's all you can really say about it. E-p-i-c.

Spoiler:

Reactions: PMG

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Man, if that intro doesn't pump you up for that fight, I'm not sure what will. Great track and perfect for its place in the game. I would say epic, but it's 2014. :P 9/10

Spoiler:

Since we're on the topic of final bosses...

PMG

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 3, 2024
    Not too bad. Feels real intense, but I do feel that it loops a little early, making it feel kind of short 7.5/10

And to continue this final boss run, here's Dancing Mad. And because I'm a total nerd I'm posting the full version.
    Spoiler:

But if you really don't want to listen to the whole thing, here's the final Kefka portion.
    Spoiler:

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    @PMG: I feel like it loops too early too. I really wish there was more.

Anyway...I like how this suits the name perfectly haha. I wish I had more to say, but my adjectives went out of my head for the night apparently. I really do like the feel of this song though, and assuming that's the boss in the picture on the second video, it really goes well with how he looks. Perfectly suits him. 8/10

Spoiler:

Not a final boss, but still really close. Fun to combo to this song, but still pretty hard. I did manage to get a 16 hit combo in it...once. It was great. I knew I could break away from the Jak music eventually btw.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Oh, I like this one. It has this sorta steampunk air to it, which I really dig. I have to say though, the beats are what got me there. Considering the context of the game (combo with the rhythm), this really works well. I actually really like this one. :)

Continuing the more industrial style and I'm sure many of you are CRAVING for Tropical Freeze AGAIN, here's another one. ;)
    Spoiler:

TY

Stop this madness... You almost make me want to get this game with the Wii U altogether just with the soundtrack :P

More RA2 music, since I'm a RTS fan :P
    Spoiler:

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
    9/10

Stop this madness... You almost make me want to get this game with the Wii U altogether just with the soundtrack :P

More RA2 music, since I'm a RTS fan :P
    Spoiler:

I was going to initially just comment that the very beginning of this had a Seinfeld-ring to it, but then the beat kicked it - very groovy, a little dark, almost has a Metroid-ish flair to it if you ask me! 8/10

The Main Theme from Assassin's Creed 3. While it wasn't one of my favorite AC games, it was still a solid edition to the franchise. Personally I like this song because it has a "wild" flair to it. You could picture yourself as Connor running through the trees trying to catch to his target or escaping the Red Coats. Here's the vid to check it out!
    Spoiler:

PMG

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 3, 2024
    9/10
    Probs my favorite Kingdom Hearts boss theme, although I'd have to say that I prefer the Birth By Sleep version more.

The Mario Party series always had some pretty under appreciated gems in their soundtracks, especially in the first one. So here's one of those songs!
    Spoiler:

waveguidebuizel

weirdguybuizel
    Years
    Wow, that's beautiful! Really fitting for a sky-themed board. 9/10! And 3/4-time is always a plus in my book. :) I wish I paid more attention to video game music when I was a kid.

To continue with Mario music I wish I appreciated when I was younger, here's one I rediscovered fairly recently:
    Spoiler:

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
    Wow, that's beautiful! Really fitting for a sky-themed board. 9/10! And 3/4-time is always a plus in my book. :) I wish I paid more attention to video game music when I was a kid.

To continue with Mario music I wish I appreciated when I was younger, here's one I rediscovered fairly recently:
    Spoiler:

Hmm...I don't know why, but for some reason when I listened to this song I felt like it was a more fitting ending for Super Mario Sunshine? The song made me yearning for more for some reason; like the game hadn't really ended or something. Nonetheless, I like it! 7/10

"Lorule Castle" from Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds. By far the best song of the whole game; or better yet, best 5 songs of the game. You get this song in the last dungeon of the game and basically the more you advance in the dungeon, the more complete the song is by the addition of more instruments/voices. I highly recommend you listen to the entire song as it's a compilation of all 5 songs. The more the song progresses, the more the epic adventure is calling you to slay Yugi.

Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    When I played the game, first thing I noticed was how the final dungeon music didn't go for something particularly modern or epic, but went with something more cartoonish and classical. The progression is fantastic in this one, it pumps you up while still retaining this whimsical adventure feel. I love it.

No rule against posting the same game over and over so have MORE Tropical Freeze. What I like about this one is, similarly to the previous post, it plays druing a perfect time where there's no more playing around. You finally reach back to your home, familiar locales and faces are now frozen and ruined because of vikings, so it's time to get serious and win back your island. This is basically the result of what if the composer of Donkey Kong Country 2 worked with the composer of Metroid Prime.
    Spoiler:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    That definitely sounds like what would happen if you mix Donkey Kong music with Metroid Prime music (particularly Prime 1, parts of the track made me think of Magmoor Caverns and Phendrana Drifts). 8.5/10

Too bad this game is for the Wii U...I still have zero interest in getting one.

Moving on, Tales of Symphonia Chronclies came out yesterday (in the US), so you're all gonna listen to a track from that:
    Fatalize
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt9tEl6RMIs[/ame]

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
    Definitely a 10/10. One of my favourite Tales of Tracks of all time. <33

Ah, how about this:

Go Forth! Amazing Nine-Tails - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies

Spoiler:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    8/10.

The only credits music I've ever cared for:
    Spoiler:

Talon

[font=Cambria]Hidden From Mind[/font]
    Years
    7/10, I've never been into credit music. I usually don't like them, but this one was ok.

Live & Learn - Crush 40
    Spoiler:

One of my favorite songs. Ever.

Back