• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga Shokugeki no Souma

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
    It's finally here! the moment I mentioned in an earlier post! Love how he created to what happened, was a great episode.
    You'd probably be enjoying the show a lot more now. What with the stuff that happened in the latest episode, you know~

The show is finally getting to the more exciting bits. I'm really happy about that. <3; The whole Shinomiya fight was pretty nice but there are so many more exciting things to come hnnnnnggg I can't wait! ;;

Latest EP:
    She's finally here!
    Spoiler:

On a related note, my current smartphone wallpaper is Shokugeki no Soma based. Here again, she looks da besto

Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    Episode 14 happened. OST decided to jump up to god tier for some reason. They lacked the intense art of the manga but made up for it with that music. I'm glad my favourite part of the arc got such good treatment.

Also something about Alice feels off, like when she pouted I couldn't help but think it looked strange. Maybe the contrasts between goofy and serious Alice is more apparent in the manga but just sort of doesn't come across well here. Or maybe it's her voice. I can't quite put my finger on it. Oh well. The anime in general feels way less serious/intense than the manga so this episode was a nice surprise.

derozio

Years
    Definitely would agree on the OST. It was just very fitting - loved how they went with a more energetic and faster paced version of the OST we hear when any kind of cooking is involved in the series. <3;

And I felt that too. Something felt off about her when she said "you're a complex person" to Yukihira, pouted and went off. It is probably her voice acting, I think. While she's not bad per se, I don't really think she's as good a fit for Alice as, say, Matsuoka is for Soma.

Either way, looks like they're gonna skip over Karaage arc, no? And if they're planning on doing the entirety of Autumn Election then the rest of the manga covered will be rushed as fuck. And I wouldn't want that. Here's to hope they take a good pace and hopefully keep the rest for the next season or something. I would hate for a show as good as this to fall victim to bad pacing.

Anyway, with the Training Camp arc over, seems like it is finally time for a new OP! I've been waiting for one for a while now. :p

Years
    I won't mind if they skip that arc, it was one of the weaker parts imo. I might be biased because I don't like Nikumi heh. I don't think they could fit the entire autumn election arc into the next ten episodes so I wouldn't be surprised if they have a 1-cour second season or something set for later on.

If they do skip the karaage arc then I could probably see them reaching the end of the preliminaries. They did have Akira show up a few times so I'd assume they'd get far enough to show him off.

derozio

Years
    Karaage arc is as good as skipped with "Asura"'s appearance next episode. Unless they've decided to reorder how things go from the chapters. But I liked Karaage arc for what it was. I'd agree that it wasn't among the better parts of the manga but I'm a Nikumi fan so it was great to see more of her there. :p Still, leaving it out means that we won't ever get it adapted in the anime format. Which would suck :(

Unless it gets adapted as an OVA. Which I can TOTALLY see happening actually now that I think about it. The nature of the arc makes it easy to adapt it as a one-off 30-40 minute episode. So that's a possibility.

Now what remains is the question of the elections. I personally believe they won't cover the entirety of the elections too. Maybe the prelims, yeah. That'd probably be a good point to stop at. And I've been told that the series' popularity makes it almost guaranteed that it'd get a second season - both the anime and manga have been going strong, it seems. Which gives me a little hope.

I don't know, man. Shokugeki is one of my fave ongoing series and I'd hate for it to get driven into dirt by shitty pacing. So I'm slightly worried. But all will probably be made clear by the kind of pacing the next two episodes take. Let's just hope for the best, I guess...

derozio

Years
    EP14:

Loli power, now you see it, plebians?!
    Just one loli can save everything!
    I usually don't care about lolis but...that one was adorable. And it is true. The fact that she saved Souma is indeed true. Which is why she got a very well deserved identity - she's a named character despite having only one scene to her in the series due to the fact that she played a very crucial role for Souma haha.

Anyway, I watched the series again with a friend. From the first episode. And it was an utter blast. Would've been perfect if we could've seen the latest episode too but that just didn't work out. Why, you ask? Because the latest episode got replaced by a recap episode of sorts with some appearance by the voice actors and stuff. Episode 14.5, more or less.

Episode 15 will come out next week. I'm really, really disappointed and the wait is excruciating. But at least we have a proper date. Not like a certain other series that has had its finale postponed untill further notice. o3o;

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    Spoiler: spoilers for way later in the manga
    I just want to see Souma beating Hayama's Ass !
    I'm sick of Souma losing to this guy only because he has ''Jun'' .

Last edited by a moderator:

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years
    New opening and ending! (only one of them is passable)

EP 15.
    Spoiler:

derozio

Years
    I have a feeling that I'll definitely get used to and will probably warm up to the Opening. It looks cool visually (except those fonts. They look ugly. The ones used for character intro! :/). It makes the show look much more like a stereotypical shounen anime - which may or may not be a bad thing depending on how you look at things. I like it myself. But yeah, like I said, song itself will need a bit of listening to for it to become something I'd hum every once in a while. :p ED, on the other hand....yeah. Doesn't hold a candle to SPICE. SPICE was an amazing ED. While this is not even passable. The song is terrible. :(

The OP spoils a certain thing, too. Most fans won't understand shit but the especially perceptive ones will probably understand the implications of the scene I'm referring to. :p

As for the episode itself, it served as a build up episode. And I thought it worked pretty well for what it was. Definitely think the Karaage arc will be adapted in an OVA format (it is a good standalone work so that's fine). But yeah, like you mention, Arc, I'm worried about the moon scene shown in the opening. If that is where the anime is planning to end this season at, then we're in for a rushed ride. Rushed as fuck.

But then again, maybe it is just us overthinking things and they're showing it just for the opening to look cool and shit. After all, some of the characters that SHOULD show up if they adapt till that part of the manga do not show up in the opening at all. And the pacing they're going with for now implies that they'll take it slow. And I'll be incredibly happy if they do so.

ANYWAY, Soma's reaction was awesome. Loved seeing Megumi and the other chicks fawning over Jouichirou and thinking about how hot future Soma might become lol. Best part of the episode apart from seeing chef Inui and her antics again (she's such a joy to watch on-screen oh my fucking god I love her so much). Good stuff to show up once the arc starts properly! <3;

ALSO, CAN'T WAIT TO SEE ERINA'S REACTION WHEN SHE FIGURES OUT
    Spoiler:

derozio

Years
    Newest episode was VERY slow. Guess they gotta give the Dad-Son confrontation its due spotlight. But I found myself very bored with this episode lol. Anywho, looks like they aren't gonna skip any content from the manga after all. I'm pretty happy about that.

This almost confirms that they're gonna go at a good pace and end things properly and leave the rest for next season. Which'll be perfect. <3;

Also, minor thing - Looks like they changed a little bit in the OP - I see some green veggie instead of tomato in the sequence with megumi towards the end. :3

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    Finally caught up. With each episode I like the new opening more. It's cohesive, looks great, has a lot of flair, and has a lot more personality and less filler than the original opening (not that the original opening was worse for it, just that everything here is Shokugeki no Souma).

As for the ending, I don't particularly think it's terrible. Not as good as Spice, but this one, I think is kinda kooky and unique. Not necessarily for the better, but not really for worse. It's creepy and lyrically sporadic- I don't mind it nearly as much as I did the first time I listened to it. It's got its own flavor and sells it in practically every way, which I think is commendable, at least.

Years
    I actually really like the new ED. Obviously it's no Spice, but I think its one of the catchier ED's I've heard overall.

I feel like the Souma/Dad battle and Karaage Arc were both pretty much the in between for the really good parts, I'm not fond of them. The training camp arc was the first great part and the autumn elections is the next one. I'm excited to see these next few episodes.

Ullion

[color=#00cc99][i]Simic Synthesis[/i][/color]
    Years
    I almost feel like the random visit of Souma's dad was to let the audience see Souma actually lose a battle for once. Although the match where he helped Megumi out could also be considered a loss on his part, too. It is nice to see him being human, though~

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    Really hoping all of this Tadokoro business goes somewhere. And by somewhere, I mean it has visible effects on her character and as a cook rather than simply being something she can thank Souma for sometime in the future. As it stands, I think she has a lot of potential, especially as a character who is reticent but also exceptional, and I really think they've brought in a wonderful device of a character to make it so that she can stand on her own two legs without changing her archetype. And if they go all the way with that idea, I'll be happy, as it's rare that you get a reticent accessory character that really grows into her own. Problem is, I really worry that any development that we do actually see will be for the sake of plot convenience (and will be forgotten or lost at the drop of a hat) rather than character development for the sake of it.

Also, fun episode today. I have to wonder about the pacing in the coming 3 weeks, though, but that's neither here nor there. Also, I noticed I'm quite the fan of the current Soma cook uniform. Fits the tonal shift, and looks pretty badass.

Dter ic

Fire Emblem....[b]HEROES[/b]
    Years
    I have to wonder about the pacing in the coming 3 weeks, though, but that's neither here nor there. Also, I noticed I'm quite the fan of the current Soma cook uniform. Fits the tonal shift, and looks pretty badass.

I have a feeling they'll manage to finish the preliminaries by 2 episodes max then in the last episode prepare to hype up for the rest of the elections and end in a cliffhanger we will then cry b/c we'll have to wait for a season 2

Spoiler:

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    Whelp, Megumi won me over. Didn't think she'd do it, but this episode in a few short minutes pretty much cemented that I like her as a character. I obviously won't spoil what happens and...honestly, the results didn't have anything to do with it. But this episode was significant because it made me care about what the results would be and her growth as a cook. She didn't significantly develop as a character but it highlighted her heritage, her potential, and her personality all very well.

So I'm definitely a Tadokoro supporter.

Years
    Episode 23 is a visual representation as to why I believe Nikumi brings nothing worthwhile to the series.

I'm looking forward to the finale, and where the current arc of the manga will lead.

Back