• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Required selfie avatars.

Poki

Banned
Years
  • Can someone explain why they have a problem posting a picture of themself online but they likely don't have a problem just walking freely in a mall or large city or sporting arena?

Because I don't really get it.

It's one thing to be seen outside, and another to show people pictures of you where you can & have the right to remain anonymous.

Also, I can imagine how people with social anxiety would have a problem going outside, and be seen by others.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • Can someone explain why they have a problem posting a picture of themself online but they likely don't have a problem just walking freely in a mall or large city or sporting arena?

The internet's a whole lot more expansive than a shopping centre. That's around a thousand compared to millions. The internet isn't populated by the nicest people, either.

Not everyone's as willing to share a picture of themselves as you are.
    Why are you even comparing being outside to the internet in the first place? I don't get that.

Khilia

Kawaii in the streets, senpai in the sheets
    Years

The reason why I use internet forums is that very reason.

I want to escape real life and the mess it is, I want to be someone I want to be and enjoy being, rather than needing to be bound to something as superficial as the way I look like.
    People can easily get along with each other -without- needing to judge or being judged by their looks, which is the unfortunate case in real life.
    If I really wanted to see how others looked like I could visit the selfie threads, or just move to effing facebook.
    In all honesty, the plain idea is just incredibly unfair to transgender or whatever people, or people who are simply just shy as hell and won't like everyone to know how they look like.

If that rule really would be pulled off then PC definitely would lose at least 1/2 or 3/4 of it's entire population...

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    Ehh, I wouldn't really like it. Not so much as run off from this site but... hmm, maybe my bro would allow me to pose as him. ofc, if his picture is tagged with his name then I'm going to get me own name changed.

Seriously though, I'd rather not do it, but I don't see much of a problem for most people, yeah.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • Eh, I wouldn't care, personally, but that would be a horrible rule. A huge portion of PC would choose the "leave PC forever" option, and such a rule would probably keep a lot of potential new members from joining.

With only a few people here, it'd be pretty lifeless here, and I'd probably get bored and leave :P

Edit: I just thought about something. What's to stop someone from using a picture that's not actually them? Even if someone did stay here and conform to the rule, you couldn't know if who you were seeing was actually them.

Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2017
    No way. No thanks.

The last time a picture was publicly (and even then, the accounts are set to private, friends only) posted of me online was in January and even then you can't see much of my face. I'd much rather remain as anonymous as possible ._. I'd like to keep the internet word separate from the real world.

Years
  • I wouldn't post anymore. I think it'd be a bit weird needing it to be my avatar at all times. Not that I don't like having selfies, but again I would just feel weird with it.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
    Years

Because there are some creepy people on the internet and I'd rather not get attention I wouldn't otherwise. Been there, done that. I don't have to worry about how appearence affects relationships with people I pass by in public. I mean, I'd do it cause I like how I look, it's just one more silly thing I'd be trepidacious about and selfies are stressful for me cause I'm awful at taking pictures and a selfie has to be perfect for me to be okay with it.

TY

I wouldn't post anymore. I think it'd be a bit weird needing it to be my avatar at all times. Not that I don't like having selfies, but again I would just feel weird with it.

I would just leave. I do not mind showing my face, but being forced to have it as my avatar goes a bit too far imo. Plus there is like a crapton of members who just want to remain anonymous and if they are forced to show themselves then it is most likely to happen that they just never log on again.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I would see how other people reacted, honestly. I wouldn't mind doing it if a good chunk of my friend were, but I would see no point in staying and compromising my privacy if everyone else left due to it. The fact that Andy and Nick would do it basically means I would though. :)

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    I'd leave. I'd leave any site that required that. =p

I obviously don't mind showing my face, either, but being required to have it as my avatar at all times is too far for me.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    The internet's a whole lot more expansive than a shopping centre. That's around a thousand compared to millions. The internet isn't populated by the nicest people, either.

Not everyone's as willing to share a picture of themselves as you are.
    Why are you even comparing being outside to the internet in the first place? I don't get that.
    Settleeeee. I'm not implying anything; it's just a question.

There are some really sassy / passive-aggressive replies going on here.

Years

Like Poki mentioned, I think it comes down to having the ability to remain anonymous that keeps people from posting their pictures. For myself, I'd like to remain faceless as much as possible (disregarding the pictures in the mugshot thread), and I'd prefer not to stare at my own face every time I'm posting somewhere. If PC implemented that rule, hypothetically, I'd probably still remain a member to be honest.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I would cheat the system and use pictures of my cosplays!

If that wasn't allowed, then I guess I'd be okay with using normal selfies, I've got nothing against my appearance anymore, nor with people knowing what I look like.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I would cheat the system and use pictures of my cosplays!

If that wasn't allowed, then I guess I'd be okay with using normal selfies, I've got nothing against my appearance anymore, nor with people knowing what I look like.
    They are allowed! I'm glad you mentioned that.

It is a selfie, after all!

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Looking how I have gender dysphoria, and my appearance and everything else that comes along with it is just... more unacceptable than anything else for me, well...

It'd simply be the death sentence for me.
    This is the reason why I wouldn't like this either.

If that were to happen right now, I'd leave the forums. I'm trans, and my body doesn't reflect who I am at all, and I don't want that to affect how people see me. Once I'm able to start transitioning, I'll come back if this hypothetical system is still in place because then my body will reflect who I am.

It's different for me wandering around in the outside world compared to being on the forums. In the outside world, I'm not currently "out" as trans, so people see me in the way that I look. But online, I can be exactly who I wish I was without having to worry about how I look to everyone.

Plus, there's also the fact that I currently like my Internet life and real life to remain separate, and I can't do that if my face is attached to every word I say here.

Eevee3

╰( ´・ω・)つ━☆゚.* ・。゚
    Years
  • I'd use a picture of myself. I'm not one to take selfies...in fact, I hate it. But I have taken a few decent shots that I just keep reusing. xD So I'd be fine with it.

Trev

[span="font-size: 8px; color: white;"][font="Monts
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Nov 15, 2023
    I will gladly post a selfie because

Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2014
    I would probably leave, if it wasn't a rule and it was a request I would probably be like WHY NOT! but I'd have a problem with someone demanding to see my face. It's nice to be able to control how much information I give out and it'd be rude to disrespect others who maybe aren't as comfortable with it by demanding a selfie avatar! XP

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • Hey Nick, would there be any way in which the site could confirm or deny if I was really that person? Because I would totes just upload a picture of Jake Gyllenhaal if they could neither confirm nor deny that I was him. Not that I have any issues uploading a picture of myself as my avatar - I've already posted numerous shots of me here on this site - but rather who wouldn't want to be Jake, he's a hunk.

If I couldn't though, I'd still use a picture of myself. I have no problems with showing off my bearded mug.

Back