• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Should X and Y get an update?

FlamingRage

Can you feel my rage?
Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2015
    One thing we haven't gotten any word on yet is if a patch will be released for X and Y making it possible to trade over the new mega stones. In past games, when a new game came out in the same generation with a new form, users of the older games would not be able to use (or even see in battle) these new pokemon. But with X and Y, they have the ability to make updates. They've already released 3 in order to fix some bugs.

They refused to make any DLC for X and Y because they wanted it to be a fair and complete game for everyone. Will they hold on to these morals and let people who don't buy the new games have a level playing field with everyone else?

What are your thoughts? Would you like an update for X and Y? Discuss away!

Sceptile90

The Master of YamiNoGames
    Years
  • Ninja'd! I think they will because if you battle with someone with, let's say, Mega Pidgeot, X and Y will try to load an unexisting model, thus crashing the game. Plus, it'd make it good to pick up a Pidgey, Weedle, Slowpoke, Audino and other such Pokémon obtainable early on in the games in either a regular run or a Nuzlocke.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Someone needs to make a sticky topic on the specs of a 3DS. the 3DS is not capable of rewriting the data of a physical game cartridge. it WOULD be possible for digital only copies of games, absolutely, it would be just like an app on a smartphone or tablet where the overall program is replaced by the new one (basically) but the 3DS does not have the ability to rewrite data on a physical game card.

The patches and corrections that have been released are to fix programming errors within the 3Ds or how the 3Ds interprets data from the game or online. They can't add whole data into the game in the form of new pokemon, items, and so forth.

Now, the fact that Torchic with it's Blazikenite being available from day one should be a very clear indication that the data for all the items and mega evolutions is ALREADY in teh game data. (Since it was given out to everyone with either game, there was no need to go through the data to look for where the Blazikenite was stored and Hello? Mega Latios and Latias? :-) ) Just because the hackers haven't found the location of all the data doesn't mean it's not there. Look how many months it took for them to discover the shiny forms of Xernes, Yveltal and Zygarde. If it was that easy to get all the data, they would have released the shiny forms at the same time they discovered Diancie, Volcanion and Hoopa.

You make the claim:
    "when a new game came out in the same generation with a new form, users of the older games would not be able to use (or even see in battle) these new pokemon."
    but what EXACTLY are you referring to? The only pokemon I am aware of (and I did skip gens 4 and 5 so there are easily tons I don't know about) are Deoxys from gen 3, and that wasn't a matter of older games not being able to use/see them as much as version exclusive forms of Deoxys being in play. (Ruby/Sapphire got normal form and that's all you could see when battling, Fire Red got (i think) attack form and that's all you could see when battling, LEaf Green got (i think) Defenses form and that's all you could see when battling and Emerald got speed form and that's all you could see when battling. Fire Red and Leaf green came out at the same time and Emeral came out after all of them, so it was obviously a concious decision by the programmers to only show that form in each game for whatever reason. It wasn't until gen 4 that you could have multiple forms in the same game. And the other being Kyurem, but again, that seems to be simply a matter of the item needed for transformation being in a later game and, more importantly, an additional reason to buy two more of the games you already own! ;-) But other than those two pokemon, I have absolutely no recollection of any pokemon (in the same gen) being barred from going back to the old game. Technically Kyruem Black and White can't even go to a future game without first being diffused into it's two composite forms

Years
  • Maybe we need to sent the physical copies in like when you wanted the Eon Ticket in RS to receive theupdate. For Digital copies you can probably just update them. Nintendo has always been fair so I think there Will be an update!

Years
  • This is something that i'm sure was addressed before - people have said there will probably be an XY patch that will allow them to see the ORAS Mega Evolutions without problems. But will it allow them for use in those games? I would imagine they'll at least be legit for Wi-Fi battles.

ShadowEdge

Pokemon Master!
    Years
  • I don't see why not, it would be foolish not too. I mean X and Y is still relatively new and Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire uses the same engine as Pokemon X and Y so I don't think we'll have a problem guys ^_^

Years
  • I think they'll likely update the games with a patch that'll allow the use of the OR/AS Mega Evolutions. It'd be kinda stupid if they didn't update X/Y because that would make them severely inferior to OR/AS if that's the case.

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
    Years
  • This is something that i'm sure was addressed before - people have said there will probably be an XY patch that will allow them to see the ORAS Mega Evolutions without problems. But will it allow them for use in those games? I would imagine they'll at least be legit for Wi-Fi battles.

Clearly it will, otherwise what would be the point.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I have to agree with everyone else; an update will likely occur. Without it, almost all mega-evolutions introduced in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire probably won't be compatible. Kind of glad about it, too, to be honest; if they'd included their data beforehand like Mega-Latis, hackers would have found them and revealed their info, and by then, none of those mega-forms would have been considered to be special by us (well, at least some). It's a good strategy, I believe!

Years
  • From Serebii:

Edit @ 20:00: It has also been confirmed in an interview with NTower that, although X & Y are compatible with Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire, X & Y will not receive a patch to include the new Mega Evolutions and Primal Reversions.

The interview in question isn't in English with no solid translation as far as I can see, but since the games will still be compatible I imagine this means the new Megas/Primals will still work regardless. I don't know what they'd do about it otherwise outside of just not allowing the new Mega Stones to be used when battling someone using X or Y which...doesn't seem like a particularly good idea.

Years
  • They'll probably get out a patch by that time! They've clearly been making an effort to have backwards compatibility between XY and ORAS, considering that they're gonna allow XY in tournaments still. (At least that's what I heard!)

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    From Serebii:

The interview in question isn't in English with no solid translation as far as I can see, but since the games will still be compatible I imagine this means the new Megas/Primals will still work regardless. I don't know what they'd do about it otherwise outside of just not allowing the new Mega Stones to be used when battling someone using X or Y which...doesn't seem like a particularly good idea.

Its all possible that you can't use the new megas against XY. The new tournament season is going to focus on ORAS only with them needing to be caught in ORAS and part of that Pokedex which wouldn't be possible to tell on an XY game if ORAS has a new symbol similar to Kalos' hexagon.

We're updating and have to use the newer software to compete. Makes sense to do it this way and leave the older games obsolete.

They'll probably get out a patch by that time! They've clearly been making an effort to have backwards compatibility between XY and ORAS, considering that they're gonna allow XY in tournaments still. (At least that's what I heard!)

From what I read only ORAS can be used in the new tournament season. Compatibility doesn't exclusively mean that they can battle against one another. Gen 3 is compatible with Gen 4 they cannot battle but you can send from 3 to 4. We can trade between XY and ORAS except the new items since there won't be an update. The new Megas may not transfer over during battle since they get stat, ability, and type changes. Some get exclusive abilities that aren't in the coding for XY.

Years
  • Its all possible that you can't use the new megas against XY. The new tournament season is going to focus on ORAS only with them needing to be caught in ORAS and part of that Pokedex which wouldn't be possible to tell on an XY game if ORAS has a new symbol similar to Kalos' hexagon.

We're updating and have to use the newer software to compete. Makes sense to do it this way and leave the older games obsolete.

From what I read only ORAS can be used in the new tournament season. Compatibility doesn't exclusively mean that they can battle against one another. Gen 3 is compatible with Gen 4 they cannot battle but you can send from 3 to 4. We can trade between XY and ORAS except the new items since there won't be an update. The new Megas may not transfer over during battle since they get stat, ability, and type changes. Some get exclusive abilities that aren't in the coding for XY.

Ah, you're probably right!

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I don't believe this would do them (or us, as fans) any good, considering that X and Y are current-gen, but am definitely intrigued to see how they go about all of that.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I don't believe this would do them (or us, as fans) any good, considering that X and Y are current-gen, but am definitely intrigued to see how they go about all of that.
    It certainly does make XY seem less attractive, but in some ways it'll make an eventual 'Z' version more attractive to buy than either of those two of those who don't own any of the Kalos games, as it'll have everything OrAs has in terms of Megas (well data of them), and likely even more. I just hope they update OrAs, or release De at the same time as Z to have up to date Hoenn and Kalos games.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • My view on updating XY, is that if you used the updated content on one 3DS, and then tried to use a 3DS that didn't have the update, there would be problems. I don't think that they want to not update, I think they can't update.

Oh, also, there's no reason that XY shouldn't be able to battle with ORAS. You could use Pokemon in new forms in Platinum and B2W2 when battling with other games from that gen, you just couldn't see the different form. My guess is that new megas will show mega animation but look the same on XY so that they know that it happened.

Years
  • My view on updating XY, is that if you used the updated content on one 3DS, and then tried to use a 3DS that didn't have the update, there would be problems. I don't think that they want to not update, I think they can't update.

Easily handled by forcing players to update in order to battle/trade/etc. with others.

Back