• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Simple Questions (PLEASE USE THE SEARCH BUTTON BEFORE ASKING)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • How do I change the place you go when your pokemon faint in the beginning? When I test my hack I appear in a wall in the starting house. How can I fix this?

StΩrmyStory

Novice Pokemon ROM hacker
    Years
    • Seen Feb 24, 2014
    No one has answered my question and I still need an answer, fortunately it has been 2 days so I am going to repost.

I tried starting my own thread for this question but the thread was taken down, I honestly don't know where I should post this question but I think this thread is the best place.

My question concerns pokegen

Okay, I feel the best way to explain this is by starting from the beginning.

1. I opened an unedited pokemonplatinum.nds file, everything worked properly, and as soon as I could save, I did. Doing so created a .dsv file under BATTERY

2. I opened the platinum.nds file once again, this time with the a dsv file in the battery folder, and everything worked fine, it started off right where i saved.

3. This is where i started to have trouble. I opened the dsv file with pokegen and put an abomasnow in one of the PCs.

4. After that, I did file > save file from pokegen and started up my platinum.nds file once more

5. This time my game didn't start off where I saved, but instead just started off with professor rowan.

What am I doing wrong? How can I get it to start off at the place where I saved?

Joexv

ManMadeOfGouda joexv.github.io
    Years
  • No one has answered my question and I still need an answer, fortunately it has been 2 days so I am going to repost.

I tried starting my own thread for this question but the thread was taken down, I honestly don't know where I should post this question but I think this thread is the best place.

My question concerns pokegen

Okay, I feel the best way to explain this is by starting from the beginning.

1. I opened an unedited pokemonplatinum.nds file, everything worked properly, and as soon as I could save, I did. Doing so created a .dsv file under BATTERY

2. I opened the platinum.nds file once again, this time with the a dsv file in the battery folder, and everything worked fine, it started off right where i saved.

3. This is where i started to have trouble. I opened the dsv file with pokegen and put an abomasnow in one of the PCs.

4. After that, I did file > save file from pokegen and started up my platinum.nds file once more

5. This time my game didn't start off where I saved, but instead just started off with professor rowan.

What am I doing wrong? How can I get it to start off at the place where I saved?

I dont think pokegen supports dsv files. Use the sav file format. I use it all the time and nothing happens to my game. Hope this helps!

Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2023
    Ok, so I've been searching for several hours now but I haven't found any tutorials on editing and creating custom voicegroups and it's really starting to bug me as I'm intending to use music that uses custom instrument's in my romhack but I don't have the foggiest idea on editing a pre-existing voicegroup or creating a custom one from scratch, also how does Multi Sample work exactly?

Last edited:

Joexv

ManMadeOfGouda joexv.github.io
    Years
  • How do I change the place you go when your pokemon faint in the beginning? When I test my hack I appear in a wall in the starting house. How can I fix this?
    Im not 100% sure on this but i think you need to have a flight position on the map where you want to appear. the best place(in my opinion) to put it in the begining of the game is either right outside your house or at the edge of the town.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • I'm having a little trouble understanding how double battles work. Is it not possible to have a double battle with 2 random types of trainers, or am I doing something wrong? There are a couple points where I'd like to have double battles, one with 2 magma grunts, and 1 with a bird keeper and a Collector.

Oh, and another question, is there a way to make a sprite move backwards? (Move left while facing right, for example.) I can't seem to find any movements that do that.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Hey there people,

just recently I got into modding the G/S games and there are a couple things that I still don't understand. First of all, I'm using JohtoMap, a really great tool that even allows a newb like me to get something done. I fear the tool won't be enough to cover up all my ideas, but it's a great tool to start out with. I'd like to thank the maker of this tool a lot!

Now to my actual problem:

I'd like to change the main character sprite. Now this question has been asked a couple times I'm sure, but I just couldn't find anything that helps me do that. Say I want to move around with the rival's sprite, and I want him to use my sprite, I'm not really sure where to begin and I'm not sure if this can be done with JohtoMap. I tried a couple things but they all failed thus far, that's why I hope for your assistance.

Moreover, a bug that I just noticed, the sprites of a few trainers changed to my own sprite (just colored differently), even though I didn't modify those. All I did so far was change a few maps. When I enter a building and exit said building, the sprite sometimes changes back to the correct one. I attached a picture of what it looks like.

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
    Years
  • I'm having a little trouble understanding how double battles work. Is it not possible to have a double battle with 2 random types of trainers, or am I doing something wrong? There are a couple points where I'd like to have double battles, one with 2 magma grunts, and 1 with a bird keeper and a Collector.

Oh, and another question, is there a way to make a sprite move backwards? (Move left while facing right, for example.) I can't seem to find any movements that do that.

1) Only in Emerald is there actually code for this.

2) Not that I know of. You could fake it though by switching sprites to one with reversed everything.

Years
    • Seen Jul 6, 2019
    Are the pokemon animations in Emerald handled by ASM? I'm just curious because I'm going to be using Chaos Rush's sprites, and if I need a secondary sprite sheet for all my pokemon, I'm kinda screwed lol

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
    Years
  • Are the pokemon animations in Emerald handled by ASM? I'm just curious because I'm going to be using Chaos Rush's sprites, and if I need a secondary sprite sheet for all my pokemon, I'm kinda screwed lol

You could just reuse the first frame as the second frame.

Animations have their own scripting language and not a terrible amount of research has gone into them.

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
    Years
  • Are the pokemon animations in Emerald handled by ASM? I'm just curious because I'm going to be using Chaos Rush's sprites, and if I need a secondary sprite sheet for all my pokemon, I'm kinda screwed lol

The movements are handled by asm, but you can import 2 frames for the front using a-series or gen 3 hacking suite.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2016
    I haven't anything about this, but is there a way to disable gaining Experience points in a Pokemon rom. I'm not very familiar with creating AR/Gameshark Codes, but I'd like know.

BLAx501!

Pokemon Flux
    Years
  • Is it possible to skip (or delete) the animation in Fire Red when some item is used on a Pokemon? I specially want to remove the one when using a TM or HM...

Jehowi

Your Master Superior
    Years
  • I've encountered the following problem in advance map:

https://youtu.be/xW-e3_wTdio

Basically I changed the Pewter museum map a bit and I edited the movement permissions as you can see at the beginning of the video. But when I test it, I can never, ever go to the right except for at the entrance of the museum. Even worse, when I go to the left, I can't go back anymore at all. I think I didn't screw up the movement permissions... So any solution to this?

Edit: Video is still being uploaded on Youtube, will be there in aprox. 5 mins

Last edited:

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
    Years
  • I've encountered the following problem in advance map:

https://youtu.be/xW-e3_wTdio

Basically I changed the Pewter museum map a bit and I edited the movement permissions as you can see at the beginning of the video. But when I test it, I can never, ever go to the right except for at the entrance of the museum. Even worse, when I go to the left, I can't go back anymore at all. I think I didn't screw up the movement permissions... So any solution to this?

Edit: Video is still being uploaded on Youtube, will be there in aprox. 5 mins

It may be a behaviour byte problem as there is a specific behaviour which prevents movement to the right but still allows the player to move up/ left/ down. Check out that specific tile in the tile viewer and change its byte to 00 if that's the case.

Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2014
    On US Ruby, is it possible to change which palette is called by behavior byte 06 (the sand you can find wild Pokemon in in the desert) without changing it for behavior 21 (used for normal sand and beaches)? I'd imagine I would just have to find the pointer within 06'a routine and change it to point to a different or new palette, but the internet bill didn't get paid on time and I'm in my phone, so research is really difficult.

Also, how might I go about making it hail in battle when it's snowing on the map (using the falling ash weather from Route 113)? Liquid Crystal did this but I have no idea where to start. I haven't done a lot of research on weather.

And I am interested in learning how to do this stuff on my own so I don't have to ask in the future.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
    Years
  • Ok, so I've been searching for several hours now but I haven't found any tutorials on editing and creating custom voicegroups and it's really starting to bug me as I'm intending to use music that uses custom instrument's in my romhack but I don't have the foggiest idea on editing a pre-existing voicegroup or creating a custom one from scratch, also how does Multi Sample work exactly?
    Creating a new voicegroup is as simple as pointing a song you want to use that voicegroup to a new location in the ROM that is large enough to hold the instruments for it. You can do that in Sappy by either selecting a new location for a voicegroup while assembling a song or by double-clicking the specified hex location next to "Voices" in the upper part of the tool. From there you just start adding new instruments to it with the "Edit Voice table" option. The same option is used for editing voices in a pre-established voice table.

There's a multitude of options from there when it comes to editing voices. In particular, DirectSound lets you use a sample as an instrument for songs. The editable pointer is to where you store the sample for that voice, which you add to the game with the "Import sample" option. The rest of the options are a bit more in-depth. You might need to experiment a little with the Atk/Dec/Sus/Rel values to get the voice to your liking. Most FireRed instruments tend to have them set at 255/2xx/0/1xx (or 2xx, Release varies a bit with these instruments). You'll most likely want to keep the rest of the options for that voice set to defaults (no check boxes filled, starting note 60 - C3).

Multi-Sampling lets you have different samples play for different notes. Say you want a trumpet sample to play for C3, but you want a different instrument (like, say, a guitar) to play for C#3. That's possible with Multi-Sampling. When you set an instrument to be a Multi-Sample, you give it two ROM offsets: one to another (possibly new) voicegroup set up specifically to hold the Multi-Sample voices, and another to determine which voices in that Multi-Sample voicegroup play for what notes. It's usage over changing the voice in the song itself is limited, but its still there for those who need/want it.

Obviously you'll want to use a recent version of Sappy (like Mod 17.1) to take full advantage of those things. If any of this information is inaccurate, I'm sure gogojjtech or someone else will point out what's wrong!

SK3

Pokemon Hacking Company™ CEO
    Years
  • Is the import function in A-Map safe to use? I had problems with it before, but I'm not sure if that was because of an error on my part.

RemixinROMulus

Crit happens...
    Years
  • Does anyone know of an easy way of finding text offsets in the Japanese Pokemon Green rom? I'm working on an English translation. Info on 1st Gen is quite sparse.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back