• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Rival's name

Guest123_x1

In Yellow, I used one of the default name choices, Gary-given how Yellow was a tie-in to the anime. In Blue, which I haven't started yet on the Virtual Console, I plan on naming the rival after my cousin who got me into Pokémon in the first place (who I have long considered to be a rival of sorts.)
    Not sure yet on naming the characters in Red, though.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    I went with Blue, because I'll be naming myself Ash in Yellow, and thus my rival in that version will be Gary.

Years
    • Seen Apr 12, 2016
    I always went with gary in kanto regions to tie in with the anime and the fact that gary is Oak's grandson. But my player name changed on each version:

On yellow I was always Ash
    On red I was always Ace
    On blue I was always Chris

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    I just went with GARY, because I wasn't feeling creative at the time. Which is why I'm HUNTER.

Bay

Years
  • I named my rival Burr because I'm obsessed with Hamilton the Musical, haha. I should have named myself Hamilton instead of Bay, but I gave the name to my Pikachu instead. Don't ask, lol.

(I was originally going to just go with Gary, but eh wanted to have a bit of fun with naming a rival and I really don't have anyone in real life I despise, soooo).

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • My Rival in Yellow is named Zero[/Pk/][/Mn/]. No real reason for this name; just that I was randomly casting about for a name for my rival and couldn't find someone to name them after so I just let my mind's "PRNG" decide on something.

...yeah. There is absolutely 0 logic behind this name.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    All of my rivals have been named S. When I first began Red, I didn't want to use the typical rival names that my friends used (like "Douche"), nor did I want to go with one of the preset names. I decided to pick a letter of the alphabet that I disliked, and for some reason, I settled on S. I'm not sure why I disliked the letter S (it's not my favorite letter, but it's probably in the top 50% at this point, or at least not in the bottom 25%), but it stuck. I have used it in every game since then, and when I started up Red a couple of days ago, I entered it without really thinking too much of it.

TCB

Tranquilo.
    Years
  • I named my rival in Yellow Sayquan. Why? I named him after my childhood friend, who I was thinking of randomly the night I brought the game off the eShop. I remember us playing the old games together a lot so this is my way of referencing that.

Years
  • named mine after my brother. Him and I started playing back when it originally came out. He is in the military and on deployment overseas so I think it is only fitting.

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    Ollie, because I was listening to Years & Years when I started the game.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
  • Back in my younger days it was always Ash and Gary in RBY. Then as I got older it was just Red and Blue since that's the canonical (US, at least) names for them in the games. But in my eShop Yellow playthrough, I went with Ash and Gary since it's based on the anime.

Back