• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Silver or Gold?

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
  • So, pretty simple run of the mill question!

pokemon-gold-and-silver_989.jpg

Naturally this poll would exclude Crystal, but if you guys had to choose between Pokemon Gold or Pokemon Silver, which pokemon game would you pick, and why?

Years
  • I'd go for Silver. I prefer Lugia and the exclusives that it comes with. I have a tendency to choose the "Blue" versions of Pokemon games. (Blue, Silver, Sapphire, Diamond, White, White 2, X, Alpha Sapphire, Moon.)

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 19, 2019
    Silver 5ever. Prettier sprites, Lugia is more useful, and just it being my first game. Gold doesn't stand a chance.

Years
  • Gold. I HATE Whirl Islands so I don't care about getting Lugia early in the game, however, I prefer having Ho-oH anyways, especially with Sacred Ash which is just an OP item (clone it a few times, make sure your Pokemon are high enough level and the Pokemon League is easy asf, okay it's cheap but if you really can't win it's a possibility).

But I don't dislike Lugia, I just dislike Whirl Islands that I find Ho-oH easier to get. Which is my main reason, which I know is dumb, but I don't care.

(Anyways, I would still pick Crystal over both of then anytime).

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    I'd go with Silver. I've always been a bigger fan of Lugia as opposed to Ho-Oh. I think Pokemon: The Movie 2000 has much to do with that. From memory, I don't think Ho-Oh has ever been affiliated with an entire movie.

Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2017
    Gold. Hear me out...

- Ho-oh's name backwards is Ho-oh.
    - Fire/flying kinda ew
    - Its pretty uwu
    - Uh...
    SACRED ASH OP.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    SILVER

It's the one I first picked up when I got both Gold and Silver and it's most certainly the one that I would pick up over the other one many years later. Lugia is still my favorite legendary and Silver is just more my aesthetic than Gold ever was.

Years
  • I preferred Gold over Silver. I liked the version exclusives more, and though I'm a bigger fan of Lugia than Ho-Oh, you actually find Lugia at a higher level in Gold, which was a bonus for me!

Years
  • Based on the fact Soul Silver was the remake I played, and the fact Lugia is the cover legendary I like better, I'd pick Silver.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Honestly, the version exclusives aren't really the big deal for me here (I mean, Petilil isn't in this game after all), it's the sprites. And I generally prefer the Silver sprites as opposed to the Gold. But I mean, the differences between Gold and Silver are really so minute that I don't have a very divisive preference.

Years
  • Personally, I don't think it's too important which game to get because you can catch both legendaries, unlike what we're used to now. I've owned Gold, Soul Silver & Heart Gold so I'm happy to play either.

Whilst I've never used Primeape on Gold, it's one of my favourites so I suppose Gold wins the version exclusive competition.

I do prefer Ho-oh over Lugia (though both are great), so I suppose I would prefer Gold.

From memory, I don't think Ho-Oh has ever been affiliated with an entire movie.

It's sharing the legendary role with Marshadow in the next film. I imagine that film will struggle to compare to Lugia's though.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • my first choice of the two was silver purely because i prefer the colour. on reflection, i actually do prefer lugia to ho-oh so i'd still pick silver over gold.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Gold however it isn't without its faults.

Gold meant as part of the story, you got to climb a gigantic ancient tower to find Ho-Oh. It was massive and took a lot of effort and coordination to scale. RIGHT at the top you would find the crowning reward - Ho-Oh.

The absolute best kind of reward. It was a difficult battle but it was worth it. So were all the amazing items! To me this was the best experience as a kid. I was climbing Ho-Oh's massive tower and getting my hair plaited by my Nan's sister in law. I have a photo of this and something about this memory is SOOO amazing.

Lugia on the other hand well whirl islands was just a gigantic pain in the was. Nothing mythical or magical about it. Just... there.

But Gold not having Meowth was such an awful idea. It's like one of the most well known Pokemon due to the anime and you make it an exclusive? Oh how I would have LOVED to find a Meowth running around at night in Gold.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    Gold, mainly because it was my first second generation game, my main game of the generation, and my favorite game, period. But if I were analyzing it today, with no prior knowledge, I would still favor Gold. I prefer gold to silver as metals go, and gold medalists rank higher than silver ones. In some ways, I like Lugia better, but you get a higher level Lugia in Gold than you do in Silver, which I've always liked. As for version exclusives, I'm a huge bear fan, and Gold features the wonder Teddiursa/Ursaring line. While I like Phanpy/Donphan as well, the bears win out for me, and are probably more important to me than any of the other Gold exclusives. (On net, I do like the Gold exclusive list better than Silver's, even Teddiursa/Ursaring aside. And unlike Forever, I personally don't really care about Meowth...)

BronzeSwagger

Sugar&Spice
    Years
  • My first-ever pokemon game was Silver, but I may go Gold this time around as I still play my Silver and Crystal cartridge's irl on my Limited Edition Gen 2 Pokemon GBC. :')
    I have both SoulSilver and HeartGold as well.

The original Gold was just something I never owned.

Back