• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Releasing Pokemon

Years
  • So I was going around evolving Pokemon I had in my boxes and I have quite a handful of Pokemon that I've received from wonder trade that I will never use and/or have no evolution.

So for a while I've been trading them on WT, all the extra froakies, bunnelbys, basculin that I've gotten and don't need but then it dawned on me -
    that instead of sending Pokemon that most people really aren't looking forward to, why not just release them? So I went and released several Pokemon in my boxes clearing up a lot of room.

I understand how releasing Pokemon work and all but I'm really curious if anyone really uses this option much? And since I've never given it a second thought myself if anyone else has ever considered using it.
    So then why keep the function in the game?
    And is it weird that I feel bad for releasing them? haha just feels like I'm abandoning them and it just brings me back to Gen I anime with charmander and it breaks my heart DX

Shhmew

Years
  • heh aww, well actually I've only released stuff when I was masuda methoding; I kept a box of them to wonder trade and released the rest to avoid clutter. Because I hatched soooooo many boxes. The nice thing to do is definitely to only wonder trade pokemon that people might actually want; I caught like a whole box of Luvdisc to collect heart scales and wonder traded them, and I still feel guilty for that. xD I least I gave them pretty silly names.

εcho.

The silver ninetales
    Years
  • I never really released Pokemon before this generation - I never had any reason to.

This time around though, I've started doing a lot of IV breeding, which results in a ton of Pokemon just sitting around clogging up my boxes. Most of the time, I end up releasing the ones that have less than 3 perfect IVs and then WTing the 3-5 other ones. I keep anything cool I get from WT and then release the level 2-3 Bunnelby's and such that I receive.

When I first started releasing I felt a little bad... I guess I've gotten used to it now though. :P All in all I think it's a good function to have for anyone who does a lot of breeding and has lots of Pokemon they don't really need.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
    Years
  • As a breeder, I get a loooot of unwanted hatched Pokemon because they're not to my liking. First I send them over to WT to people who might want them, why waste the time I used, you know? And in exchange, I get the Pokemon people give me through wonder trade. Depending on the Pokemon, shiny or not, levels and whatnot I either keep them or release them.
    I also have that feeling like if I release a Pokemon, I'm abandoning them, and it's kinda hard to see little cute Pokemon getting released into the wild :(

LividZephyr

Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks
    Years
  • I've released more in Gen 6 than in the first five combined. That's because of IV breeding being easier and thus more accessible, as well as Wonder Trade. I hate it when I get some crap like Bidoof or Caterpie from Wonder Trade so I just get rid of it, as opposed to Wonder Trading it again. I don't want to be mean.

I've released a few rejects of a Pokemon I had to breed a lot of, but I did abuse the GTS with those first. I don't like doing it, though, and avoid it if I can. I might need to buy a year of PokeBank to store extra stuff if I breed more though...

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I use this option to let go of Pokémon that I have absolutely no need for, such as a Pichu with bad nature and IVs. Last time I actually used it, though, was about three ago in Pokémon HeartGold. xD" Also, I'm moving your thread over to Pokémon Gaming Central, as it relates to all games in-general and not just X and Y.

Thread moved.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Before Bank I actually started running out of space so I needed to release some 'mons. They really need to make it so you can release eggs. I have about three boxes full of eggs from the days of the shiny values, and I really don't want to hatch them.

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • If you're playing or watching Twitch Play Pokemon now, you know how bad releasing Pokemon can be.

Personally I try not to release Pokemon unless I'm breeding for a shiny. Then I'll release the one I don't need or give them off in Wonder Trade.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I didn't really start releasing Pokemon often until gen VI with Wonder Trade and such. I don't want to send out stuff no one wants, like Bunnelby and Flabebe. So yeah. Things like that get released. They'll have more fun out there anyway.

What's not okay is releasing Abby, Jay Leno, Cabbage, Dux, and the other babes. Why. Why would you even. :|

Years
    • Seen Jul 9, 2014
    I have never, ever released one of my Pokémon. After catching them with a Pokéball and then training them through blood, sweat and tears, I believe it to be disrespectful when you just release them into the wild, with no where to go.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I have never, ever released one of my Pokémon. After catching them with a Pokéball and then training them through blood, sweat and tears, I believe it to be disrespectful when you just release them into the wild, with no where to go.

omg yes. Like, I can't release something I've named and trained and such. I only release things I don't want to resend on Wonder Trade. That's really it.

Years
  • As far as I go, at least in XY, sometimes i'll release stuff like crappy spit backs if they're not ideal or serve no use. For instance, if i'm breeding, say two 4 IVs and attempting for an HA, if I get a male with 5 31s i'll keep it because it'll make a good parent for if I want to breed more. But if I get a female with 5 IVs and the non-HA, I probably won't be letting it stick around.

But other than that if I get crappy Pokémon from Wonder Trade I usually release them.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • I used to release all my failed breeding projects, but come XY, I just WT them instead. That way, someone else has a chance to do something with my slightly-less-than-optimal baby pokémon and I get a random pokémon from the internet that I can do whatever I want to do with.

Years
  • I release fairly often. Pokemon that most people wouldn't want that I obtain through wonder trade are usually released as well as failed attempts at IV breeds.. just released around two boxes of Chespins last night and am going to go through the rest either today or tomorrow.

I like to think of it as letting them live happily in the forest with their pokefriends without being forced into battles. Sometimes it makes me curious to know exactly how many I've released, though.. (○o○)

Years
  • It could be because of my hoarding mentality, but all the Pokemon I caught in X have been kept in the boxes :c Honestly, I do feel bad for not using the majority of them and keeping them there, but I'm already so attached to each of them that I find it hard to simply let them go D:

Blueredemption

Never stop exploring!
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Oct 16, 2023
    i rarely release the Pokemon i catch, but when it comes to breeding and wonder trade its a different story. if i don't release the i get from breeding i wonder trade them away and then i release them. they are basically doomed from the get go. (i literally just released about a hundred Pokemon i that i stored in bank that were from wonder trade)

i wonder what the Pokemon center looks like after i clean out my pc :/

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I don't release pokémon; I usually let them sit in my box or trade them on wonder trade.

Back