• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Search engines

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    There's a ton of search engines out there, with Google, Bing, and Yahoo being three of the most popular ones. Out of them all, which do you find yourself using most? Why do you use it? How long have you been using it? If it were taken down one day, forcing you to replace it, which would you go with and why? :P

Years
    It starts with a G. Need I say more?

I use Google. I've been using it for as long as I've been allowed to access the internet. It's brought me instant results to my liking, and I've never struggled when it comes to looking things up on Google. If Google were to disappear, I think I'd probably switch to bing.. but I miss the old Windows Live Search, which bing took over nearly five years ago.

LividZephyr

Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks
    Years
    Google. There are other search engines?

Okay, that's a joke, xD. I've used bingiton.com to compare Bing and Google and every time it either ties or Google wins. I'm not going to Bing. And Yahoo... aren't they pretty much dead?

Google isn't going anywhere. I'd go to Bing if they did, but I'd miss Google. Google really pioneered Internet searches. Hence why I've used them for like 15 years.

Years
    • Seen Aug 30, 2020
    I use Google for about 8 years now. Google is easy to use, and it yields a lot of search results. If Google is defunct, I will rather use Yahoo or Bing.

Years
    Been using Google for as long as I can remember, but I do distinctly recall also using Yahoo! back when I got integrated with the internet in elementary/middle school. The former is the one I use on a daily basis mainly because I can just type the search terms into the Safari address bar so that's very efficient instead of having to go to the website itself. Should Google, for some odd reason, be taken down, I would probably go back to using Yahoo!. Only reason why I don't is because of the aforementioned reason, but also the Yahoo! search results page seems too busy and congregated with unnecessary stuff.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    It starts with G and ends with oogle.

I started using Google immediately after I got access to the internet... which was in... 4th or 5th grade, I guess?

I hate other search engines. The only thing they do is putting unnecessary toolbars to browsers. (I hate uninstalling them because people cannot uncheck "Install xxx toolbar to browser yyy" in installations.)

Life

[FONT="Poiret One"][color=#aaaaaa]Perception of Re
    Years
    I've been using Yahoo since Grade 5, I used to use Google before that but I started using Yahoo since I was trying to make a certain someone mad since they were like obsessed with Google. :D

Yahoo is pretty nice, it's pretty much the same as Google as it comes up with most of the searches I want, and I've been using it ever since. Also Yahoo gives me some headlines which is great since I hate watching the news. lol

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I don't see the point in using anything other than Google as nothing else has any advantages over it.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
    Years
    I have been using Google since forever. Yahoo used to be an option many, many years ago, but honestly, no other search engine can beat Google. If Google ever were to go... I guess I'd have to resort to Yahoo or even Bing.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Am I the only person using Bing as the primary search engine? I'm not even particularly loyal to any one search engine, especially after trying Bing It On and ending up with "variety hour" as the result (nobody consistently wins). Close enough for me, I suppose.

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
    Years
    I've only ever used Google. Sometimes, I accidentally use Bing when I'm on a different computer and using IE. But, since I use Google Chrome, it's Google everything.

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    Eh, I use Google. It's the best for a reason but it is a marketing company and it makes money off of advertising and selling your info, but oh well.

@Terabyte - When I started using the Internet, there was no Google!

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Do people really use Bing? (°o°;)Only reasons I know of are because they keep asking you to set it as your default search engine via installations and etc haha.

I've seen way more of the opposite, in a way: Google Chrome and Google Toolbar being foisted on users on unrelated programs isn't exactly the best way to not draw attention :3 (Bing is the default search engine on Internet Explorer on a fresh non-OEM install; it can be anything on OEM installations (my Toshiba had it set to Google), so don't hold your breath.)

It's actually kind of refreshing to be not using Google for everything, to be honest - I've almost always preferred alternatives in almost every single situation. Bing being competent helps a lot, too.

Years
    Who cares if Google markets off of what we search for anyways? Google is not the only company doing that, really, and geolocation technology is becoming more and more for these search providers (including bing and Yahoo!) to bring you personalized results. It's helpful to the person, and they allow for convenience as well. The key is to just be weary on what you search for if you don't want to sell yourself so much to google.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Yahoo used to be my homepage few years ago back in 2009, and would use it for almost everything, whether it be searching, checking mails, reading news, or anything at all. Now, I'm using Google. If I were forced to switch, though, then I'd change back to Yahoo in a heartbeat. d:

Years
    I've been using primarily Google for years, though I've been getting better results with Bing of late when trying to find obscure things like solutions to rare issues with some programs. When I first got on the internet, I was briefly using MSN search, but then I was introduced to Yahoo search and later Google search and have never looked back. At least, not until Microsoft rolled out Bing, that is.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Who cares if Google markets off of what we search for anyways? Google is not the only company doing that, really, and geolocation technology is becoming more and more for these search providers (including bing and Yahoo!) to bring you personalized results. It's helpful to the person, and they allow for convenience as well. The key is to just be weary on what you search for if you don't want to sell yourself so much to google.

I'm perfectly fine with most search engines collecting some information if it means that my search experience will be better. (You should also be able to customize privacy settings for most search engines out there.)

I think people are more concerned how Google collects information outside of searches, anyway.

Back