• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Hack of the Year] Results - 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xiros

-Pokémon Omega Creator-
Years
well, i still think prism deserves to be the "GBC Hack of the year" and Shiny Gold the "GBA hack of the year", they are of different generations and they really can´t be judged in the same category... its ilogical.

Sergio--

...call me Serg!o...
Years
Erimgard, Ozumas means that SG is incomparable with a GBC hack, you should take into account it's impossible to treat both hacks like the same sort of hack (difficulties, potential).

Well, i am talking with the responsible of the contest, Hiroshi, but at the moment he is reluctant to acknowledge it.
I'm sorry if I am disturbing but I think that the majority opinion must be respected and the well-done works awarded.

Erimgard

Rocket's Revenge
Years
Erimgard, Ozumas means that SG is incomparable with a GBC hack, you should take into account it's impossible to treat both hacks like the same sort of hack (difficulties, potential).
I hope you're correct. It sounded to me like he was saying that Prism is less of a hack just because it's second gen, but I sincerely hope he knows better than to say that.

Xiros

-Pokémon Omega Creator-
Years
i know ozumas, and really, his english is horrible. Once when ozumas and me posted our remake called "Pokémon Oro", people thought he didn´t like the hack, and it was his own! But well, he is now trying to improve his english....

Well, i´m still saying that serg!o is right, the both hacks can´t be treated like the same sort of hack as he says.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 26, 2022
So, scrutinise me. I've taken so long to get Hack of the Year 2007 results up, and I blame the judge that held me up. Who shall not be named (yet). [. . .] The votes are tallied up between three judges (originally five, but one disappeared and one took too bloody long) and added together as an average.

Once again, excuse me for putting my education before my fandom. I'm so sorry, and I won't let it happen again, ever. :\

Erimgard

Rocket's Revenge
Years
Once again, excuse me for putting my education before my fandom. I'm so sorry, and I won't let it happen again, ever. :\
he didn't call you out by name. and if you agreed to it, you should've come through. if you don't have time to do something, don't agree to do it. no need for the sarcasm. HS didn't do anything wrong

Blitzballer

Sarcasm: now GMO-free.
Years
hackoftheyearresults.png

The only thing I would scrutinize is the way Pokemon Prism was judged in the Graphical Presentation catagory. If the HoTY was divided into GBC and GBA, then I could see those results, but Prism, Shiny Gold, and Rocket's Revenge were judged together, and by Shiny Gold's and Rocket's Revenge's standards, Prism just does not compare (don't flame me just yet!)

That by no means means (lol) that I think that Prism is less of a game because of it. Graphics don't make a game, gameplay makes a game. I absolutely love Prism, but I love Shiny Gold more because it brought back my beloved Johto region (seeing as Nintendo won't, grrrrrrh), and it is only human nature to be depressed when something doesn't go your way.

Last edited:

Erimgard

Rocket's Revenge
Years
I'm guessing they judged the graphics based on how well he utilizied them
of course F/R graphics are better than G/S/C graphics, but I'm guessing it was more based on what they did with what they had
While I agree that SG had better graphical presentation then Prism, I don't think it's a huge separation.

So HS, I don't believe you've said either way [and I understand if you don't say at all at this time] whether the voting method used in this year's HoTY voting will remain the same in years to come or not

Years
The only thing I would scrutinize is the way Pokemon Prism was judged in the Graphical Presentation catagory. If the HoTY was divided into GBC and GBA, then I could see those results, but Prism, Shiny Gold, and Rocket's Revenge were judged together, and by Shiny Gold's and Rocket's Revenge's standards, Prism just does not compare (don't flame me just yet!)

That by no means means (lol) that I think that Prism is less of a game because of it. Graphics don't make a game, gameplay makes a game. I absolutely love Prism, but I love Shiny Gold more because it brought back my beloved Johto region (seeing as Nintendo won't, grrrrrrh), and it is only human nature to be depressed when something doesn't go your way.

The reason why Prism can be given that score is because CBM is limited to the graphics that a GBC rom can handle. So we'd have to compare the graphics of Prism to other GBC hacks in the showcase.
And we'd have to score GBA hacks compared to other GBA hacks here at PC.

Shadow

Original Flavor Darkness
Years
I would like to add that my judging was coming from knowing nothing of current hacks that are "hip" or "cool" by the majority of the community. I've been away from PC quite a lot lately, and just as I had started having free time, Hiroshi asked me to do this so I came back. I knew nothing of any of these hacks before judging them, yet I do have some (quite outdated now I'm sure) hack knowledge, so therefore my judging was bias-free and I tried to be as accurate as possible.

I congratulate the winner, and the two runners up, just for making it this far. It was a very tough battle in many categories, even just with my own personal judging. I hope all three hacks are finished and become quite successful, as there are no losers here, and all that other pep talk!

Much fun, guys.

I judged them all based on what the ROM was capable of. I know Prism simply cannot do some things possible in the other hacks, simply because it is on the Color and not Advance. Just as the number score is out of ten, I made my score out of the possible best that hack could obtain on its platform, if that makes any sense.

Green Charizard

pɹɐzıɹɐɥɔ uǝǝɹƃ
Years
Congratulations Prism and Coolboyman

I too, like so many others expected Shiny Gold, however.

But, I can see how Prism was chosen. In fact, I sort of see both sides of the argument. It was judged in categories testing every thing about the hacks, and this is why I can see how Prism had won. It is a hack that seems professional with features and... all sorts of advanced stuff. But yet, there's Shiny Gold, the hack everyone talks about, with a massive following, seemingly liked by all, it does have amazing scripting and all, it is of a high quality. But yet for quality, Prism takes the biscuit.

Prism seems to have been chosen for being the best hacked, the features and efficiency, the skill involved, the neatness and tidiness. But Shiny Gold had the biggest member following, in fact, I'd guess everyone follows Shiny Gold, it was the members favorite hack (and I have to admit, it was my favorite too).

So, I think you really need to decide what "Hack of the Year" means, whether if it's the best hacked, with the highest skill level. OR the hack that people thought "was the best" and which one they liked - this is proven by member opinion Vs. Judges votes (They completely contradict each other) I like both hacks, and, Prism deserved to win for it's quality and it's hackers skills and ability which is of course reflected in the hack - which it was judged on in that table. But, I also think Shiny Gold deserved to win as the member's choice, the member's favorite hack.

It might be a good idea to maybe split the award into two next time, something like "Member's Choice" (The members favorite) and "The Best Hacked" (Judges voting on features and quality etc.).

I hope you understand what I'm trying to say as it's very hard to put into words, but that's my opinion.

Oh and, I'd just like to say well done to Rocket's Revenge, you did well, and everyones talking about Shiny Gold and Prism.

zel 2.0

Gold Remaker
Years
Hey guys... Now that I'm less pissed than yesterday I wanted to say that its enough. Don't worry about the situation. I still think that three people dont represent the feeling of the hacking community, but still, if that's how the rules are gonna be, I will abide them this time. I'll just keep the results of the first and second phases (specially the category ones) as something more close to how the community would do the judging on a third phase of the HotY.

So, again, don't worry. And I'll still think about what I'm going to do... Humph...

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 9, 2021
For being GBC, Prism is probably the best hack out there. Just because GBC is the last generation hacking doesn't make it bad compared to GBA hacks. Yes, the graphics are "old school" but most can appreciate the work that hackers are trying to do with them. Prism is better than most of the GBA hacks that I've seen, just because it has such a following, and the things Coolboyman is able to do with it.

Comparatively, Prism outranks Shiny Gold in terms of the news stuff implemented into it. But Shiny Gold has a lot of scripting work, some of the best I've ever seen.

This is only my opinion, but maybe Pokecommunity should try and have a GBC Hacking Revolution.

Years
  • Seen Dec 27, 2007
Congratulations, Coolboyman, but I think that the pokemon shiny gold deserves the 1 º put, since it is more worn out and is of gba. Or at least, the pokemon shiny gold the best hack of gba of the year and the best pokemon prism hack of gbc of the year. I request that is corrected because I do not agree with the final result.

Bye

Xiros

-Pokémon Omega Creator-
Years
I still think this is unfair... A GBA hack and a GBC hack can not be judged as the same type of hack....

Teh Baro

In my times...!
Years
I don't want people to misinterpret me, because I'm zel's friend. Personally I don't care about these sort of contests because we shouldn't hack for honor. We hack for fun, for creativity, and I'm sure that in most cases because some of us want to be game programmers.
But, I think that most people say that we should make separate competitions for GBC and GBA because that way zel would win.

Apple Inc.

This Changes Everything. Again
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 29, 2023
Congratulations to CBM and Pokemon Prism on Hack of the Year. I think zel however is very dissapointed about this as his profile says SG- n/a and how his friend list says: Those who supported me (past tense) making me think his game is quit. I think that you should make Shiny Gold 1st place for GBA Hack of the year and make Prism 1st place for GBC Hack of the year and a 3rd category for non-pokemon hacks.

Erimgard

Rocket's Revenge
Years
Congratulations to CBM and Pokemon Prism on Hack of the Year. I think zel however is very dissapointed about this as his profile says SG- n/a and how his friend list says: Those who supported me (past tense) making me think his game is quit. I think that you should make Shiny Gold 1st place for GBA Hack of the year and make Prism 1st place for GBC Hack of the year and a 3rd category for non-pokemon hacks.

I assure you, he has not quit Shiny Gold
and that's already been suggested multiple times. HS says there aren't enough second gen hacks for it to be a good category. what's done is done. The results of this year are not going to change. I think what's important is that everyone understands and agrees upon a voting system so that there won't be problems like this next year.

Others have said before, no one said that the voting system was unfair when it was announced like 5 months ago, so why do you feel the right to complain now? Yes, by popular vote, Zel would be the winner, but it was clearly stated MONTHS ago that the final round which determined the HoTY would not just be popular vote. Anyone who disagreed with this should've said so months ago.

Xiros

-Pokémon Omega Creator-
Years
I STILL THINK this is unfair, specially after I counted the votes of the second round in many different ways and always my results were that prism was 4th not 3rd, the 3rd was Rijorn Adventures S=

At least shiny gold should have the "Best GBA hack of the year" as he deserves it

Erimgard

Rocket's Revenge
Years
I STILL THINK this is unfair, specially after I counted the votes of the second round in many different ways and always my results were that prism was 4th not 3rd, the 3rd was Rijorn Adventures S=

At least shiny gold should have the "Best GBA hack of the year" as he deserves it
I highly doubt that HS would cheat HIMSELF out of the top 3 seeing as Rijon Adventures is his hack.
And how many times does it need to be said? there can't be separate categories for the separate styles unless there are more second gen hacks

I dont necessarily agree that there are too few second gen hacks, but that's what HS has said, and what he says goes. Saying that it's not fair won't change his mind
You should've complained months ago

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back