• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Request a Moveset / Simple Q&A / Breeding Questions

S+M staff are great

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Maybe

• Total voters

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2024
    Not many Scarfers outspeed Salamence or are good outside of that...Ice Punch Jirachi is prolly the best bet though but its risking a speed tie. Anything else scarfed is Pursuit bait and should be avoided (Starmie, Latias, Gengar, Jolt etc) because relying on those for your defense is really bad.

The better way in dealing with DD Mence is is fitting something like Scizor or even Mamoswine into you teams to deal with it (CB Bullet Punch KO's after SR + one turn of LO recoil) or just simply luring to Outrage into a steel types. Physically Defensive Rest Talk Gyarados can take an Outrage after Intimidate (even with SR up) and OHKO back with Avalanche. Swampert, Cress and Hippowdon also work at full health, Bronzong and (S.Def) Skarmory do amazing too and of course there is P2 (Trace..) and Weavile but those are terrible otherwise.

As of late, ive found CB Nite to be a cool revenge killer of Mence as CB Extremespeed strips over half its health away which is very useful with SR.

Gyarados can just be walled, you dont need a scarfer for that, just slap HP Electric on a random bulky water or use Rotom or W/E lol.

Remember, the more scarfers you have the more stall weak you are lol.

EDIT :

Crits should not be accounted for. So Quagsire IS a counter and so is Steelix if you run the good nature of Relaxed and can KO Drap back with STAB EQ. Fighting types also own it because Drapion kinda cant do much to them. Torterra is useful too, Duggy is is very useful against it too and Donphan makes a decent check.

Last edited:

JOSHIKINZ_94

The crusader
    Years
    • Seen Dec 26, 2010
    ok then, thanks for the help :). i also have this set for a wall breaking magmortar:

magmortar @ life orb
    mild: 60 atk, 252 sp.atk, 196 speed
    cross chop
    earthquake
    fire blast
    thunderbolt

any ideas/ suggestions?

i kinda got skipped lol :D

Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2010
    I think that the magmortar is quite good however I don't think cross chop is too good =\

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
    Joshkinz, thats a pretty standard wall-breaking set except most people run Hidden Power [Grass] over Earthquake, but if its on Wi-Fi I suppose EQ could work just was well, because breeding for a specific Hidden Power is a pain.

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
    Years
    My first attempt at making a team which works well together. UU.

Slowing@ Left Overs
    Undecided
    Calm (+SpD -Atk)
    Psychic
    Fire Blast
    Slack Off
    Light Screen

Psychic to hit Fighting types that threaten Umbreon and for Stab. Fire Blast for Bugs. Light Screen is to help it and all of the others.

Umbreon@ Left Overs
    Sassy (+SpD -Spe)
    252 HP / 4 Atk / 252SpD
    Toxic
    Wish
    Protect
    Payback

Standard set, no need to explain it.

Arcanine@ Left Overs
    Bold (+Def -Atk)
    Flame Thrower
    Roar
    Hidden Power Ground
    Extreme Speed

Flame Thrower for stab and for Steels Umbreon always has problems with. Roar explained at bottom. Since my whole team (so far) is slow, I thought I needed one priority move.

Blastoise@ Left Overs

Bold (+Def -Atk)
    252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
    Surf
    Rapid Spin
    Hidden Power Grass
    Protect

General stab and makes Arcanine usable. Rapid Spin for Arcanine too.
    Hidden Power Grass for... I just realised this entire set is for Arcanine. It also helps Slowing. Protect for exploders, which seem very common right now, and also to check for items.
    ---------------------
    For this set I really want a good Stealth Rock lead. And of course there's the other Pokemon, I was thinking of a Rain Dance Ludicolo, since it's fast (after Rain Dance) and also helps Blastoise out.

Comments?

Last edited:

institutions

ain't that a kick in the head?
    Years
    I hope this goes here.
    Just attempted my first EV training EVER, and want to make sure I did it right.

I started with an Eevee with Pokerus and was going for a 252 SpA / 252 Speed / 4 HP Espeon.
    First, I fed it 10 of each vitamin (Sp. Attack raising and Speed raising.)
    Now I have 100 SpA / 100 Speed.
    I attached a Power Lens to Eevee and fought 19 pidgeys. So thats (+38 Speed) and (+152 SpA).
    So now I have 252 SpA / 138 Speed.
    Unattached Power Lens and fought 3 Hoothoots. (So +6 HP EVs. Of course only 4 count, though.)
    Attached Power Anklet to Eevee and fought 11 more pidgeys (PKRS + Anklet = 10 Speed each)
    Now I should be at 252 SpA / 248 Speed / 4 HP.
    I took the Power Anklet off and killed 2 more pidgeys (PKRS = 2 EVs each)
    So I have 252 SpA / 252 Speed / 4 HP now, right?

Just wanted to make sure I did all this right. I went and got the effort ribbon from the lady to make sure, but idk if I calculated it all to go into the right stats. Especially the random 6 HP EVs from the Hoothoots.

EDIT:
    Also, what about a good moveset for it?
    I read around and was thinking: Psychic, Shadow Ball, Morning Sun, Grass Knot.

Last edited:

Spike Kintarin

Don't run! It's just ham!
    Years
    Okay, I had another couple of questions now that I think about it.

First, what are some of the best movesets for Mewtwo? I'm on the verge of getting my 8th badge in SS in Kanto, and am eager to get him and just use him for whatever. I mainly want a sweeper/"all powerful" Mewtwo. Any ideas?

Second, if I were to make a team of Eevee evo's, any idea on some of the better movesets for them/where I can find them?

Fire Wolf

it's as humid as a sauna, boy!
    Years
    Okay, I had another couple of questions now that I think about it.

First, what are some of the best movesets for Mewtwo? I'm on the verge of getting my 8th badge in SS in Kanto, and am eager to get him and just use him for whatever. I mainly want a sweeper/"all powerful" Mewtwo. Any ideas?

Second, if I were to make a team of Eevee evo's, any idea on some of the better movesets for them/where I can find them?
    Mewtwo is pretty versatile. Look here for sets: https://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/mewtwo

For eeveelution sets, check the links given below:
    https://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/vaporeon for Vaporeon
    https://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/umbreon for Umbreon
    https://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/jolteon for Jolteon
    https://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/glaceon for Glaceon
    https://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/flareon for Flareon
    https://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/espeon for Espeon
    https://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/leafeon for Leafeon.

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
    lengthy quote.

Weezing + Slowking or Weezing + Umbreon would be better, since Slowking/Umbreon are both weak to bug types, albeit uncommon, can still hurt you being able to take out both your walls. and imo, umbreon works better with Curse over Toxic but its to you.

On Arcanine, Hidden Power [Ground] offers no real additional coverage and a bold nature is kinda lol. Run Adamant or Jolly if you want physical or Naive/Hasty if you want mixed. If you have Extremespeed on it, you don't want a -Atk nature. Also, your Arcy has no EVs listed. ^__^

Blastoise is fine to me, but you could wanna put Rest/Sleep Talk/Surf/Rapid Spin for status absorb, unless you are gonna add an absorber in later, in which case the current set works fine.

EDIT: @ Institutions, I'm pretty sure that a Power Lens only gives you a SpAtk EV bonus if you fight a pokemon that gives SpAtk EVs, which Pidgey does not, so you just gained a ton of Speed EVs, no Sp. Atk EVs.

EDIT 2: Also, a good moveset for Espeon is: Trick/Psychic/Grass Knot/Shadow Ball @ Choice Specs (alt. is Life Orb with Calm Mind over Trick)

institutions

ain't that a kick in the head?
    Years
    EDIT: @ Institutions, I'm pretty sure that a Power Lens only gives you a SpAtk EV bonus if you fight a pokemon that gives SpAtk EVs, which Pidgey does not, so you just gained a ton of Speed EVs, no Sp. Atk EVs.

EDIT 2: Also, a good moveset for Espeon is: Trick/Psychic/Grass Knot/Shadow Ball @ Choice Specs (alt. is Life Orb with Calm Mind over Trick)

Are you sure? Cause now after every level up I gain 3-5 SpAtk EVs. I thought I read that the power items give the stat no matter what. Like using it against a poke that gives +1 HP EV would mean getting 1 HP EV and 4 SpAtk.

Thanks. I think I'll probably go for the Life Orb/Calm Mind set. It's not even for competitive battling. I just wanna own friends.

TundraCanine

Shizuku
    Years
    Whats the difference?

I've seen a lot of competitive movesets have Curse in them, but Bulk Up does the same thing, just doesn't lower speed. So why not use Bulk Up to raise your Attack and defense without sacrificing speed?

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2010
    Just a quick question that I suppose goes here?

With the STAB, the multiplier is 1.5x. Is this directly applied to the "power" of a move?

For example which move would do more damage from my Prinplup? Metal Claw is 50 power, whereas Aqua Jet is 40 power but should have a 1.5x bonus from STAB. Can I basically read Aqua Jet as having 60 (40*1.5) power in this situation and thus concluding it would be more powerful against a normal pokemon?
    Cheers

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
    Years
    @.Gamer: Uncommon is an understatement. In two years of competitive batling, I have not once been against a Pinsir. I have Heracross, of course, but that's OU anyway. I've got Fire Blast on Slowking, and Arcanine, anyway. I hat Weezing anyway. Umbreon works better with Toxic imo, since while you'recursing up, the person is setting up and not taking Toxic damage. Even with curses, Umbreon dies against most +2 moves anyway.

On Arcanine I'm now running Impish since I wanted a bulky one. I've replaced HP Ground with
    Will-O-Wisp/Thunder Fang and Flame Thrower with Flare Blitz. So now I have two Special and two Offensive 'mon. I was tired when I posted so forgot the EVs...

Blastoise is mainly there for Spinning, I don't need it to stay in long enough, and if it went to sleep, it (possible) couldn't spin. I think HP Grass helps more and Protect help more.

Reposting with slight edits for more rates.

Slowing@Left Overs
    Undecided
    Calm (+SpD -Atk)
    Psychic
    Fire Blast
    Slack Off
    Light Screen

Psychic to hit Fighting types that threaten Umbreon and for Stab. Fire Blast for Bugs. Light Screen is to help it and all of the others.

Umbreon@Left Overs
    Sassy (+SpD -Spe)
    252 HP / 4 Atk / 252SpD
    Toxic
    Wish
    Protect
    Payback

Standard set, no need to explain it.

Arcanine@Left Overs
    Impish (+Def -SpA)
    240 HP / 168 Def / 28 SpA / 72 Spe
    Will-O-Wisp/Thunder Fang
    Flare Blitz
    Roar
    Extreme Speed

Will-O-Wisp to cripple, or Thunder Fang to get rid of Waters? I can't decide between the two. Flare Blitz for stab and for Steels Umbreon always has problems with. Roar explained at bottom. Since my whole team (so far) is slow, I thought I needed one priority move.

Blastoise@Left Overs

Bold (+Def -Atk)
    252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
    Surf
    Rapid Spin
    Hidden Power Grass
    Protect

General stab and makes Arcanine usable. Rapid Spin for Arcanine too.
    Hidden Power Grass for... I just realised this entire set is for Arcanine. It also helps Slowing. Protect for exploders, which seem very common right now, and also to check for items and if they've been Toxic/Will-O-Wisp.
    ---------------------
    For this set I really want a good Stealth Rock lead, what could I use?. And of course there's the other Pokemon.

jirachis_best_friend

Aura Hunter
    Years
    Just a quick question that I suppose goes here?

With the STAB, the multiplier is 1.5x. Is this directly applied to the "power" of a move?

For example which move would do more damage from my Prinplup? Metal Claw is 50 power, whereas Aqua Jet is 40 power but should have a 1.5x bonus from STAB. Can I basically read Aqua Jet as having 60 (40*1.5) power in this situation and thus concluding it would be more powerful against a normal pokemon?
    Cheers

Uhh, all of that is truth, but I know for certain abilities it isn't added on to the base power as such. With abilities like 'Technician' which boosts the power of weaker moves (I think either 60 power and below or 50 and below, can't recall) it adds the STAB multiplier after the fact. So if Prinplup had the ability Technician (Which it doesn't, but just for example let's say it does) the Aqua Jet move would first be boosted by Technician and then add the 1.5x STAB. Make sense?

Back