• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Small Writing Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
Years
  • I wrote this in about 30 minutes and without any prior planning.

Gotta love procrastination

Why do I have a sudden feeling you wrote:

"Abby pushed Gunner to the side using magic. 'Screw u Gunner, my story is better than yours...' Abby said."

hmmm

Eleanor

Princess Era 🎀
    Years
  • Like other people did, I've sent a new version with really minor edits.
    basically one sentence because during the 9 additional hours I had to sleep and go to school :c
    I hope I was still in time!

Bay

Years
  • Venia Silente, Abby, Salzorrah, your entries are accepted! Forever, Cyabloom, your resubmissions are accepted!

Ok folks, now at this point submissions are no longer accepted and we're now in the judging phase. I want to thank everyone that turned in their entries, and to hang in tight while the judges look over them. The results won't be too long!

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
    Years
  • Let it be said that it seems that yes, I can write some good and fancy when under pressure.

Let that secret die here, never my bosses or my management dept. to find out.

So, what do we do now besides waiting? In previous years "talking about SWC" or "talking about the prompt" has always kind of been a thing and I recall previous threads were a bit more active, sometimes with people giving each other advice on pieces of writing and abstract suggestions, even. But I am not sure what else to do besides twiddling fingers really nervously.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • Venia Silente, Abby, Salzorrah, your entries are accepted! Forever, Cyabloom, your resubmissions are accepted!

Just to confirm, you did receive my entry, right? I've never tagged multiple people in PM's before, so I wanted to make sure i did it correctly.

So, what do we do now besides waiting? In previous years "talking about SWC" or "talking about the prompt" has always kind of been a thing and I recall previous threads were a bit more active, sometimes with people giving each other advice on pieces of writing and abstract suggestions, even. But I am not sure what else to do besides twiddling fingers really nervously.

Lets talk about the prompt then! I looked up the definition of the word "magic" and found that the supernatural qualifies as magic, so I have a lot of supernatural elements in my story. Well, its the main focus, so its the entire theme lol

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
  • Let that secret die here, never my bosses or my management dept. to find out.
    Plot twist: I am your boss

A frequent pastime in previous years of the SWC has been posting occasionally during the days of waiting, for the purpose of giving fellow contestants heart-palpitations when they see a new post and think the results might be in. :D

BadSheep said:
    Just to confirm, you did receive my entry, right? I've never tagged multiple people in PM's before, so I wanted to make sure i did it correctly.
    Your name's on the list of entrants on the front page, so you should be good. I think Bay was just listing the people who submitted during extension-time, and you met the original deadline.

Lets talk about the prompt then! I looked up the definition of the word "magic" and found that the supernatural qualifies as magic, so I have a lot of supernatural elements in my story. Well, its the main focus, so its the entire theme lol
    There are a lot of different ways to interpret "magic," which is part of why it's such a nice prompt. My story takes place hundreds of years ago, and in it "magic" is an emerging human tool as they slowly gain the upper-hand over Pokemon.

Last edited:

LillithSilver

Tooth & Eye
    Years
  • Ah, I just realized I completely forgot to post that I sent mine in! I mean, I'm still on the list of entrants but I'm really sorry about that...

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • Your name's on the list of entrants on the front page, so you should be good. I think Bay was just listing the people who submitted during extension-time, and you met the original deadline.

Thanks. I didnt think to check there.

There are a lot of different ways to interpret "magic," which is part of why it's such a nice prompt. My story takes place hundreds of years ago, and in it "magic" is an emerging human tool as they slowly gain the upper-hand over Pokemon.

Interesting premise. I dont know how to describe mine without spoiling it or providing an inaccurate description.

Years
  • Hrrrnnngh the time extension happened while I was asleep but whatever. Well on the topic of the prompt I had this idea of a phony magician getting a run in with the legendaries (because as people know I absolutely love the legendaries) then time constraints happened and I wrote something completely different.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
    Years
  • A frequent pastime in previous years of the SWC has been posting occasionally during the days of waiting, for the purpose of giving fellow contestants heart-palpitations when they see a new post and think the results might be in. :D

I can totally get into this game :p

Plot twist: I am your boss
    Well, you are the one who brings me to these contests, so... I guess that kinda sorta counts as something? Does that mean I can ask for a raise?

There's a lot that can be done with magic. The idea of what counts as magic and what counts not, by itself, is tremendously abstract and relies heavily in the cultural weight of the difference between the mundane and the supernatural. It also relies somewhat in how loose the word has become, for example, we usually speak of magic not only for refering to particular skills or intrinsic properties fo the world, but also we have things like "the magic of the moment", or "one's magic touch".

For my entry I ended up going with the idea that it's easy to sell things as magic, regardless of whether they are or they are not the genuine article. "Magic" is as much in the eye of the beholder, themself beholden to their beliefs and expectations, as it is in in the hands of the performer of whether be an ancient craft or a sleigh-of-hand.

Bay

Years
  • To BadSheep, yeah the names I mentioned earlier are those that turned/resubmitted in their stories after the extension. Your name is on the list, so you're good.

To LilithSilver, don't worry it happens. I'm nice enough to include you on the list already haha.

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
    Years
  • I interpreted magic in both concrete and abstract situations imo. Honestly, I'm kinda excited about this ngl. I've never joined a small writing competition before so this is a new experience for me. Would've written more if time constraints weren't a thing, but then again, I wouldn't have written anything if there wasn't a deadline so :P

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Mine was based around a dream I had initially then I ended with something else magical/suspicious. There's an underlying tone of magic but it isn't revealed until the end and then the reader decides whether it was real/whether the character is crazy etc

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back