• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Simple Questions (PLEASE USE THE SEARCH BUTTON BEFORE ASKING)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ExitWound

Boggle
Years
    • Seen Sep 22, 2016
    Pleeease answer this... I don't know what to do...
    When I open up my rom in advance map and navigate to a certain map, this is what I get:

The windows are black...
    If I re-open my rom and navigate to that map FIRST, it shows up normal... But if I navigate to the building shown in the picture, THEN go to this map, the windows turn black... Why is that?
    I thought that maybe it was because of the Day and Night system?? Because at night, the windows show up as the regular palette, as if it were daytime...

Here is the whole map by the way:
    Spoiler:

M0ZEPH

Formally 'Resultz' - Returned!
    Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2014
    Is there a Physical/special split patch for Emerald that doesn't change anything else?

If not, how would one go about recreating the effects of said patch?

Years
    • Seen Jul 13, 2014
    Okay so I have begun using Advance Map 1.92 and not sure if this has happen to you guys or not XD But for those who are using windows 7, again not sure if this happens to everyone. But when you start and editing the maps around in the maptab. MAKE sure that you drag the scroll bar, and not using the scroll up and down button. It causes the program to freeze up and unresponsive.

So with that said, I am curious of something and that is editing the already existing routes. I want to know if that when I go and edit the existing routes, and they are already connected too the next areas and such. Will my editing of the map, cause problems when the player or tester tries and goes too the next route?

For example like said, I want to make Pallet town a lot bigger and not so...small XD With two existing connections to Route 1, and Route...I believe 20? The surfing portion south of pallet town. If I expand the town will it mess up with the transitions to Route 1 or the surfing section?

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
    Years
  • Okay so I have begun using Advance Map 1.92 and not sure if this has happen to you guys or not XD But for those who are using windows 7, again not sure if this happens to everyone. But when you start and editing the maps around in the maptab. MAKE sure that you drag the scroll bar, and not using the scroll up and down button. It causes the program to freeze up and unresponsive.

So with that said, I am curious of something and that is editing the already existing routes. I want to know if that when I go and edit the existing routes, and they are already connected too the next areas and such. Will my editing of the map, cause problems when the player or tester tries and goes too the next route?

For example like said, I want to make Pallet town a lot bigger and not so...small XD With two existing connections to Route 1, and Route...I believe 20? The surfing portion south of pallet town. If I expand the town will it mess up with the transitions to Route 1 or the surfing section?

It will but you can change them (idk why you wouldn't, you're rom hacking :P)

Years
    • Seen Jul 13, 2014
    Ah lol cool thanks for the info, I wanted to be sure so this way. I won't forget to re-edit the connections when I start editing the maps around XD Don't want to block players from the routes, when I go and turn things around in existing map files lol.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
    Years
  • I'm not sure if anyone has bothered to ask anything about this before, and thus there would be little to nothing on it, but I figured I may as well ask: Is there any information on the functions of the in-game Options menu (FR specifically)? Such as where in the ROM the functions are located, where the selected option choices save to, changing/extending the available options, etc.

Veng3anc3

Woah..
    Years
  • Hi again!

Still facing the same problem. I can't make any sense of it what so ever. Tried using a new rom, re-crating my maps and adding the connections and I just get the same error, so its not a bad rom. I just can't figure it out. I'm willing to send anybody a patch to see if they can figure it out?

MrDollSteak

Formerly known as 11bayerf1
    Years
  • I'm not sure if anyone has bothered to ask anything about this before, and thus there would be little to nothing on it, but I figured I may as well ask: Is there any information on the functions of the in-game Options menu (FR specifically)? Such as where in the ROM the functions are located, where the selected option choices save to, changing/extending the available options, etc.

A good place to start would be finding the strings for the different Menu option names in a Hex editor.
    Then searching for pointers to those different strings.
    My guess is that they'd be stored in a table.
    Then you just need to search for the start of the table, and then search for that pointer.
    Then if you're familiar with ASM looking at how the routine works in calling the names.
    There'd probably be a pointer in the area to a separate table which'd load the ASM routines for each menu option.

Last edited:

kearnseyboy6

Aussie's Toughest Mudder
    Years
    • Seen Jun 22, 2019
    I'm trying to add new Items but the images keep freezing and im pretty sure the images and palettes are compressed. But I can't find any tool that inserts them compressed.

My game keeps freezing when I open the items... Does anyone know a tool?

wheat32

smittywheat
    Years
  • Hi! I'm using eXtreme Script Editor, and I want to know if it's possible to use msgbox @x 0x5 to give options other than yes/no, and if there can be more than two options.
    Thanks in advance!

kearnseyboy6

Aussie's Toughest Mudder
    Years
    • Seen Jun 22, 2019
    Hi! I'm using eXtreme Script Editor, and I want to know if it's possible to use msgbox @x 0x5 to give options other than yes/no, and if there can be more than two options.
    Thanks in advance!

Nope you can't. YOu can however use multichoice 0x## and just look them up in the appendix. They edit the other multichoices in the game like EEVEE, VAPOREON etc..

Then use multichoice editor to edit the Words

Years
    • Seen Jan 31, 2016
    You know there is a formula, right?:

So yeah, more info here:

Since the variable b is base exp, you can see that no matter what, it will always be at least one. The only way to remove exp gain (and take the fun out the game:P) is to use ASM and hack the exp gain routine.

Thanks for the quick reply, though I fear it's not as simple as it seems.

I was already aware that there's an EXP formula, and if I'm not mistaken, the one you've linked applies to the Black/White games since it makes an inclusion for level difference between yours and the enemy trainer's pokes.

As I've mentioned previously, I'm modding pokemon Ruby, so the formula relevant to my problem is the other one:

▲EXP = a x b x t x L / 7 x s

Since the variables multiply directly, I can't see where the extra +1 would come in, unless the game engine's hard-coded to round up the value. More importantly, I wouldn't know where to even look for something like that if it exists.

You mentioned something called ASM though. What is that? A script editor of some sort? Or is it one of those programs that digs through the hexadecimal archives?

P.S. People do nuzlockes for fun, I'm just looking for a different way to spice up my playthrough. No harm in that, right?

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
    Years
  • Thanks for the quick reply, though I fear it's not as simple as it seems.

I was already aware that there's an EXP formula, and if I'm not mistaken, the one you've linked applies to the Black/White games since it makes an inclusion for level difference between yours and the enemy trainer's pokes.

As I've mentioned previously, I'm modding pokemon Ruby, so the formula relevant to my problem is the other one:

▲EXP = a x b x t x L / 7 x s

Since the variables multiply directly, I can't see where the extra +1 would come in, unless the game engine's hard-coded to round up the value. More importantly, I wouldn't know where to even look for something like that if it exists.

You mentioned something called ASM though. What is that? A script editor of some sort? Or is it one of those programs that digs through the hexadecimal archives?

P.S. People do nuzlockes for fun, I'm just looking for a different way to spice up my playthrough. No harm in that, right?

ASM = https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=299696

My bad on the formula. I was working with the BW formula hack for FR so that one looked normal.:P However, here is a quote about the regular formula from Bulbapedia: "All other Generations have used the flat formula, although each Generation generally makes its own additions or tweaks to the previous mechanics." This means that their formula is only a basis for which all others are derived.

Years
    • Seen Jul 13, 2014
    Okay this might have been asked or not, but I am still new to it and everything...But in order to test out what I have edited and such. Like the changes I made into the rom with the Advance map.

Do I have too physically play the game? In order to see if everything is working correctly? If so...how will I be able to do test out the new maps layouts and such. Without being able to go there, if I can't use fly : / [unless there is a way to do it, without needing to go through the whole intro sequence, and obtaining fly.]

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2021
    Okay this might have been asked or not, but I am still new to it and everything...But in order to test out what I have edited and such. Like the changes I made into the rom with the Advance map.

Do I have too physically play the game? In order to see if everything is working correctly? If so...how will I be able to do test out the new maps layouts and such. Without being able to go there, if I can't use fly : / [unless there is a way to do it, without needing to go through the whole intro sequence, and obtaining fly.]

Just create an additional warp event (done by increasing the number of warp events in AM) or edit an existing one. Change the "To warp No". "Map Bank" and "Map" options so that the warp goes to the map you want to try out.
    Then, place a door tile on the same spot as the event. If you do all this in the starter town, you can play until you leave your house, create a savestate and just enter the map you want.

Last edited:

ipatix

Sound Expert
    Years
  • So I searched the thread and didn't find something helpful.
    So my problem is that I want to do some various ASM researching but for some damn unknown reason my VBA SDL H (also H2 by JPAN) stopped working. The emulator always crashes upon loading a ROM (not when I don't load one, then it'll just output the quick info). Crash info is just the regular "blablabla.exe has stopped working". If you want to know all those weird crash numbers and IDs, send me a message. I personally have no clue what they mean and if they can actually help fixing the issue.
    The only thing I can really remeber was going on vacation, returning to home and see that the emulator won't work anymore. It always used to work fine without problems. I tried redownloading, resetting configs, different ROMs but none of that seemed to really help me.

So did anybody experience the same issue and knows how to fix it?

Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2014
    I'm currently hacking Fire Red. There must be some sort of corruption because I'm having a huge problem with poison. Whenever a Pokemon is poisoned, and the message pops up, "______ is hurt by poison!" the Pokemon doesn't take any damage. I'm using MrDollSteaks Decap and Attack Rombase 1.4 and I think that might have caused it. Is there anyway to fix this, any tools that allow me edit status conditions, or any other advice?

Teh Blazer

Divider of Zero
    Years
  • Pleeease answer this... I don't know what to do...
    When I open up my rom in advance map and navigate to a certain map, this is what I get:

The windows are black...
    If I re-open my rom and navigate to that map FIRST, it shows up normal... But if I navigate to the building shown in the picture, THEN go to this map, the windows turn black... Why is that?
    I thought that maybe it was because of the Day and Night system?? Because at night, the windows show up as the regular palette, as if it were daytime...

Here is the whole map by the way:
    Spoiler:

Hmm, what does it look like in-game? Are there any problems when you exit the building and look at the windows?

M0ZEPH

Formally 'Resultz' - Returned!
    Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2014
    If I make a patch of my hack and patch it onto a clean Emerald ROM with the Phys/Spec split will that ''work''?

wheat32

smittywheat
    Years
  • I've made a functional script in XSE which uses a lot of applymovements. For some reason I can't find, one of the OW sprites continues to look down after a certain part in the script. After staring at it for hours, and making a lot of changes which result in the sprite still looking down for what seems like no reason, I decided I need help.
    Here is the script (I've marked when the sprite looks down in the script) :
    Spoiler:

Also attached is a screenshot of the sprite which has the script on it, and is also the same sprite that continues to look down.
    https://imgur.com/NTVQxrf
    (you may have to copy and paste the link in the URL bar)

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back