• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Record breaking heat across the globe

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2018
    Large corporations, governments and the wealth who aren't using their ridiculously vast resources in a positive way should be vilified because their greed is the most central factor in obliterating the stable environment the human race needs to survive.

I can agree to this. Those in power have been amazingly impotent in initiating any progress at all, especially with the resources they have. And the reason is literally greed, yes.

But at the same time, I get so sick of this scapegoat mindset of "I'm outside the problem! It's everybody else!"

It's everywhere. I've seen it in real life and online in droves. Everyone should take responsibility if they actually do care about it.

By the way my parents are 70 and retired

I feel you missed the point of why I even asked.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I think the notions of blaming the 'corporations' is tired and petty.

Where do your parents work, by the way? A nice little mom and pop store? Doubt it. Corporations keep this country going.

And you're missing my point. Of course emissions by single people is far smaller than any large group, be it a business or even household, but my biggest point was instead of endlessly complaining, people need to either cut back and practice what they preach or come up with better methods for progress.

These constant scapegoats and vilification on how humanity lives these days is so juvenile and senseless, nor does it accomplish anything.

You have said that people need to do more than complain, but while it might feel like griping, one reason that it is important to keep talking about how we as humans can potentially harm the environment is not to "induce guilt on humanity" as you put it, but simply to raise awareness. People will not make changes to their personal lives, much less seek reforms on a local, national or worldwide level if they don't believe that anything is wrong.

Though you were critical of previous comments, whether you agreed or not what the previous users succeeded in doing at least is bringing you into the conversation at least, which is constructive.

When you first became part of the discussion the notion that climate change could even be man-made in any way you insisted was "nonsense" and "without a leg to stand on." However, now the conversation has shifted from debating the existence of global warming back to the original intent of the topic, what can we personally do to make the world better.

After viewing the data from NASA and continuing to talk with members of the community, are you perhaps reevaluating beliefs you previously believed? Are you still of the opinion that this is sensationalism and that humans play no role whatsoever in climate change? The sense I got from your more recent posts is that you not be so certain any longer, but I will let you answer that for yourself.

I think if you have come away with anything new then it would be a good thing because we should always keep our mind open for new scientific findings on anything that could present themselves at anytime. However, to reiterate I don't see this as fearmongering or scapegoating or arrogant, I see it as the beginning of a conversation, that is how progress starts.

I also want to add that in my state there are corporations that have actively prevented people from moving to solar and wind-based energy. A local church received donations of solar energy equipment so that they no longer had to use fossil fuels to heat and cool their buildings, however the gas giant Duke Energy has a monolopy on the town and sued the church and blocked them from using more effecient equipment so that they could only use Duke! The Republican governor at the time was a former of CEO of this same company and made laws that allowed the fossil fuel industry to do such predatory actions. He even went so far as to allow them to leak toxins into a state river, and helped them cover it up and did not make them pay for the 39,000 tons of coal ash that went our water system.

The same kind of corruption took place on the other side of the country when I was up north, this time however it was a very famous Democratic Senator voted against groundwater measures because her biggest campaign contributors were also from the oil and gas industry, particularly Exxon Mobil. This allowed said company to use the known carcinogen mbte that leaked into the water supplies of millions of Americans.

The reasons I told you these stories is to illustrate why many people feel frustrated and cynical because we have greedy politicians that let industries do what they want, and it does undermine our conservation efforts. This is a very different thing than individual people not taking action. To give you a larger scale example rather than simply regional ones the real reason that we pulled out of the Paris Accord is because it was what the oil industry wanted us to do.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...-senators-paris-climate-deal-energy-donations

The average corporation is trying to make as much money as they can, and there is nothing wrong with making money, but the reality is that they can use their money to influence the kinds of policies that we get, even though yes individually we do what we can by recycling, turning off electronics when we are not using them, not littering, plating a garden, and driving less. I don't think anyone here is saying that we don't have to do anything personally and bear no responsibility, so please I hope that you don't misunderstand. I think we are only dealing with the surface of the problem however if we just look at ourselves and our daily lives. It ignores the pink elephant in the back of the room if we don't identify larger-scale pollutant contributors.

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2018
    To use "corporation" so generally though is an umbrella term badmouthing every single major business, when I'm sure many others aren't directly a cause or may even be trying to alleviate their own impact. They shouldn't all be grouped in so casually; like, "the normal people are fine, but those darn corporations are the issue."

Such a general statement is stupid. And we're essentially biting the hand the feeds us with it too.

And to clear up, climate change IS a thing, but I think it's sensualist propaganda to think it's catastrophe levels or even solely human influence; was my biggest point with that.

Quiji

Shining
    Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2021
    This whole year has been dry and hot where I live in SoCal. Like, we just had about five years of drought from around 2011 to 2015, and just when 2016 gave us some relief, it feels like we're back to drought conditions this year. It hardly snowed in the mountains last winter, it's only rained three times since January, we broke our highest temp record in July, and it's still too warm even in September. It's madness.

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
    Years
  • I guess what bothers me is vilifying humans (which we all are, unless claiming you're not is now the newest trend) and our current way of life, as seen here.

I don't see ShinyUmbreon giving up their internet and current way of life, despite feeling this way. Why not? Practice what you preach, or don't try to rally up notions like this, is what I think. Or expect to be called out for hypocrisy.

Uh... I was mainly talking about the polluted air and what not.. The difference between me and them, is i'm not destroying the planet for a profit but okay.. I'm still sticking with humanity being a cancer of this planet.. WE DON'T BELONG HERE!!

Last edited:

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • if we have to accept climate change simply because "we can't change how big corporations do things because they keep us going and if they stop we're doomed" then................ that's a serious problem

or "the planet has gone through periods of climate change so it's not humanity's fault" = we don't have to do anything to minimize the effect we're having on the planet bc it's gonna happen anyway.......... is a serious problem

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 23
    • She/Her
    • Canada
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    There certainly isn't any sort of heat wave where I reside. It's currently SNOWING in September. Yes, that's right.

I can't believe it either. It's bad even for Western Canada.

Climate change is real ladies and gentleman.

Last edited:

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
    Years
  • Climate change is real ladies and gentleman.

I've been telling this to people for years and they just brushed it aside as another crazy conspiracy theory... If we don't change the way we live and corporations keep doing what they're doing we're doomed as a species faster than expected. Not that we aren't already doomed but the higher the population the worse it's gonna get.

Years
  • There certainly isn't any sort of heat wave where I reside. It's currently SNOWING in September. Yes, that's right.

I can't believe it either. It's bad even for Western Canada.

Climate change is real ladies and gentleman.

I'm in the maritimes myself and the temperatures just changed over night. It's freezing during the nights here now.

FlameChrome

[color=#7fffd4]IDK what to put here[/color]
    Years
  • Its been really warm where I live actually, and im on a tiny like continent, surrounded by water on most sides but still connected to the US. It was actually really cool today

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
  • not sure if this discussion is centric to the northern hemisphere, but it's honestly hot as balls here in Jakarta, and it looks like it'll continue being 33°C for pretty much ever. environmentally it's also quite bad here in regards to the smog, after you notice so much more filth under your fingernails you'll want a face mask for more than just aesthetic reasons

on the subject of climate change: not only are economic and oil-centric changes a complete and utter wank, the solution to it is pretty simple and i think folks from the tropics here know it pretty well: nothing sucks up carbon like an ocean of trees. plant some, and soon enough you'll soak up all that carbon as tech keeps at it's current pace, and voila, crisis averted. hell you'll probably have a surplus of oxygen in spite of all the carbon being produced every year

i understand why it doesn't happen though. planting trees and just leaving them there isn't very economically self-sufficient, and while the government could do it both conservatives and liberals alike have apparently found more important things to do instead of using their immense autocratic authority as a sovereign to repossess large swaths of the midwest for a newfound jungle. it would be nice though, and historically that's what was in the plains anyways before humans inhabited it

Back